The Tie That Binds by Kent Haruf

The Tie That Binds (original 1984; edition 2000)

by Kent Haruf

474None21,779 (4)13
Member:deidrechristensen
Title:The Tie That Binds
Authors:Kent Haruf
Info:Vintage (2000), Edition: Vintage Contemporaries ed, Paperback, 246 pages
Rating:***

The Tie That Binds by Kent Haruf (1984)

I think this is quite possibly Kent Haruf's best book, which is a surprise because the books that followed it were all fantastic, but for a writers first book to be this good, does not happen often.
The story is about Edith Goodnough a woman living on the plains of Colorado and what she has had to endure in her 80 years living there. It is told by her neighbor Sanders Roscoe. That's it, that is all the book is about. The writing- the story telling skills- of this author are extremely rare, you have a good idea what is going to happen around each turn in the story, but as the reader you don't care, because the writing is that good. ( )
  zmagic69 | Mar 31, 2014 |
Every tale has two sides and what you see may not be the reality of what really happened. Go back in time and follow the story of Eighty-year-old Edith Goodnough and discover why she is in the hospital facing murder charges. Discover the roads that she traveled to become what she is and hear the story from the boy who loved her with all his heart.

I personally love Ken Haruf's books. I first read Plainsongs last month and had to mooch the rest of his books and I must say this one touched me as much as plainsongs did. It made me cry by the end and left me wishing for more. I give it rave reviews and recommend it for anyone who likes small town stories and insight into human nature. ( )
  Appliquetion | Jun 2, 2011 |
I read this several years back and it literally took the wind out of me. I was stunned, heart-broken, happy, sad, a totally satisfying read. ( )
  shesinplainview | Mar 14, 2010 |
I wanted to clap when I finished this book. ( )
  chuckpetty | Oct 15, 2009 |
This was one of the better novels I've read in a while.
  ckavich | Feb 4, 2009 |
for Ginger and Mark
Edith Goodnough isn't in the country anymore.

Colorado, January 1977. Eighty-year-old Edith Goodnough lies in a hospital bed, IV taped to the back of her hand, police officer at her door. She is charged with murder. The clues: a sack of chicken feed slit with a knife, a milky-eyed dog tied outdoors one cold afternoon. The motives: the brutal business of farming and a family code of ethics as unforgiving as the winter prairie itself.

In his critically acclaimed first novel, Kent Haruf delivers the sweeping tale of a woman of the American High Plains, as told by her neighbor, Sanders Roscoe. As Roscoe shares what he knows, Edith's tragedies unfold: a childhood of pre-dawn chores, a mother's death, a violence that leaves a father dependent on his children, forever enraged. Here is the story of a woman who sacrifices her happiness in the name of family--and then, in one gesture, reclaims her freedom. Breathtaking, determinedly truthful, The Tie That Binds is a powerfully eloquent tribute to the arduous demands of rural America, and of the tenacity of the human spirit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:02:40 -0400)

As elderly Edith Goudnough lies in a hospital bed, accused of murder, her neighbor, Sanders Roscoe, tells what he knows of her life: "a childhood of pre-dawn chores, a mother's death, a violence that leaves a father dependent on his children, forever enraged."--Cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,431,075 books! | Top bar: Always visible