Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster

Where Angels Fear to Tread (1905)

by E. M. Forster

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Same author, different setting, same core themes

English (29)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (31)
Read this and 'A Room with a View' in quick succession. This is definitely the deeper, and more tragic of the two. Some of the characterisation is a little pantomime-villain, particularly the mother and Harriet (at first, until she becomes simply mad), but captures the Italian spirit well. Lilia gets a bum deal. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Aug 10, 2015 |
Read during Fall 2002

Although I felt as if this was about the transformative power of often simple experiences, sometimes it seemed as if only those who wished to be transformed were.
  amyem58 | Jul 14, 2014 |
The copy I have has a rather garish film tie -in cover. I like this one much better. Ironically, the actor who played Gino is the only member of the cast not to have an entry on Wikipedia..but I digress.

I have read Room With a View and Howards End. Both due for a re-read, I think. Unfortunately I don't think Angels is a patch on them, but I understand it was his first novel, so I will forgive him that. It was the first novel set in Italy that I have read since going there myself, but I was disappointed in Forster's characterisation of it. He seems to have a love/hate relationship with Italy and to be attracted and repulsed by it at the same time. The result was Italy seemed like nothing more than a painted backdrop inhabited by stereotypes.

Forster said "The object of the book was the improvement of Phillip". I think Phiilip only improved marginally, if at all. ( )
  dylkit | Feb 3, 2014 |
There are plenty of other reviews, so I will only note that I liked part of the novel, but it didn't quite gel for me even though I like this sort of social satire. I don't regret the time spent reading it but am not inclined to re-read. It's out of copyright in some countries, and thus available on public domain sites. ( )
  JulesJones | Dec 29, 2013 |
"Where Angels Fear to Tread" is E.M. Forster's first novel and it shows. It really isn't a bad book -- it just isn't quite up to the standard set by his other, more famous novels.

The story starts with Lilia, a young widow who travels to Italy for a year-long break and falls in love with a youthful Italian, much to the dismay of her inlaws. As in his later novels, Forster skewers the class system and the exportation of the British way of life, just not has effectively as he does in his later works.

Forster's writing is great, but the story doesn't really gel in the end... the ending seemed a bit forced. I might have enjoyed this one more if I wasn't familiar with his later works. ( )
  amerynth | Nov 27, 2013 |

E. M. Forsterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Southall, JosephCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They were all at Charing Cross to see Lilia off--Philip, Harriet, Irma, Mrs. Herriton herself.

"Let her go to Italy!" he cried. "Let her meddle with what she doesn't understand! Look at this letter! The man who wrote it will marry her, or murder her, or do for her somehow. He's a bounder, but he's not an English bounder. He's mysterious and terrible. He's got a country behind him that's upset people from the beginning of the world."

When a young English widow takes off on the grand tour and along the way marries a penniless Italian, her in-laws are not amused. That the marriage should fail and poor Lilia die tragically are only to be expected. But that Lilia should have had a baby -- and that the baby should be raised as an Italian! -- are matters requiring immediate correction by Philip Herriton, his dour sister Harriet, and their well-meaning friend Miss Abbott.

In his first novel, E. M. Forster anticipated the themes of cultural collision and the sterility of the English middle class that he would develop in A Room with a View and A Passage to India. Where Angels Fear to Tread is an accomplished, harrowing, and malevolently funny book, in which familiar notions of vice and virtue collapse underfoot and the best intentions go mortally awry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

Forster's first novel, a marvelously assured tragicomedy of English men and women adrift in Italy--now the basis for a major motion picture. When a young English widow has the effrontery to marry a penniless Italian while on the grand tour, her proper relations take it upon themselves to set things right.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441453, 0141199253

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,965 books! | Top bar: Always visible