False Witness by Andrew Grant

False Witness

by Andrew Grant

3620445,023 (3.61)9

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free from Early Reviewers. I enjoyed this book. It's about a serial killer killing women on their 21st birthdays and they had babies as well. Did I guess the killer? You betcha! It didn't really make it hard with the letters written throughout the book... just sayin! I think it's part of a series but I was able to read it as a standalone. Ending was good... killer found and girlfriend can be with Devereaux. Nice and wrapped up in a bow. ( )
  booklover3258 | Oct 13, 2018 |
Even though this is Book #3...unless you are a RIO die hard... you don't have had to have read the first two books in order to follow this one. One thing that Andrew Grant excels at is throwing the reader false leads and red herrings. The characters are so well defined that each "suspect" seems like the right one...and then we are off on another chase. I have to admit even with all the suspects presented I didn't see the twist at the end of the story. I first "met" Andrew Grant in 2009 with the first book in his David Trevellyan series and have read everything that he has published since. Those that like police procedures and authors like James Patterson and Lee Child (Andrew's brother), will more than likely enjoy any of Andrew Grants books. ( )
  Carol420 | Apr 12, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Who is killing women on their 21st birthday and leaving them wrapped up in sheets as if they are presents? This is the case that Devereaux and his partner, Garretty, are handed when the first body shows up. As they work through the evidence, which there is not much, and check out the usual suspects they seem to be just spinning their wheels when a second body is found and an eye witness comes forward, but is the eyewitness believable. While this is going on Devereaux is working on a personal case that may lead to evidence that will prove his father's innocence. What about his relationship with Alexandra, will she be willing to take him back.

They lose a prime suspect, and some want the case closed at that, but some just does not sit right with Devereaux and keeps digging into both cases. He has a new suspect, but must release him for lack of evidence and another woman goes missing while he is in custody. Will he be able to solve this case and the personal one or are they both to be left up in the air as unsolved?

An excellent read and I look forward to more from Andrew Grant ( )
  qstewart | Feb 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A fast paced police procedural with engaging characters. This is the first book I've read by Andrew Grant,however, I will be seeking out others to read. ( )
  lewilliams | Feb 3, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed reading this book. This was the first book by this author I’ve read and I will be adding him to my list of authors to read. I want to start the series from the beginning although I didn’t feel like I was missing too much of the back story in this book.

I won an Advanced Reader Copy of this audio book from the Library Thing Early Reviewer Giveaway. ( )
  Barb_H | Feb 2, 2018 |
Between falsehood and useless truth there is little difference. As gold which he cannot spend will make no man rich, so knowledge which he cannot apply will make no man wise. - Dr. Samuel Johnson, The Idler #84, November 24, 1759.
For my father, Captain John Grant (1924-2016), who taught me never to bear false witness - and so much more besides.
One year ago. Last September, Lucas Paltrow saved Deborah Holt's life.

"Alabama police detective Cooper Devereaux chases a cunning serial killer terrorizing the city of Birmingham in this edge-of-your-seat thriller for readers of James Lee Burke, Craig Johnson, and Robert Crais. A woman disappears on her twenty-first birthday. The following day her body is found, wrapped neatly like a gift in a crumbling, sun-speckled graveyard. What does Detective Devereaux have to go on? Very little. No motive, no suspects. Then another victim is discovered in a crematorium parking lot. Again, she was killed on her twenty-first birthday. Again, her body was wrapped like a gift. By the third murder the tabloids have dubbed the homicidal monster the Birthday Killer--and Devereaux is under the gun. While Devereaux's own violent and mysterious past nips at his heels, and his fragile home life threatens to unravel, he can't afford to be anything but totally obsessed with the frantic search through the many layers of this city, from its wealthy enclaves to its dark criminal underbelly. The only certainty is that Devereaux is hunting a killer determined to fulfill a deranged agenda in which women's lives are extinguished like candles on a cake. Praise for Andrew Grant's False Friend "A suspenseful action-packed drama that is sure to please fans of the series and mystery/thriller lovers alike."--Library Journal "An incendiary thriller. Cooper is solid--decent, flawed, and entertaining."--Kirkus Reviews False Positive "Engrossing. Action-driven, the book's pace never stops until the startling conclusion, which will chill to the core."--RT Book Reviews (top pick) "Smashing."--Booklist RUN "An adrenaline-fueled thrill ride that will have your head spinning and your heart pounding."--Joseph Finder "Grant always delivers the goods. Relentless, twisty, and blistering-fast, RUN is a book you don't dare start at bedtime."--Sean Chercover"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Andrew Grant's book False Witness is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,511,194 books! | Top bar: Always visible