Voyage in the Dark by Jean Rhys

Voyage in the Dark (1934)

by Jean Rhys

English (10)  French (1)  All languages (11)
At first I didn't like Anna. I thought she was weird and a bit creepy. I held her in some contempt (I know that sounds a bit extreme, but the character is perfectly portrayed and very real) but then I started to pity her. I noticed that whenever I broke off reading to think along those lines, the very next scene would be another character reacting to her in just that way. Now that is very clever. I don't know how Rhys did it. I've never seen it done in a novel before but she played me perfectly. By the end I sympathised with Anna.

The quality of the writing's just an order of magnitude above what you usually get. That opening passage with all its antitheses packed in, some in tricolons. Good heavens! I'm going to read all her other books.

It's funny too. Uncle Bo's letter to Hester had me bent double and jerking around. ( )
1 vote Lukerik | Sep 24, 2015 |
Another haunting work by Rhys. Her characters are memorable ( )
1 vote kayclifton | Sep 9, 2015 |
I am bad, not good any longer, bad. That has no meaning, absolutely none. Just words. But something about the darkness of the streets has a meaning.

And how do you know what it's like to try to speak from under water when you're drowned?

The long shadows of the trees, like skeletons, and others like spiders, and others like octopuses.

It was one of those days when you can see the ghosts of all the other lovely days.
(Cold — cold as truth, cold as life. No, nothing can be cold as life.)Sometimes not being able to get over the feeling that it was a dream. The light and the sky and the shadows and the houses and the people — all parts of the dream, all fitting in and all against me. ( )
1 vote S.D. | Apr 4, 2014 |
What a painful, childlike, beautiful work. ( )
1 vote thesmellofbooks | Sep 3, 2012 |
Ho così adorato "Il grande mare dei sargassi" che la temuta delusione è arrivata leggendo questo romanzo di tre decenni precedenti al capolavoro di Jean Rhys. Penso che sia piuttosto inevitabile. Tuttavia Viaggio nel buio è tutt'altro che un libro da poco e collocato nella giusta prospettiva è per certi versi rivoluzionario, perché presenta, raro caso per la letteratura dell'epoca, una protagonista sdradicata dalla sua terra natia (guardacaso come la Antoinette del grande mare dei sargassi), tema caro alla Rhys che per prima visse la situazione sulla sua pelle. Se poi si considera che la terra natia sono i rigogliosi caraibi, Londra e l'uggiosa Inghilterra perdono decisamente nel confronto. Al pari dell'impietoso scontro tra le due terre e i loro humus culturali, la storia di degrado che vede protagonista Anna Morgan è concettualmente diversa da quella di Antoinette Cosway, ma spiritualmente affine, tanto più che neanche per Anna può esserci salvezza.
In conclusione, un romanzo che per essere apprezzato pienamente andrebbe letto prima del capolavoro di Jean Rhys. Se dovesse succedere il contrario comunque vale la pena di essere letto per apprezzare la crescita di questa grande e misconosciuta (in Italia) autrice, tanto più che la presente edizione di Viaggio nel buio è difficilmente reperibile ( )
  Zeruhur | May 26, 2012 |

Jean Rhysprimary authorall editionscalculated
Eyk, Henriëtte vanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It was as if a curtain had fallen, hiding everything I had ever known.

[Rhys's] heroine in Voyage in the Dark is Anna Morgan, a young woman in her late teens, relocated to England from her beloved home in the West Indies. She works as a chorus girl, traveling the country to dank boarding rooms and shabby theaters. Fortune seems to grab her one day in the shape of a wealthy, older man who sets her up in London, calling for her as his needs dictate. Anna falls in love with him, and allows herself to rely on him totally. When he grows tired of her, she begins a long spiraling decline.

This is a classic portrait of a woman on her own. Its Rhys's account of Anna's sad journey from innocence to experience. Written in 1934 it was the first time a female writer had written about what it was like to be a woman without the benefit of husband, family or fortune.… (more)

W.W. Norton

An edition of this book was published by W.W. Norton.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,157,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible