The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L.…

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (original 1902; edition 2008)

by L. Frank Baum

Member:weber93
Title:The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Digireads.com (2008), Paperback, 88 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle Edition, For Charis' Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:L. Frank Baum, male authors, American authors, fiction, fantasy, children's literature, 20th century, classic, Theosophist authors, Christmas, Santa Claus

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (1902)

Interesting take on the Santa Claus legend. Baum envisions NeClaus as a human child raised by nymphs before making his way in the world in hopes of bringing joy to the children of the world by making (and inventing the idea of toys). Along the way, we chimnies, reindeer, and much of the Christmas mythology is explained by Baum.

In Baum's vision, Santa Claus is completely severed from his Christian origin, in the life of the 4th century St. Nicholas. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Meh. At times charming, other times dry. It almost felt like Baum was going down a list of characteristics of Santa Claus he wanted to include and, one by one, marked them off as he fit them into his story. Also, I don't know why, but I had a hard time believing the Fairies as such benign, helpful peoples.

Recommended to parents, caregivers and/or teachers who want to read a Christmas-themed tale to their younger kids during the holiday season. Adults, especially fans of the Oz books, might find themselves underwhelmed.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Dec 27, 2016 |
I absolutely love Baum's take on Santa Claus. I remember seeing the Rankin & Bass animated special based on this years ago, but never realized it was a book until years later when I saw it on a shelf in my local bookstore. Even then, it didn't click until I started reading it and got into the story that certain elements seemed familiar to me.

The book originally drew me in when I saw it was written by L. Frank Baum. How could I pass up a book about the life of Santa written by the creator of Oz? For a few years now, I've wanted to make reading this a regular Christmas tradition, but I keep getting sidetracked by other things, so this year I was determined to return to Claus's fairy tale origins.

Instead of any sort of religious angle, Baum goes for much more fairy tale and folklore. He explains Claus's connections to the magical, how he first started to make toys, how he started to deliver, how the Christmas Eve date was chosen, and even how the traditions of stockings and Christmas trees began. Baum also covers how Claus became immortal and even includes a great battle between the forces of Good and Evil for the sake of this one very special man who has become such a figure in our storytelling.

Baum's version is the best I've ever seen, and that's why I want to make it a regular tradition to read it, either to myself or others, each and every Christmas. I'd also like to watch the Rankin & Bass version again some time if I can find it. ( )
  regularguy5mb | Dec 26, 2016 |
So this was the basis for one of my favorite Christmas specials, which they don't show often enough (I am referring to the 1985 version). Baum's story of Santa Claus does take out the religious aspect and focuses more on the fantasy and fairy aspect. At times, there is a feeling of how long is this going to go on, but there is a certain charm to the story. ( )
  Chrisethier | Dec 14, 2016 |
Cute and quaint. ( )
  BraveNewBks | Mar 10, 2016 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionscalculated
Apple, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Clark, Mary CowlesIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shelley, JohnIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son Harry Neal Baum
Have you heard of the great Forest of Burzee?
Have you heard of the great forest of Burzee?

A beautiful new edition of L. Frank Baum's Christmas classic with illustrations by Michael Hague

Every child knows about Santa Claus, the jolly man who brings gifts to all on Christmas. There are many stories that tell of his life, but the delightful version relayed in The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus is by far the most charming and original of all. Only L. Frank Baum, the man who created the wonderful land of Oz, could have told Santa's tale in such rich and imaginative detail.

Acclaimed children's artist Michael Hague has created strikingly beautiful illustrations for this wondrous holiday story. In delicate ink drawings and lush watercolor paintings he brings to life that most beloved of all childhood heroes, Santa Claus, in a gorgeous Christmas classic that will be cherished for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

A human foundling child, adopted by a wood-nymph and raised by the creatures who inhabit a magical forest, grows up to be the immortal Santa Claus.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,334,199 books! | Top bar: Always visible