The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz (1), Oz : Baum (1)

English (257)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (260)
I grew up with the Judy Garland Wonderful Wizard of Oz film, and in fifth grade, The Emerald City of Oz was one of my favorite books, but yet, I had had never read the original, the one that started it all, until now. And I found it delightful.

It reads very much like a fairytale, as it was intended. The only reason I give it four stars is that, ashamedly, I think that for the most part, the MGM version has improved upon it. Dorothy and her friends do an awful lot of travelling, which is detailed by interactions with strange and wonderful creatures who, mostly, do not help her along her way at all.

As all books-gone-movie, there are the little gems in the book that people don't know about, and for me, these were things like the Tim Woodman's story, the Golden Cap, and the special glasses all entrants into the Emerald City must wear. While Oz is not intended for adults, it should be read to children - America's own fairytale, and is certainly to set the imagination spinning ( )
  Morteana | Nov 29, 2015 |
This is about a girl who gets caught in a very realistic dream. In this dream she meets many different characters teaching her about how to have courage and other good characteristics to have.

Personal Reaction: This was always one of my favorite stories and movies as a child. Honestly I always wanted to be Glenda, the good witch, just for her dress. Looking back now though, Dorothy grows so much as a person with great values that everyone should have.

Extension Ideas: 1. Museum Walk, this is something that I learned in my into to teaching class and I think it would be good with this story. The children will make a fake facebook page for their favorite character and then put it on display, the children walk around to see everyone's page and can leave them with a comment about that page. 2. We will then talk about what its like to have courage and write a paragraph about a time they remember having courage.
  Kelsie_Murphy | Nov 28, 2015 |
A classic! One of my favorite stores as a child, and now I get to share it with my kids. It is a must read. ( )
  VictoriaElizabeth | Nov 9, 2015 |
Read during trip home to Kansas. Hard to judge after being imprinted by such an iconic movie. The novel has some interesting differences, most notably the ruby/silver slippers, and also the flying monkeys charm. ( )
  kcshankd | Aug 27, 2015 |
There are not many times when the movie is better than the book, but this is one of those times. ( )
  davidtaylorjr | Aug 12, 2015 |

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Audie Award Nominee, Solo Narration - Female, 2013

One of the best-known stories in American culture, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over 100 years. Best Actress nominee Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married, Alice In Wonderland), fresh from filming one of this year’s most anticipated films, The Dark Knight Rises, lends her voice to this uniquely American fairy tale.

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto as they get swept away into the magical land of Oz , where they encounter characters and places you may remember from the movie – and several more that never made it to the big screen – on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City.

“It’s such a wonderful book and I was so happy to be a part of bringing it to life”, Ms. Hathaway said. “There are a lot of great voices in it. The more fun you have with it, the sillier and the more free you get with it, the better it is because it’s a story that can handle it. It’s amazing to be able to discover something new about something you feel you know so well.”

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is part of Audible’s A-List Collection, featuring the world’s most celebrated actors narrating distinguished works of literature that each star had a hand in selecting.
Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of W. W. Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 130 two-color illustrations that help make The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so special and enduring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141180854, 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141341734, 0143106635

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101247, 140010890X, 1452610274

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,881,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible