The Big Sky by A. B. Guthrie Jr.

The Big Sky (original 1947; edition 2002)

by A. B. Guthrie Jr.

Member:TheAlternativeOne
Title:The Big Sky
Authors:A. B. Guthrie Jr.
Info:Mariner Books (2002), Edition: 1, Paperback, 400 pages
Rating:*****

The Big Sky by Jr. A. B. Guthrie (1947)

I liked this story of mountain men and the early west. ( )
  Bruce_Deming | Feb 5, 2016 |
The original beaver-hunting mountain man novel. Montana in 1830s.
Read Samoa Aug 2003 ( )
  mbmackay | Nov 28, 2015 |
My father read this book in the 1960s when he was serving as a fire lookout for the Forest Service. We have often discussed what it was like to live in the lookout tower for three months at a time. He told me this book really helped him survive that first time he did this, and that for him it was "the Great American Novel." It is a very powerful book about a mountain man, Boone Caudill (seriously, is there a better mountain man name than that? It is the ur-mountain man name). It is not a happy book, but it is a memorable look at a short time in American history (pre-Civil War in the American West) when men could actually decide to be mountain men and trap beaver for a living. Much of the plot concerns the ways in which Native Americans and white people met, fought, and sometimes cooperated, and the differences and similarities in their lifestyles. The dialect is really interesting, a far cry from Mark Twain, lots of profanity and colorful expressions. It rang very true to me, though I am no scholar of the Old West. This was also a tragedy, in the Greek sense, in that you could see the trajectory of the hero and know from the get-go that it was not going to end happily. I can see why my father loved it so much when he was a young man coping with isolation in the wilderness that was very different but not entirely dissimilar from the lifestyle described in the book. I am very happy that I read it. It should be more widely known, but I think it is one of those books that was written in the mid-20th century that was famous in its day and has been at least partly forgotten. This is a shame. Read this book, you won't soon forget it. ( )
7 vote anna_in_pdx | Oct 13, 2013 |
I loved the languid flow of this book. It also occurred to me while reading it that Westerns are a genre that is rich, and neglected, and worth reconsidering. Here is one to start with, if you haven't read them before. ( )
1 vote poingu | Mar 30, 2013 |
Novel about the fur traders of the west by a friend -I think former student? --of my mother's. Vividly written --more serious than the average "western" ( )
  antiquary | Feb 18, 2013 |

Guthrie, A. B., Jr.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Foley, kevinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my father
Serena Caudill heard a step outside and then the squeak of the cabin door and knew that John was coming in.

A classic portrait of America's vast frontier that inspired the Western genre in fiction.

Originally published more than fifty years ago, The Big Sky is the first of A. B. Guthrie Jr.'s epic adventure novels set in the American West. Here he introduces Boone Caudill, Jim Deakins, and Dick Summers: traveling the Missouri River from St. Louis to the Rockies, these frontiersmen live as trappers, traders, guides, and explorers. The story centers on Caudill, a young Kentuckian driven by a raging hunger for life and a longing for the blue sky and brown earth of big, wild places. Caught up in the freedom and savagery of the wilderness, Caudill becomes an untamed mountain man, whom only the beautiful daughter of a Blackfoot chief dares to love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Relates the adventures of Boone Caudill, a mountain man in the American West of the mid-nineteenth century.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,265,121 books! | Top bar: Always visible