dismiss

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900)

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz : Famous Forty (book 1), Oz : Baum (1), Oz (1)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Through the Looking-Glass and Alice's Adventures Under Ground by Lewis Carroll (StefanY)
    The Neverending Story by Michael Ende (VictoriaPL)
    Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire (sturlington)
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll (Morteana)
    The Secret World of Og by Pierre Berton (bookel)
    The Wonderful Wizard of Oz [graphic novel] by Eric Shanower (JGKC)
    The Marvelous Land of Oz by L. Frank Baum (MonicaOfOz, MonicaOfOz, MonicaOfOz)
    Rebecca's World, Journey to the Forbidden Planet by Terry Nation (Sylak)
    Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie (amanda4242)
    Deep into the Heart of a Rose by G. T. Denny (StefanY)
    The Search for WondLa by Tony DiTerlizzi (kaledrina)
    The Secret of Oz by Bill Still (fulner)
    fulner: Explore Bill Still's take on the symbolism within Baum's Wonderful Wizard of Oz and its relation to the global economic system amid Baum's bought with with several newspapers during the progressive era.
    Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse (Othemts)
    Othemts: These books share a similar quest for self-knowledge with the ultimate realization that what one is looking for was with you all the time. After all, there's no place like Om

English (355)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Italian (1)  Arabic (1)  All languages (361)
I was reading the Oz Principle, a modern business book. The Oz Principle kept having quotes from The Wizard of Oz that were very interesting. Finally I said, why am I reading this. I'll go read the original. I did, and it was so enjoyable that I finished it less than a week.

bread2u | Jul 1, 2020 |
Shocking though it is I never read any of the Wizard of Oz books. I of course saw the movie when I was a kid and absolutely adored it. I also played the voice of Oz, one of the munchkins, and one of the crows who was harassing the Scarecrow in elementary school. I wonder if my parents ever knew about the contents of these books since I had a ton of books growing up but nothing from the Oz series.

L. Frank Baum begins the story with a foreword discussing how he wrote The Wonderful Wizard of Oz in order to be pleasing to today's children (this was dated in 1900). One wonders what children he knew. I think that Baum does a good job of writing a 'modern' fairy tale but is still reminiscent of the older messed up tales written by Hans Christian Anderson and the Brothers Grimm which is why I loved this story so much.

Though the story begins with Dorothy in Kansas we don't have any idea how old she is. We do know that she is not a teenager since she is referred to as a little girl frequently throughout the story.

As many of you know who are familiar with this story, Dorothy and Toto are carried away in a cyclone to the land of Oz. The house she is in promptly falls and kills the Wicked Witch of the East. The Witch of the North and the Munchkins promptly thank Dorothy for freeing the Munchkins from bondage and she is given the witch's kiss as protection and the dead witch's silver shoes to wear on her journey to the Emerald City to meet Oz with the hope that he can send her back home to Kansas.

I kept having to stop myself as I read in order to keep a quick sanity check. This book besides the names being the same and having some scenes that were then shown in the movie is like night and day.

I loved Dorothy's introduction to the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion. We got an interesting back-story to each character and the back-story to the Tin Woodman surprised me a lot. The Scarecrow, the Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion join Dorothy in order to receive brains, a heart, and courage from the Wizard of Oz.

Frequently throughout the story you realize that L. Frank Baum is poking fun at his characters for showing them not to be as smart or as loyal as they claim. I counted at least two times that our merry band left someone behind when something befall them. It was great that they came back each time, but I would have been side-eyeing everyone.

I really loved all of the details that L. Frank Baum about the land of Oz. I really loved hearing about how the whole land was divided into North, South, West, and East and what people and colors inhabited those lands. Frankly, I think he should be applauded because the world building is actually quite impressive in a book this short.

Of course we get to the party meeting the Wonderful Wizard who commands them to go off and kill the Wicked Witch of the West. At this point, unlike in the movie, the Wicked Witch has not met Dorothy is not trying to kill her. So the Wizard sucks for forcing the whole party to go forth and murder someone that didn't do a thing to them in order for them to gain what they want.

There were additional characters in this story that were never referenced in the movie such as the Queen of the Mice, the Hammer-Head people, The China people, and the Quadlings. I can see now why there are fourteen books in this series since there are so many people and places that are referenced that you want to find out more about.

This was a great first book in the Oz series though at times it did drag a bit. Probably because I already knew how it would end, but I was still fascinated by all the segues that our group goes through that were not shown in the movie. Each of our heroes comes to a respectable end though I am a bit surprised by how the Tin Woodman's story ends since he initially was in want of a heart in order to find the Munchkin girl who he loved before he was turned into tin. I wonder if L. Frank Baum forgot about that or was already thinking of book #2 in his series and decided to not revisit that whole story-line.

I am definitely going to see about finding an illustrated book that covers the entire series someday. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
The Oz books were among my childhood bookish obsessions. Such a magical, exciting universe. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I finally decided to "read" the wonderful wizard of oz. Of course I've seen the movie many times. I had heard a few things about the book, one that unlike most books the movie was better, and that the book is pretty much exactly the same other than Dorthy having silver shoes (allegedly some symbolism relating to the silver standard). Luckily both of these items were untrue. It was different enough from the movie to be a great exciting "new" story and better than the movie. Kansas was described as being all gray, long before color photography was a thing. The good which of the now was old and ugly, and the beautiful witch Glenda was that of the south. The story was much more nuanced and I loved the winged monkeys and the magic cap Dorthy used to control them. Definitely worth it. ( )
  fulner | Jun 20, 2020 |
Daha önce filmini izlediğim için kitaptan fazla etkilenmedim ama yine de kitabı çok başarılı buldum. Bir çocuk kitabı olmasına rağmen hiç sıkmadan kendisini okutmayı başarıyor. Kitapta çok güzel öğütler var çocukların mutlaka okuması gereken bir eser. ( )
  Tobizume | Jun 9, 2020 |

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Finally, one of the biggest mice spoke.

‘Is there nothing we can do,’ it asked, ‘to repay you for saving the life of our Queen?’

‘Nothing that I know of,’ answered the Woodman; but the Scarecrow, who had been trying to think, but could not because his head was stuffed with straw, said, quickly, ‘Oh, yes; you can save our friend, the Cowardly Lion, who is asleep in the poppy bed.’
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

This complete and unabridged edition of L. Frank Baum's beloved classic invited a new generation of readers to travel down that Yellow Brick Road with the delightful little girl from Kansas and her unusual friends.

Dorothy, her little dog Toto, the Tin Woodman, Scarecrow and the Cowardly Lion will ... set out on an exciting quest for the elusive Wizard of Ox. Along the way, they'll encounter the Wicked Witch of the West, the fantastic Winged Monkeys, the Queen of the Field Mice, the kind-hearted Munchkins and other fanciful creatures.
Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

(Carnophile)

4 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141195010, 0141341734

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101247, 140010890X, 1452610274

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438243, 1909438278

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,123,345 books! | Top bar: Always visible