The Scarecrow of Oz by L. Frank Baum
    Sky Island by L. Frank Baum (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: Sky Island is the second book featuring Trot and Cap'n Bill and the last until their reintroduction in The Scarecrow of Oz.
    The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum (Hollerama)
    Hollerama: The characters of Trot and Cap'n Bill were first introduced in 1911's The Sea Fairies, which is not part of the Oz series.

Hmm . . . so I seem to have hit a wall in my enjoyment of this series. While I get that these books probably continued to enchant young readers, by this point I feel like Baum is just repeating himself. In this volume, we actually see a crossover with the main characters from his other books (outside of the Oz series.) These characters are Trot (a little girl) and Cap’n Bill (a one-legged sailor) from his books The Sea Fairies and Sky Island. Button-Bright is also in this, as he is a character from both series.

Trot and Cap’n Bill get sucked down a whirlpool and end up in a fairy kingdom. They meet a strange featherless bird with a propeller tail called an Ork, who becomes their friend, and go on many adventures. They first journey to the land of Mo (also from one of Baum’s other books - A New Wonderland, or, The Magical Monarch of Mo) where it snows popcorn and rains lemonade and a bumpy man sings them a song about a mountain.

Eventually, they do get to Oz, but they find themselves in Jinxland, a small kingdom that is cut off from Quadling Country by a harsh mountain range and isn’t protected by Ozma. Here, a cruel king named . . . King Krewl . . . (right, right, it’s a children’s book) has usurped the throne from its rightful heir, his niece, Princess Gloria. He is also trying to force her to marry a horrible old man named Googly-Goo. Princess Gloria is in love with a gardner’s boy named Pon who is also a prince, but his father was also deposed of by the wicked King Krewl, just as hers was.

Umm I’m not really sure why everyone had to be so intensely mean to Pon throughout the story. He gets beat up, beat with a stick, and just generally knocked about by the bad guys, but he also has to deal with our heroes repeatedly telling him he’s “just” a gardener’s boy and shouldn’t really have any right to be in love with the princess and that she could do better. He’s only allowed to marry her at the end because everyone concedes that his dad was sort of a king or something, even though they repeatedly tell him it didn’t really count and he’s not really a prince.

The wicked witches are back in this one, particularly a one-eyed witch named “Blinkie.” . . . cause she has a patch eye . . . Glinda the Good pulls a deus-ex-machina to land Scarecrow in Jinxland to sort out the plot and we get the usual "they all go to Oz and meet a parade of everyone from all the previous books" scene at the end.

Maybe I just need a break from this series, or maybe I’ve read enough to satisfy my curiosity. Definitely is a fantasy/children’s series to check out, though, but at this point I doubt I will make it through all fourteen of Baum’s Oz books. ( )
  catfantastic | Jan 25, 2015 |
Reread Winter 2004/2005 in Gutenberg
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
Baum's introduction explains that fan mail had demanded that the girl Trot and Cap'n Bill, whom he had originally created in a non-Oz story, should be brought into Oz, and so he had written this book to satisfy that demand. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 16, 2014 |
Baum's "The Scarecrow of Oz" sees two of his creations from another book finding their way to the land of oz. I personally had never been introduced to these other characters as I have never read the other book. This fact does not take away from the joy of reading this book though. In many ways it can add to it because after you are finished if you desire you can find another adventure containing them.

This book, out of all the oz books I have read to date, is probably my favorite of the series because it felt that Baum was comfortable with his own writing and also what he wanted to convey with this story about the land of oz. I have stated in my other reviews of the Oz books that there have been times that you could tell that Baum was over telling stories of this other world, but you can tell in this book that he was having fun. It seemed like a switch had finally went off in his head that he could still create wonderful characters regardless of them eventually ending up in Oz. This made this book very strong in my opinion.

The creatures while fantastical in nature, which is the point of new characters in these books to be larger than life, seemed to also be rooted in a more "real world" understanding of what a character is. The Ork is something that you would think you would see at any zoo you went to but you realize it was not a real bird ever. This contrasts to some of the creatures in the previous books that you felt could never exist in any capacity. Also these creatures seemed more geared towards a bit older generation, not adults but slightly older than a child, because he actually spends time describing things in a manner that he didn't do in the previous books that give the creatures/characters a different type of life. One that seems to again contrast with some of the other characters like the Woozy that was introduced in a previous volume that felt it was geared specifically for small children.

Baum has found himself as an author in my opinion in this book and as a result produced a book that is really wonderful to read. His books are never high literature by any mean nor do they have any particular deep message most of the time, but they are fun reads full of adventure and intrigue that are worth reading. ( )
1 vote EricPatterson | Mar 31, 2013 |
The Scarecrow of Oz, while not the best of Baum's Oz books, nevertheless contains some unforgettable characters. Of course, Trot, Cap'n Bill, Button-Bright, and the great Scarecrow himself are favorites. But this particular volume introduces such unforgettable personages as the featherless Ork, with his propeller tail, the Bumpy Man who lives in the Land of Mo, and the romantic Gloria and Pon. While these characters are memorable, the story is weak in the classic plot of strange characters and countries encountered while traveling. The only traveling in Oz, after the problems of Gloria and Pon have been solved, is made quite fantastically luxurious by the Wizard and the Scarecrow's little mishap seems to be an afterthought.

Verdict: It's worth reading for the dedicated Oz fan, and those not in love with all things Ozzy will find it worthwhile to read about the strange Ork and the magical Land of Mo. If your library collections Oz books, go ahead and add it, but otherwise it's not one you need - stick to the first three Oz titles for your basic collection.

ISBN: Various; Published by many different publishers at different times, there are several reprints currently available; Purchased for my collection (cheap paperback edition, I'm still looking for one of the older editions)
  JeanLittleLibrary | Oct 25, 2011 |

L. Frank Baumprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Neill, John ReaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to "The Uplifters" of Los Angeles, California, in grateful appreciation of the pleasure I have derived from association with them, and in recognition of their sincere endeavor to uplift humanity through kindness, consideration and good-fellowship. They are big men - all of them - all with the generous hearts of little children.
"Seems to me," said Cap'n Bill, as he sat beside Trot under the big acacia tree, looking out over the blue ocean, "seems to me, Trot, as how the more we know, the more we find we don't know."

Come along on a magical journey to Oz with a whole new group of intrepid adventurers.

Trot, a young girl from California, and her peg-legged sailor friend, Cap'n Bill, find themselves on a perilous and exciting voyage when a whirlpool leaves them stranded in an underwater cave. There they are befriended by a most curious creature--the Ork. With four paddle-like wings, legs like a stork's, a parrot's head, and a tail like a propeller, the Ork proves to be a very welcome and helpful companion.

After escaping the cave, the three friends make their way to the magical Land of Mo, where it snows popcorn and rains lemonade. Here they find Button-Bright--lost once again and eager to join in their adventures.

Together, the four travel across the deadly desert and into the Land of Oz, only to find themselves in new troubles with the scowling King Krewl and Blinkie, a wicked witch. But when everything seems its worst, who should come to their rescue but the Scarecrow of Oz himself! Thanks to the Scarecrow's wondrous brains, our friends just might have a chance to prevail against their heartless enermes.

With twelve glowing color plates and over one hundred black-and-white drawings by Oz artist John R. Neill, this beautiful reproduction of the rare 1915 first edition is sure to be a welcome addition to every family's library.

Afterword by Peter Glassman. Join young Trot and her peg-legged sailor friend, Cap'n Bill, as they are swept off the high seas and into enchanted realms of excitement and adventure. When Cap'n Bill is transformed into a grasshopper by the wicked witch Blinkie, it's up to Scarecrow to save the day. A Books of Wonder Classic.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

The adventures of Trot and Cap'n Bill take them to Oz where they help solve the problem of Pom, whose truelove's heart has been turned to ice by witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,906,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible