The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L.…

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (original 1902; edition 2008)

by L. Frank Baum

Member:weber93
Title:The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Digireads.com (2008), Paperback, 88 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle Edition, For Charis' Kindle
Rating:***1/2
Tags:L. Frank Baum, male authors, American authors, fiction, fantasy, children's literature, 20th century, classic, Theosophist authors, Christmas, Santa Claus

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (1902)

This is a sweet book introducing the world to the man behind the bright red suit. From the time he's abandoned as a baby and adopted by fairies, to his first trip through the countryside with reindeer, every aspect of the Santa Claus myth is explained. I loved that at its heart it's a story of seeing the harsh reality in the world and deciding to be the change that you want. Santa Claus is depicted as a generous, loving man who wants to make children happy. The origins of his toy making skills and chimney entrances are explained in a playful and satisfying way. Such a wonderful Christmas tale! ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 30, 2014 |
This book has been made into a cartoon movie that I came upon one Christmas season but it was only bits and pieces that I saw. I was caught by the movie but unfortunately I couldn't get the channel to tell me what the show was nor could I figure it out so it disappeared back into the darkness of oblivion for me even though I kept thinking about it.

A few years ago my sister found out that it was actually a book and the author while she chose to gift this book for me for my birthday instead of the movie. I have read it and enjoyed it while hoping still someday that I will be able to finish the movie.

L. Frank Baum has never been much of an author for me although I must say his books are much better than the movie adaptations. As the knowledge came to me for the author I was disappointed a bit. Just like his famous series this book is inhabited with creatures, plants and beings that have come from Baum's creative mind. They are based upon life but given a new meaning that defies the archaic beliefs such as fairies that aren't repulsed by metal but instead act as guardians of mankind.

What caught my attention with this book is the fact that this book is about the generosity of man and that are efforts are never in vain. It gives a very reasonable and sturdy framework that seems to answer all the questions that one may have for Santa Claus including his origins, how he has lived for so long and why certain Christmas traditions have come into being. It goes into the history of children having been forsaken or neglected by their parents until one person (the famous Claus) chose to have pity and make it his mission to ease the troubles of their life until they are made by nature to take it up.

This is definitely no Nativity tale and mentions nothing of the Lord Jesus but Baum still admits that even in his world of immortals there is a Supreme Being who is still in charge.

The plot and writing is simple to follow while the story is quite beautiful in my opinion. This is definitely one of my favorite Christmas-time tales. And for me it is a classic! ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Sep 15, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story of the baby who grows up to become Santa. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |
One of my all time favorite books. when each of my kids entered 3rd grade I would buy a copy and donate it to the class to be read aloud by the teacher. ( )
  JaneeKline | Jun 17, 2013 |
A fun read about the origins of Santa Claus. Quite different from the old TV specials. ( )
  TnTexas | Mar 31, 2013 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Apple, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son Harry Neal Baum
Have you heard of the great Forest of Burzee?

A beautiful new edition of L. Frank Baum's Christmas classic with illustrations by Michael Hague

Every child knows about Santa Claus, the jolly man who brings gifts to all on Christmas. There are many stories that tell of his life, but the delightful version relayed in The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus is by far the most charming and original of all. Only L. Frank Baum, the man who created the wonderful land of Oz, could have told Santa's tale in such rich and imaginative detail.

Acclaimed children's artist Michael Hague has created strikingly beautiful illustrations for this wondrous holiday story. In delicate ink drawings and lush watercolor paintings he brings to life that most beloved of all childhood heroes, Santa Claus, in a gorgeous Christmas classic that will be cherished for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

A human foundling child, adopted by a wood-nymph and raised by the creatures who inhabit a magical forest, grows up to be the immortal Santa Claus.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,405,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible