Noir: A Novel by Christopher Moore

Noir: A Novel

by Christopher Moore

2472066,425 (3.81)11

Take a slightly dysfunctional bartender, throw in a beautiful dame, a corrupt cop, a deadly snake, a secret society for wealthy men, a general, a couple of men in black, and an alien with a penchant for blowing things up (but mostly cows), set them all in western US in 1947 and you’ve got Noir by Christopher Moore. It’s a zany, action-packed, extremely entertaining send-up of post-war noir and it had me giggling throughout.

Thanks to Edelweiss+ and Wm Morrow Publishing for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review ( )
  lostinalibrary | Sep 11, 2018 |
About halfway through Noir, sweat started pouring out of me like beer at a Delta House toga party and my gut wrenched hard as if a Mike Tyson body shot found home. I was afraid. I’d been here before. Like yesterday’s déjà vu redux.

I didn’t want to believe a book could be so cruel, like a dame, leading you on and leading you on, then leaving footprints on your stomach as she walks out of your heart. Heels. Always in heels.

I was having a good time. What if it ended with a hard fall just like that? I shook it off and read on into the night. I had to…

As I closed my Kindle app and the glow of my iPad faded off into the foggy night, I took a long last look back…It was done. And it was good. Very good.

“You. Yeah, you. Author Guy. We’ll meet again, we will. Soon.” ( )
  mtbass | Aug 31, 2018 |
We'd just finished a Nordic Noir mystery on the car drive up from Charleston to Canada, and picked this as our next book. Fantastic. We listened to the audible version, and the reader had the perfect voice for this novel. As much as I enjoyed the novel itself, the afterward by the author was great, and , oddly enough really personal, as I'd read just about everything he mentioned in it for the time, and knew some of the authors. Christopher Moore has yet to disappoint. ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 19, 2018 |
It’s 1947 in San Francisco, and bartender Sammy’s life is about to change forever. Not only is he smitten with the gorgeous blonde Stilton (as in The Cheese), but she’s smitten with him too. But there have been strange things going on of late, including sightings of UFOs and something weird happening in Roswell, New Mexico, and the air force general leading the base there has come to San Francisco in a bid to be invited to join the Bohemian Club. He asks Sammy to help him achieve that end, and before too long all sorts of plans are going awry….Christopher Moore writes very funny stories, and his spoofing of hard-boiled noir from the 1940s is very funny indeed. He does put in a disclaimer at the very beginning, noting that the language used in 1940s America concerning gender, race and culture could be offensive to some readers, but if you can’t separate the satire of the story from the author, you probably wouldn’t like this book anyway. Given that he throws in everything but the proverbial kitchen sink, it’s quite a delicious guilty pleasure to watch him juggle all the balls he throws into the air in this book; a lot of fun. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Aug 5, 2018 |
Christopher Moore’s fantasy novels have explored a wide variety of topics, from vampires to Shakespeare to Jesus, with his characteristic humor and unique perspective. In his latest outing, Noir, Moore takes on the stereotypical hard-boiled detective stories set in the post-WWII era. At the front of the book is a disclaimer that reminds readers that the story’s historical and cultural context differs greatly from today’s, and that some may find the attitudes and vocabulary of the characters offensive if viewed through a contemporary lens. Sammy “Two Toes” Tiffin is a salty character working a bar in 1947 San Francisco. As in many Noir tales, he encounters a mysterious and alluring femme fatale who saunters into the bar one night, and he is immediately entranced by her. Sammy attempts to continue their flirtation while chasing down a money-making scheme involving poisonous snakes and the elders of Chinatown. His boss also wants him to use his connections to obtain some “company” for a party thrown by a General from the area of Roswell. Of course, with Moore at the helm, things soon spin off into strange and amusing territory, tying together the different character and plot elements. Noir is fast-paced and witty, but probably not Moore’s best. In attempting to parody the hard-boiled genre, he piles on the misogynistic and racial stereotypes he is trying to skewer. Some might find the result to be a bit tiresome and repetitious. Still, Moore is always entertaining and innovative, making Noir a worthwhile addition to a list of summer reads. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |
This book is for Jeff Mong, my friend.

A "standalone novel set on the mean streets of San Francisco in the aftermath of World War II"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Christopher Moore's book Noir is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,988,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible