12,200297207 (3.88)476
Title:
Authors:
Info:
Collections:

The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1900)

English (294)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (297)
That weird Return to Oz sequel was one of my favorite movies as a kid, so I thought I'd read the entire series, but fuuuuuuuuuck this is boring. The subsequent books apparently get horrifyingly sexist, as well. No thanks. ( )
  xicohtli | Jul 20, 2016 |
Summary
Dorothy is the main protagonist who;s goal is to make it back home. After a giant twister hit, she woke up in and land that seem so surreal. After receiving some information, she set off on an adventure to seek the wizard. she meets some companion on the way who also seek audience with the wizard. They also have to be weary of the dangers that lie ahead.

Reaction
After reading this book as a child, it taught me some some things. Everything i seek was inside me all along just like it was for the Scarecrow, the Tinman, and the Lion.

Extension
Children should be taught the lessons of this book at an early age. Teachers should also have the children watch the movie after reading the book. Also, this book has always been a popular children's play, teachers should allow the children to perform a play. ( )
  chywatt | Jul 19, 2016 |
Anne Hathaway made this such an incredibly fun read. Her voices were fantastic. I highly recommend this audio version for anyone who has always wanted to read the book but has been putting it off. ( )
  amcheri | Jul 12, 2016 |
I wanted to read this book to see how different it is from the film version (a staple of every American childhood). It is very different, but then again, I expected Hollywood to take a piece (or in this case, several pieces) of literature and manipulate it into something completely different and commercial, but commercial in a good way. I love the film. I like the book. Some surprises (spoiler alert): Dorothy was actually a small child in the book. The slippers were not made from rubies. The Tin Woodman kills a lot of animals. The Wicked Witch never casts a spell on the poppies. They flying monkeys are sympathetic creatures. There is no horse of a different color. The differences go on and on....

I will have to watch the film again. Every time Judy Garland sings "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" I cry. Seriously. It makes me nostalgic for my childhood, a time when I took things at face value and didn't know the film was based on a book. ( )
  RojaHorchata | Jul 11, 2016 |
Charming and imaginative classic fantasy that offers something for everyone. It's worth reading more than once for the adventure itself, the wildly inventive imagery, and then the sly witticisms and observations. This is a book I don't think I could ever grow tired of. ( )
  wandaly | Jun 30, 2016 |

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

(Carnophile)

One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of W. W. Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 130 two-color illustrations that help make The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so special and enduring.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:31 -0400)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.

5 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141180854, 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141341734, 0143106635

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Tantor Media

3 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400101247, 140010890X, 1452610274

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,492,044 books! | Top bar: Always visible