The Girl Who Wore Snakes by Angela Johnson

The Girl Who Wore Snakes

by Angela Johnson

Ali discovers that there is someone else that thinks snakes are beautiful and loves them as much as she does.

At first glance of this book, I thought that she would get a pet snake because snakes reminded her of the braids in her hair almost like a medusa tale. A snake gets brought to the school by a zookeeper and Ali is engaged and amazed immediately. She wears them all day and goes on to buy her own from the pet store. All her family except one aunt questions this decision and ask why snakes. This aunt states how snakes remind her of the sun and moon and everything in between, Ali finally understands why she loves snakes so much because she connects exactly to her aunt's words. This book shows how differences can be okay and the deeper meaning animals can bring to humans. I love that we can see her passion for the snakes and how they make her feel. ( )
  mprochnow | Sep 15, 2018 |
I do not like snakes, so it's not my forte to have snakes around myself. Although, you have to understand that people all like different things and we should respect their decisions. In this case Ali liked the snakes cause it reminded her of the sun and earth. Warm things, fuzzy so to speak, and bright. She did not see them as slithering, slimy, mean creatures. It's showing we should embrace the difference people have, even if its animals. Learn where you interest may come from, like she discovered her Aunt felt the same way about snakes. ( )
  Ashley.Miller | Sep 5, 2018 |
This is a very interesting book that explores finding oneself and embracing differences. I am not sure why Johnson wrote about snakes instead of any other creature. I am sure there is a reason for the snakes, I just don't see it. ( )
  ashoemak | Mar 6, 2013 |
A cute story about a young girl who finds a love of snakes after a snake is brought to her class. I think it's a very nice story. I believe it teaches young kids that there is beauty in everything. Most people are afraid of snakes but this little girl said they reminded her of the sun. It's a great story about acceptance and unconditional love. ( )
  TamaraSmith | Feb 28, 2013 |
Ali is an African American girl who got the opportunity to hold a snake at school. She likes wore the snake around her neck, arms, and ankles. She liked the snake so much that she went to the pet store and bought her own. Most of her friends and family members do not like snakes except one of her aunts. Snakes remind Ali of the earth and sun. ( )
  taramankin | Feb 1, 2012 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,757,016 books! | Top bar: Always visible