The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz (1)

Recently added bygoose_berry, MudHutMama, m0nhawk, private library, jeff.urbik, postcardprincess, jonathan.acunaneri, jaw
Legacy LibrariesC. S. Lewis

English (250)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (253)
Summary:
This story is about a girl named Dorothy who lives in Kansas but her house gets taken away by a tornado with her in it. She is told to go to Emerald City, where Oz will help get her back home. On her way there, she meets the Tinman, Scarecrow, and the Lion who all accompany her to Emerald City. When they get there Oz tells them if they defeat the wicked witch of the west, he will grant them their wishes. They do defeat her but then find out Oz really can't do what he said he would. But he gets a hot air balloon to try to help Dorothy, but it ends up leaving without her. Then she gets told by one of the good witches if she clicks the heals of her slippers together, she will magically go back to Kansas, so that's what she does and she ends up back home.

Personal Reaction:
This has been one of my favorite stories every since I was a little girl and I don't think I will ever get tired of it. It really gets children to use their imaginations, especially since Dorothy makes friends with talking lions, scarecrows and tinmans, and she even gets to click her slippers together to go back home.

Classroom Extensions:
1. Have a dress-up days when you're going to read this book. Let the children dress like their favorite characters from the book and maybe even make a yellow brick road around the classroom.
2. Let the entire class participate in making a giant scarecrow.
3. Since Dorothy uses water to melt the witch, do an activity with the students showing them other things water can melt, such as ice and sugar.
  Brandy9706 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Wonderful story and I love the illustrations. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
A wonderful timeless tale. This book is what got me into reading when I was a child. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 16, 2015 |
Funny how my favorite parts of children's books never seem to make it onto the big screen unless Tim Burton makes the movie. Must just be my peculiar sensibilities. I love Boq and the Quodlings and the Queen of the Field Mice. I love the fragile china people, of whom the Woodman says, "We must be very careful here. . .or we may hurt these pretty people so that they never get over it." I love this story, as originally written, more than life itself. It stands with "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass" as one of my cherished childhood fantasies. Glinda is the witch of the SOUTH, by the way. The original witch of the north was Tattypoo. I suspect a yankee revisionist plot.
  JMlibrarian | Mar 3, 2015 |
I read this book for the first time and loved it. I enjoyed the differences between the book and movie. We still have Dorothy and Toto landing in Oz after a tornado. As they travel to find the Wizard, Dorothy meets the Scarecrow, the Tin Man, and the Lion. I liked that we saw more of Oz and that each district had its own theme with a different color. As you read the book and listen to the characters lament about what is missing from their lives, you realize they already possess these qualities. Its a wonderful read no matter what your age. ( )
  Coltfan18 | Feb 28, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.
ISBN 0762416289 is a Courage Books edition of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.

Audie Award Nominee, Solo Narration - Female, 2013

One of the best-known stories in American culture, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over 100 years. Best Actress nominee Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married, Alice In Wonderland), fresh from filming one of this year’s most anticipated films, The Dark Knight Rises, lends her voice to this uniquely American fairy tale.

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto as they get swept away into the magical land of Oz , where they encounter characters and places you may remember from the movie – and several more that never made it to the big screen – on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City.

“It’s such a wonderful book and I was so happy to be a part of bringing it to life”, Ms. Hathaway said. “There are a lot of great voices in it. The more fun you have with it, the sillier and the more free you get with it, the better it is because it’s a story that can handle it. It’s amazing to be able to discover something new about something you feel you know so well.”

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is part of Audible’s A-List Collection, featuring the world’s most celebrated actors narrating distinguished works of literature that each star had a hand in selecting.
Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

(Carnophile)

One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of W. W. Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 130 two-color illustrations that help make The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so special and enduring.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:02 -0400)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141180854, 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141341734, 0143106635

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438243, 1909438278

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,259,053 books! | Top bar: Always visible