The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (original 1900; edition 2012)

by L. Frank Baum

Member:marek2010
Title:The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
Authors:L. Frank Baum
Info:Simon & Brown (2012), Paperback, 138 pages
Rating:***
Tags:Novel, Children's literature, American literature, NA 2012, Kindle, r 2012, 1900s

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum (1900)

English (228)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (231)
It was nice to finally read the original, though unfortunately the story hasn't weathered the years well.

At its core, it's still very charming, and the famous movie captured almost the whole thing (only the last few chapters and a few other details were omitted). Some of the more unsettling details were also omitted, such as a graphic description of how the Tin Woodman and Scarecrow didn't really sleep at night, so they just stood quietly while Dorothy and the Lion slept. This struck me as incredibly sad.

The repetition was what really killed it for me. The Scarecrow explaining over and over again how he was too stupid to figure things out. The Tin Woodman rusting again and again. The many similar attacks on the traveling party, though I loved the variety of creatures they encountered. And yet, with all that repetition, somehow the point that Oz hoodwinked them on their rewards wasn't mentioned, which was one of my favorite parts of the movie. It was pretty obvious, but the book had the habit of laboriously spelling out every other plot development, just not that one. Maybe that head full of nails really did make the Scarecrow smarter.

Also, I loved that the Tin Woodman was so upset about almost stepping on a beetle that he cried until he rusted his jaw, but had no problem lopping the heads off any number of other creatures that intended them harm. That was one of my very favorite bizarre touches.

But there were a lot of strange characters, conversations, and quests, and the overall quirkiness appealed to me. I will likely read other books in the series, since this was short and full of good ideas. It was just... a little antiquated. ( )
  ConnieJo | Jul 14, 2014 |
Disappointing. The movie, although eliminating much from the book, is so much better that I recommend reading the novel only for background info. like: Where did the flying monkeys come from? ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
The Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum Rating: 5/5

Read from July 22 to August 03, 2013 — I own a copy
This Review has light spoilers.
This book is one of those cases that the movie is good, but so does not do justice for the book.

The movie left out so much that I would have loved to have seen in the movie. Naturally, some things that are in the book, I’m glad they left out because it is not meant to be seen by younger audiences; unless you make an Adult/Young Adult version like they do with the fairy tales these days. But I did enjoy the book. It took me so long to read it because I just wasn’t in the mood to read but it is good.
One of my favorite parts of the book were when they went to kill the Wicked Witch of the West and ran into the Winkies. And another part was the China People. Both of them I enjoyed.

This book is one of my favorites this year. There are some parts in this book that I wouldn’t suggest for younger children (Under 10 y/o, and even that’s kind of pushing it, depending on your child).

There was a part where the Tinman chopped off a few heads, and for me, younger children, if they’re a little more sensitive to that type of violence, I wouldn't suggest you let them read it until you know they can handle it. It didn't get detailed beyond saying he chopped off the heads but still, that much could upset some kids if they are sensitive. And there is also a part with a large spider as well.

I generally try to keep spoilers out of my reviews, but in this case, for those who haven’t read the book yet, I wanted to give some idea what was in it. Now, I don’t know if all editions are the same, but the one I read had those things mentioned in the spoilers. If you like classics, I would suggest this book to anyone.
  MsBridgetReads | Jul 8, 2014 |
Read this for the first time in over 20 years and man had I forgotten a lot of stuff in it. ( )
  Glennis.LeBlanc | Jul 8, 2014 |
This for me was a one-way airplane book that got me to St. Louis.

The most interesting thing about this book that I can say is the story behind my wanting to read it. I watched the movie, but never was obsessed about it. One year I went as Dorothy for Halloween, but never felt attached to the story or the characters.

I "read" (audio) Wicked, and suddenly had a desire to see how much of the book he was true to in his alternative point of view novel. (Also interesting to me that The Wizard is only 160-something pages, but Wicked was hundreds more.

The story was ok. I felt no more attached to it than I did the movie, and I was shocked to see that some of the BIG things in the movie (ruby slippers, por ejemplo) were not the same in the original text.

csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a study

This book is dedicated to my good friend and comrade, my wife L. F. B.
Dorothy lived in the midst of the great Kansas prairies, with Uncle Henry, who was a farmer, and Aunt Em, who was the farmer's wife.
"Take me home to Aunt Em!"
"Come along, Toto," she said. "We will go to the Emerald City and ask the great Oz how to get back to Kansas."
Please DO NOT combine film adaptations (DVDs, videos), or any abridged, young reader's, excerpted, anthologized, or other adaptations, with the work for the book. These are considered separate and distinct works for LibraryThing cataloging. Also please be careful when editing and deleting information in Common Knowledge, since this is common data that affects everyone in LibraryThing.

Audie Award Nominee, Solo Narration - Female, 2013

One of the best-known stories in American culture, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over 100 years. Best Actress nominee Anne Hathaway (Rachel Getting Married, Alice In Wonderland), fresh from filming one of this year’s most anticipated films, The Dark Knight Rises, lends her voice to this uniquely American fairy tale.

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog Toto as they get swept away into the magical land of Oz , where they encounter characters and places you may remember from the movie – and several more that never made it to the big screen – on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City.

“It’s such a wonderful book and I was so happy to be a part of bringing it to life”, Ms. Hathaway said. “There are a lot of great voices in it. The more fun you have with it, the sillier and the more free you get with it, the better it is because it’s a story that can handle it. It’s amazing to be able to discover something new about something you feel you know so well.”

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz is part of Audible’s A-List Collection, featuring the world’s most celebrated actors narrating distinguished works of literature that each star had a hand in selecting.
Headline: Kansas girl
Enters strange new land; at once
Starts a killing spree.

(Carnophile)

One of the true classics of American literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz has stirred the imagination of young and old alike for over four generations. Originally published in 1900, it was the first truly American fairy tale, as Baum crafted a wonderful out of such familiar items as a cornfield scarecrow, a mechanical woodman, and a humbug wizard who used old-fashioned hokum to express that universal theme, "There's no place like home."

Follow the adventures of young Dorothy Gale and her dog, Toto, as their Kansas house is swept away by a cyclone and they find themselves in a strange land called Oz. Here she meets the Munchkins and joins the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and the Cowardly Lion on an unforgettable journey to the Emerald City, where lives the all-powered Wizard of Oz.

This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of W. W. Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 130 two-color illustrations that help make The Wonderful Wizard of Oz so special and enduring.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:02 -0400)

After a cyclone transports her to the land of Oz, Dorothy must seek out the great wizard in order to return to Kansas.

Five editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141180854, 0141321024, 0141808314, 0141341734, 0143106635

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

Urban Romantics

An edition of this book was published by Urban Romantics.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,097,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible