The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by…

The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (edition 2019)

by Stuart Turton

Evelyn Hardcastle will be murdered at 11:00 p.m. There are eight days, and eight witnesses for you to inhabit. We will only let you escape once you tell us the name of the killer. Understood? Then let's begin ... Evelyn Hardcastle will die. Every day until Aiden Bishop can identify her killer and break the cycle. But every time the day begins again, Aiden wakes up in the body of a different guest. And some of his hosts are more helpful than others ... The most inventive debut of the year twists together a mystery of such unexpected creativity it will leave readers guessing until the very last page.… (more)
Member:JBD1
Title:The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle
Authors:Stuart Turton
Info:Sourcebooks Landmark
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Fiction, Read in 2020

The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton

Recently added byrena75, bondal, private library, Kayla.Krantz, Virago77
    Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz (souloftherose)
    Life After Life by Kate Atkinson (JenMDB)
    Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch (aliklein)
    An Instance of the Fingerpost by Iain Pears (nessreader)
    nessreader: Both high concept murder mysteries, both with multiple points of view and the reader constantly changing mind re: whodunnit
    The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell (sturlington)
    The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (JenMDB)

English (121)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (123)
I base my rating on his ability to keep all the balls in the air and remember who is who. That must have been a hell of a flow chart.
I must confess I was surprised at the ending but that is a good thing. ( )
  book58lover | Feb 11, 2020 |
The blurb asked me to imagine Gosford Park, Inception, Murder on Orient Express crossover-fic. Which both dates the reviewer and is a decent plot summary.

To humblebrag to myself, I guessed the killer quite early, fitting a _Homo narratus_ shaped hole into the story. But solving the murder still leaves a 100 pages of story to wrap up. There's an Ugly Rich Girl Who Can't Feel Love trope towards end that's a bit tacky, and some very glossed over rape plot, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyable.
1 vote thenumeraltwo | Feb 10, 2020 |
Don't even try to keep track of Turton's elaborately-constructed, time-contorting plot. Just enjoy the ride. Clever, funny, interesting and audacious. ( )
  bookappeal | Feb 8, 2020 |
Loved this intricate and tricksy novel, but I discovered pretty quickly that it was impossible to read before bed (at least not without re-reading whole sections the next night) because if I lost even a moment of the thread, I had to retrace my steps. Brilliantly done, and I will eagerly await the author's next tales. ( )
1 vote JBD1 | Feb 8, 2020 |
What an original story idea. As many have said, a cross between an Agatha Christie mystery and the movie Groundhog Day. I don’t usually give spoilers in my reviews, and I won’t in this one either, but I feel like it’s hard to talk about a lot of things without giving plot points and twists away, so this might be a really short review.
First of all, if you enjoy mysteries, just go read it.
I was a bit concerned when I saw the invitation at the beginning of the book and all the names, but The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle was written so well, I never became confused. This also takes place in the era around Downton Abbey, and while you get some of that era, if you’re not a huge fan (but isn’t everyone?!?) I think you’ll still enjoy this book because it’s not really in your face. In fact, after a bit, I stopped even thinking about what time it was set in.
I really enjoyed how something would show up in one character’s story and then two or three characters later you would see why it had happened. You continued to get mini mysteries throughout the larger mystery. Also, as Aiden became more characters, those character’s traits would stay with him. I thought Stuart Turton did a fabulous job writing how difficult these characteristics could be for Aiden.
The big reveal that is done isn’t quite up to Agatha Christie’s standards, but I still didn’t see it coming. And besides all the small mysteries and the large mystery, you also get ethics and morals incorporated into the story. You can either dwell on these and get your head spinning or you can just read it as a fun mystery.
Even though this came out in 2018 and it’s only January, I could see The 7 ½ Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle being on my top 10 books of 2020! ( )
  KimHeniadis | Jan 23, 2020 |
To my parents, who gave me everything and asked for nothing. My sister, first and fiercest of my readers from the bumblebees onwards. And my wife, whose love, encouragement, and reminders to look up from my keyboard once in a while, made this book so much more than I thought it could be.
I forget everything between footsteps.

It is meant to be a celebration but it ends in tragedy. As fireworks explode overhead, Evelyn Hardcastle, the young and beautiful daughter of the house, is killed.

But Evelyn will not die just once. Until Aiden – one of the guests summoned to Blackheath for the party – can solve her murder, the day will repeat itself, over and over again. Every time ending with the fateful pistol shot.

The only way to break this cycle is to identify the killer. But each time the day begins again, Aiden wakes in the body of a different guest. And someone is determined to prevent him ever escaping Blackheath...
Tapping in the dark
Solve the murder to go home
Jump from host to host
(passion4reading)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,304,324 books! | Top bar: Always visible