Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Spirituality for the Skeptic: The Thoughtful…

Spirituality for the Skeptic: The Thoughtful Love of Life (original 2002; edition 2006)

by Robert C. Solomon

125None140,997 (3.82)1
Member:LaLaLucy
Title:Spirituality for the Skeptic: The Thoughtful Love of Life
Authors:Robert C. Solomon
Info:Oxford University Press, USA (2006), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 176 pages

Spirituality for the Skeptic: The Thoughtful Love of Life by Robert C. Solomon (2002)

No reviews
This is what happens to us in music: First one has to learn to hear a figure and melody at all, to detect and distinguish it, to isolate it and delimit it as a separate life. Then it requires some exertion and good will to tolerate it in spite of its strangeness, to be patient with its appearance and expression, and kindhearted about its oddity. Finally there comes a moment when we are used to it, when we wait for it, when we sense that we should miss it if it were missing; and now it continues to compel and enchant us relentlessly until we have become its humble and enraptured lovers who desire nothing better from the world than it and only it.
But that is what happens to us not only in music. That is how we have learned to love all things that we now love. . . . Even those who love themselves will have learned it in this way; for there is no other way. Love, too, has to be learned.
--Friedrich Nietzsche, The Gay Science
We are here on earth to fart around. Don't let anybody ever tell you different.
--Kurt Vonnegut, Timequake
For Kathy,

and for Betty Sue, Paul, Sam, Jacquie,
Fithjof, Roger, Steve, and Cynthia

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0195312139, Paperback)

Is it possible to be spiritual and yet not believe in the supernatural? Can a person be spiritual without belonging to a religious group or organization?
In Spirituality for the Skeptic, philosopher Robert Solomon explores what it means to be spiritual in today's pluralistic world. Based on Solomon's own struggles to reconcile philosophy with religion, this book offers a model of a vibrant, fulfilling spirituality that embraces the complexities of human existence and acknowledges the joys and tragedies of life. Solomon has forged an enlightened new path that synthesizes spirituality with emotions, intellect, science, and common sense. His new paradigm, "naturalized" spirituality, establishes as its cornerstone the "thoughtful love of life"--a passionate concern for the here-and-now, and not the by-and-by. Being spiritual doesn't mean being holed up as a recluse, spending hours in meditation and contemplation, Solomon argues. It demands involvement and emotional engagement with others in the struggle to find meaning in our lives. As such, this modern-day spirituality encompasses a passionate enthusiasm for the world, the transformation of self, cosmic trust and rationality, coming to terms with fate, and viewing life as a gift, all of which are explored in depth throughout this book.
Spirituality for the Skeptic answers the need for a non-institutional, non-dogmatic spirituality that leads to personal fulfillment and satisfaction. By examining the ideas of great thinkers from Socrates and Nietzsche to Buddha to Kafka, Solomon arrives at a practical vision of spirituality that should appeal to many seekers looking to make sense of the human condition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:45 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,467,440 books! | Top bar: Always visible