The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L.…

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus (original 1902; edition 2008)

by L. Frank Baum

Title:The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Digireads.com (2008), Paperback, 88 pages
Collections:Your library, Read, Kindle Edition, For Charis' Kindle
Tags:L. Frank Baum, male authors, American authors, fiction, fantasy, children's literature, 20th century, classic, Theosophist authors, Christmas, Santa Claus

The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus by L. Frank Baum (1902)

In The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, L. Frank Baum creates a unique life history for the jolly old elf from his infancy through to his achievement of immortality. Baum's Santa lives in a valley adjacent to Oz and interacts with fairy folk like those in his more famous body of work. Like the Oz stories, Baum's writing here is characterized by unadulterated joy and optimism, without condescending to his audience. Indeed, both adults and children can enjoy his writing. While certain elements of Baum's Santa Claus differ from what has become the standard, the essence of the character is still present. Parents can easily add this book to the list of traditional holiday books to share with their children while Oz enthusiasts will delight in Santa's backstory after seeing him in The Road to Oz, the fifth book in the Oz series. ( )
  DarthDeverell | Nov 8, 2015 |
I’ve read the first few Oz books from Baum, and I’m enjoying that series. It’s fun and imaginative. That’s what I thought of this book as well, though only to a lesser extent. That’s not to say this book is worse than those of the Oz series, it’s just a different side of Baum’s writing.

The Santa Claus mythology we know today varies from culture to culture and generation to generation. While I’ve long outgrown the holiday traditions from my childhood, this book didn’t lack in a story to draw me in and think about Santa again in my 26th year of life. Baum, like he’s known for, was able to create in a short novel, a vast world full of magic and creatures that life just outside of the human realm. Some elements are recognizable, and others may have been Baum’s own creation. not being a Santa scholar, I’ll take it as what it is, an origin story of Baum’s own mind. A refreshing one for me as a reader who grew up with Tim Allen’s Santa and many other very different versions.

I’m glad I finally picked this one up. I continue to enjoy Baum’s stories for children and only wish I discovered them at a much earlier age to have enjoyed them all by this time in my life. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 15, 2015 |
This book has been made into a cartoon movie that I came upon one Christmas season but it was only bits and pieces that I saw. I was caught by the movie but unfortunately I couldn't get the channel to tell me what the show was nor could I figure it out so it disappeared back into the darkness of oblivion for me even though I kept thinking about it.

A few years ago my sister found out that it was actually a book and the author while she chose to gift this book for me for my birthday instead of the movie. I have read it and enjoyed it while hoping still someday that I will be able to finish the movie.

L. Frank Baum has never been much of an author for me although I must say his books are much better than the movie adaptations. As the knowledge came to me for the author I was disappointed a bit. Just like his famous series this book is inhabited with creatures, plants and beings that have come from Baum's creative mind. They are based upon life but given a new meaning that defies the archaic beliefs such as fairies that aren't repulsed by metal but instead act as guardians of mankind.

What caught my attention with this book is the fact that this book is about the generosity of man and that are efforts are never in main. It gives a very reasonable and sturdy framework that seems to answer all the questions that one may have for Santa Claus including his origins, how he has lived for so long and why certain Christmas traditions have come into being. It goes into the history of children having been forsaken or neglected by their parents until one person (the famous Claus) chose to have pity and make it his mission to ease the troubles of their life until they are made by nature to take it up.

This is definitely no Nativity tale and mentions nothing of the Lord Jesus but Baum still admits that even in his world of immortals there is a Supreme Being who is still in charge.

The plot and writing is simple to follow while the story is quite beautiful in my opinion. This is definitely one of my favorite Christmas-time tales. And for me it is a classic! ( )
  flamingrosedrakon | Aug 26, 2015 |
This is a sweet book introducing the world to the man behind the bright red suit. From the time he's abandoned as a baby and adopted by fairies, to his first trip through the countryside with reindeer, every aspect of the Santa Claus myth is explained. I loved that at its heart it's a story of seeing the harsh reality in the world and deciding to be the change that you want. Santa Claus is depicted as a generous, loving man who wants to make children happy. The origins of his toy making skills and chimney entrances are explained in a playful and satisfying way. Such a wonderful Christmas tale! ( )
  bookworm12 | Dec 30, 2014 |
I enjoyed this story of the baby who grows up to become Santa. ( )
  leslie.98 | Jun 26, 2013 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Apple, MaxAfterwordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my son Harry Neal Baum
Have you heard of the great Forest of Burzee?

A beautiful new edition of L. Frank Baum's Christmas classic with illustrations by Michael Hague

Every child knows about Santa Claus, the jolly man who brings gifts to all on Christmas. There are many stories that tell of his life, but the delightful version relayed in The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus is by far the most charming and original of all. Only L. Frank Baum, the man who created the wonderful land of Oz, could have told Santa's tale in such rich and imaginative detail.

Acclaimed children's artist Michael Hague has created strikingly beautiful illustrations for this wondrous holiday story. In delicate ink drawings and lush watercolor paintings he brings to life that most beloved of all childhood heroes, Santa Claus, in a gorgeous Christmas classic that will be cherished for years to come.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:39 -0400)

A human foundling child, adopted by a wood-nymph and raised by the creatures who inhabit a magical forest, grows up to be the immortal Santa Claus.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible