Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West…

Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Mara Leveritt

Member:nikkiluvsez
Title:Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three
Authors:Mara Leveritt
Info:Atria (2003), Paperback, 432 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:wm3

Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt (2002)

Took me a little while to get through this one not because it was bad, but i had other thing's going on. Anyway, this book had me shaking my through the whole thing these kids were innocent yet served 10 yrs in jail. I can't even explain my feeling on this book. ( )
  elizmiller06 | Aug 8, 2016 |
It is hard to describe how I feel after completing this book. Obviously what happened to the 3 young boys was awful...just unimaginable. Had I been on either of the juries, I may have had reasonable doubt when it came to the guilt of the teens convicted which in our country, is enough to free someone and in this case, it is hard to believe that 2 separate juries didn't have reasonable doubt. There was ZERO physical evidence and alibis and more than one shady stepparent in the lives of the young boys who should have been investigated. ( )
  ER1116 | Jan 13, 2016 |
Interesting perspective. Of course, at this date, information is outdated. ( )
  gail616 | Sep 13, 2015 |
Incredibly detailed account of the crime, investigation, and legal proceedings covering about ten years. Educational for me, and interesting mainly because of the recurring irregularities in the investigations and trials.Thought-provoking. ( )
  TrgLlyLibrarian | Feb 1, 2015 |
"Children don't write their own tragedies. That is the work of adults."

The story of the West Memphis 3 is a sad, infuriating tale of the corruption of law and how appearences and interests other than the "norm" are grounds to convict someone rather than actual evidence. Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley Jr. were sentenced for false accusations and a forced confession that were illogically believable. But even so, that did not save the three from being thrown behind bars.
This story I had heard of when I was a teenager, so when I came across this book i wanted to delve more into it. I did not know until now how savagely the court systems had prejudice against these three men and how their charges should of never been founded.
I can only encourage a reader who is thinking of reading this book to definitly do so for it will show the facts that these men were wrongfully convicted and that you can't always trust the law. ( )
  brittaleigh85 | Dec 4, 2014 |
Occult. 1. Hidden (from sight); concealed (by something interposed); not exposed to view. 2. Not discolosed or divulged, privy, secret; kept secret; communicated only to the initiated. 3. Not apprehended, or not apprehensible, by the mind; beyond the range of understanding or ordinary knowledge; recondite; mysterious. 4. Of the nature of or pertaining to those ancient and medieval reputed sciences (or their modern representatives) held to involve the knowledge or use of agencies of a secret and mysterious nature (as magic, alchemy, astrology, theosophy, and the like); also treating of or versed in these; magical, mystical.

Oxford English Dictionary
To LSB,
with love and gratitude.
Prologue
Were the West Memphis trials witch trials?
Part One
______________________
The Investigation

Chapter One
The Murders
At 7:41 P.M. on May 5, 1993, a full moon rose behind the Memphis skyline.

*SOON TO BE A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE STARRING REESE WITHERSPOON AND COLIN FIRTH *

The West Memphis Three. Accused, convicted…and set free. Do you know their story?

In 2011, one of the greatest miscarriages of justice in American legal history was set right when Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin, and Jessie Misskelley were released after eighteen years in prison. Award-winning journalist Mara Leveritt’s The Devil’s Knot remains the most comprehensive, insightful reporting ever done on the investigation, trials, and convictions of three teenage boys who became known as the West Memphis Three.

For weeks in 1993, after the murders of three eight-year-old boys, police in West Memphis, Arkansas seemed stymied. Then suddenly, detectives charged three teenagers—alleged members of a satanic cult—with the killings. Despite the witch-hunt atmosphere of the trials, and a case which included stunning investigative blunders, a confession riddled with errors, and an absence of physical evidence linking any of the accused to the crime, the teenagers were convicted. Jurors sentenced Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley to life in prison and Damien Echols, the accused ringleader, to death. The guilty verdicts were popular in their home state—even upheld on appeal—and all three remained in prison until their unprecedented release in August 2011.

With close-up views of its key participants, this award-winning account unravels the many tangled knots of this endlessly shocking case, one which will shape the American legal landscape for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:30 -0400)

The award-winning investigative journalist takes readers deep inside the 1993 slayings of three boys in West Memphis, Arkansas, revealing the overzealous prosecution that may have improperly convicted three teenagers.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,107,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible