The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz (1)

English (254)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (257)
Read during trip home to Kansas. Hard to judge after being imprinted by such an iconic movie. The novel has some interesting differences, most notably the ruby/silver slippers, and also the flying monkeys charm. ( )
  kcshankd | Aug 27, 2015 |
There are not many times when the movie is better than the book, but this is one of those times. ( )
  davidtaylorjr | Aug 12, 2015 |
I bought this book at a little independent bookstore in Bardstown, Kentucky, because I really liked the bookstore and wanted to support it. I'm really not sure why I chose the Wizard of Oz, other than that I've never read it and it was cheap.

I really liked the book at the beginning, it was just simple and magical and took you off into another world. By the end I got kind of bored with the lack of complexity. I think it would be a fun book to read aloud to a child, but it doesn't go on my list of favorite children's books.

It was really interesting to see how the book compared to the movie. I want to see the movie again, but mostly what I want to see is the made for tv movie, the Dreamer of Oz, which tells the story of L. Frank Baum writing the book. Do any of my sisters remember if this is one our tapes we think was lent to the Nolans? ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
I was too young to understand this book and it has been too long ago for me to remember what it was like to be a teenager boy reading about a young woman's life and challenges. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
Rating is closer to 3.5 stars. I have parts about this I loved and parts that bothered me so my thoughts a left a jumbled mess. First off, if you do not know this story, go learn about it. Everyone should know the Wizard of Oz and most of us do. Although I think many of us are more familiar with the movie. The story concept is just great and one I have always loved and all that credit goes to the author.

Now, I must admit I like the movie more than the book. While the basic story is great and Dorothy being a little girl does put a more child-like quality of the book there is a lot of violence in this story. The Tin Man's story is both sad and horrifying and might be a bit much for a young child to handle. And the neck breaking, limb lopping as they make their way across Oz was harsh. While it is not very graphic in description it is still easy to visualize. So while the story is written in a style for young children, about half the content is on the mature side.

This is a short story being between 110-140 pages (depending on the pictures of various editions). The chapters are short and the pace is fast. A lot happens in that time. It is still a fantastical adventure and in some ways getting the back story of the characters added to it's enrichment.

There are quite a few differences from the movie to the book. From the house Dorothy green up in, the Ruby vs silver slippers, the Winged Monkeys, The Emerald City, etc. It was very interesting to see and discover the differences. One thing that really jumped out at me was how each character acted versus what they kept saying they wanted from the Wizard. Amusing aspect to the story, making it all the more endearing.

Overall enjoyable. I am curious to continue the series yet there is no feeling of needing to rush to the next book. It is a series to read at leisure. I advise caution for young children for this book. If a movie copied the details of the book, it would not be rated G. So just a heads up, I advise you to read it before your child does if allowing them to read this at a young age. ( )
  jljaina | May 16, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Audie Award Nominee, Solo Narration - Female, 2013

One of the best-known stories in American culture, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over 100 years. Best Actress nominee Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married, Alice In Wonderland), fresh from filming one of this year’s most anticipated films, The Dark Knight Rises, lends her voice to this uniquely American fairy tale.

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto as they get swept away into the magical land of Oz , where they encounter characters and places you may remember from the movie – and several more that never made it to the big screen – on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City.

“It’s such a wonderful book and I was so happy to be a part of bringing it to life”, Ms. Hathaway said. “There are a lot of great voices in it. The more fun you have with it, the sillier and the more free you get with it, the better it is because it’s a story that can handle it. It’s amazing to be able to discover something new about something you feel you know so well.”

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is part of Audible’s A-List Collection, featuring the world’s most celebrated actors narrating distinguished works of literature that each star had a hand in selecting.
Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of W. W. Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 130 two-color illustrations that help make The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so special and enduring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141180854, 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141341734, 0143106635

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101247, 140010890X, 1452610274

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,761,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible