Tears Of A Tiger by Sharon M. Draper

Tears Of A Tiger

by Sharon M. Draper

I read this for a particular purpose. I was interested in seeing how a multi-genre book was put together for a project I'm working on for class. Draper's use of school announcements, letters, poetry, telephone conversations, and therapy sessions was interesting. The story itself was gripping and I used several tissues towards the end to keep from crying. ( )
  tmscott13 | Jan 23, 2016 |
This book wasn't bad. I didn't get that into it, but I can see how it is a good book for teenagers. ( )
  klburnside | Nov 4, 2015 |
5/5 stars
You can find all my reviews here

That's what I remember--and that's what I'll never be able to forget.As a freshman in high school I was really depressed. I found this book in my English teacher’s room and asked to borrow it, thinking it sounded interesting. What I got was more than that. I got an experience I took with me forever. Sharon M Draper’s Hazelwood High trilogy has stuck with me since the day I started it and today I decided to revisit the first book, Tears of a Tiger.I loved everything about this book, just as I did when I read it at the age of fourteen. I understood and connected with Andy more than I could with most characters I’ve read about in the past. I loved the formatting of it. From conversations to newspaper clippings, it was always changing forcing me to keep paying attention. The chapters are short, and every word, every detail aims to serve a purpose. A few amazed me during the reread. First, it’s amazing how much she made me care for the characters without much insight into their minds. We only get to see what they would want people to see for the most part. Second, how much I cried even knowing what was going to happen. Finally, how well she set things up for the second book.I recommend this book to everyone. It’s powerful, emotional, and deals with a subject matter people tend to avoid in my experience. Thank you Sharon M Draper for writing a book that has meant so much to me over the years. ( )
  MarandaNicole | Jul 15, 2015 |
Not as great as Forged by Fire...but good. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Not as great as Forged by Fire...but good. ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
A man shrieks in pain

Crying to the universe.

Panic is abrupt.

This book is dedicated, with love, to my parents, Victor and Catherine Mills, who gave me wings to fly.
Teen basketball star killed in fiery crash.

Andy Jackson was driving the car that crashed one night after a game, killing Robert Washington, his best friend and the captain of the Hazelwood High Tigers. It was late, and they'd been drinking, and now, months later, Andy can't stop blaming himself. As he turns away from family, friends, and even his girlfriend, he finds he's losing the most precious thing of all -- his ability to face the future.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0689806981, Mass Market Paperback)

When Gerald was a child he was fascinated by fire. But fire is dangerous and powerful, and tragedy strikes. His substance-addicted mother is taken from him. Then he loses the loving generosity of a favorite aunt. A brutal stepfather with a flaming temper and an evil secret makes his life miserable. The one bright light in Gerald's life is his little half sister, Angel, whom he struggles to protect from her father, Jordan Sparks, who abuses her, and from their mother, whose irresponsible behavior forces Gerald to work hard to keep the family together.

As a teenager, Gerald finds success as a member of the Hazelwood Tigers basketball team, while Angel develops her talents as a dancer. Trouble still haunts them, however, and Gerald learns, painfully, that young friends can die and old enemies must be faced. In the end he must stand up to his stepfather alone in a blazing confrontation.

Sharon M. Draper has interwoven characters and events from her previous novel, Tears of a Tiger, in this unflinchingly realistic portrayal of poverty and child abuse. It is an inspiring story of a young man who rises above the tragic circumstances of his life by drawing on the love and strength of family and friends.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:58 -0400)

The death of high school basketball star Rob Washington in an automobile accident affects the lives of his close friend Andy, who was driving the car, and many others in the school.

Sharon M. Draper is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,489,815 books! | Top bar: Always visible