Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster

Where Angels Fear to Tread (original 1905; edition 2011)

by E. M. Forster

Member:megc11
Title:Where Angels Fear to Tread
Authors:E. M. Forster
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2011), Paperback, 124 pages
Rating:***1/2

Where Angels Fear to Tread by E. M. Forster (1905)

A Passage to India by E. M. Forster (li33ieg)
    li33ieg: Same author, different setting, same core themes

English (35)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All (37)
Interesting story about the relations between men and women. Philip maintained a platonic relationship with Caroline, realizing later he loves her. He thought she loves her too until dramatically she admits to have fallen in love with Gino." ( )
  siok | Jan 29, 2017 |
  This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.com by express permission of this reviewer.   Title: Where Angels Fear to Tread Series: N/A Author: E. M. Forster Rating: 2 of 5 Stars Genre: Classic   Synopsis: A stupid widow, neglected by her husband's family who at the same time try to rule her behavior, goes to Italy for some reason or other. There she falls in love with a young peasant, marries him, has a kid, dies and then the family tries to take the child to have a "proper" upbringing. Nothing good comes of that line of action and in the end nothing good comes of anybody's actions.   My Thoughts I enjoyed Room with a View. Unfortunately, I hated this book right from the beginning, through the middle and couldn't wait for the end to be over.   I need somebody to cheer for in a book. Just one person. In this book I found every person distasteful and it really seems like Forster did this on purpose to get his point across.   Messed up families, deliberate stupidity, pride, greed, sloth, uncontrolled lust and apathy were what I saw and read about. I am a firm believer in not just showing up bad behavior but also showing what COULD be, ie, good behavior.   So I'm 50/50 with Forster. Not good odds in my books. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I should start off this review by mentioning, for those who don’t know, that [Where Angels Fear to Tread] is E. M. Forster’s first novel. When it was published, Forster was only 26 years old. I find that to be an accomplishment in itself. What is more difficult for me to communicate are my thoughts regarding this one. I tend to be a fan of books that tackle meaty topics of divisions caused by class structure, societal norms and mannerisms under the guise of troublesome family scenarios. While I appreciate that Forster takes a lighter hand here – he does not over burden the story with deep philosophical ramblings – I found the lightness of touch gave the story a rather flippant feel, one that overshadows Forester’s attack at the narrow-minded snobbery and cultural insensitivity of the English middle class the story is to portray. I struggled a bit with some of the characters – in particular, Philip, Harriet and Mrs. Herriton. I found Philip’s attraction to Caroline Abbott to be lacking in substance, more like the youthful infatuation of a young collegiate man for an older, more worldly woman. This struck me as a bit odd as I got the impression that Caroline was the younger of the two. Harriet comes across as a little unhinged, even before the tragic events unfold and as for Mrs. Harriton, well, that woman has control issues. Lilia comes across as I would expect for one who faces life with an exuberance that defies being contained. As for the writing, while good, I felt that Forster was still coming into his own as a writer. Not surprising given his youth at the time of writing.

Overall, an decent read and I am now curious to watch the movie adaptation with Helen Mirren as Lilia Harriton. ( )
  lkernagh | Oct 11, 2016 |
I read this book half way thru and gave up. Although I liked the storyline,I just had no empathy for the characters. I like E.M. Forster but this is not my favorite. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Book Description
On a journey to Tuscany with her young friend and traveling companion Caroline Abbott, widowed Lilia Herriton falls in love with both Italy and Gino, a handsome Italian much younger than herself, and decides to stay. Furious, her dead husband's family send Lilia's brother-in-law Philip to Italy to prevent a misalliance, but he arrives too late. Lilia had already married the Italian and becomes pregnant again. While giving birth to her son, she dies. The Herritons send Philip again to Italy, this time to save the infant boy from an uncivilized life and to save the family's reputation. Not wanting to be outdone—or considered any less moral or concerned than Caroline for the child's welfare—Lilia's in-laws try to take the lead in traveling to Italy. In the public eye, they make it known that it is both their right and their duty to travel to Monteriano to obtain custody of the infant so that he can be raised as an Englishman. Secretly, though, they have no regard for the child; only public appearances.

My Review
This book was an insightful exploration of cultural differences set within a small village in Tuscany. I mostly enjoyed the description of the countryside and village of Monteriano. E. M. Forster has a great gift of storyteller and this is very evident in the story. The two main characters are very likable but their fate was a little depressing and not necessarily the happy ending I would have liked. I do recommend reading this as the writing is very compelling. ( )
  EadieB | Jun 1, 2016 |

E. M. Forsterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Southall, JosephCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stallybrass, OliverEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
They were all at Charing Cross to see Lilia off--Philip, Harriet, Irma, Mrs. Herriton herself.

"Let her go to Italy!" he cried. "Let her meddle with what she doesn't understand! Look at this letter! The man who wrote it will marry her, or murder her, or do for her somehow. He's a bounder, but he's not an English bounder. He's mysterious and terrible. He's got a country behind him that's upset people from the beginning of the world."

When a young English widow takes off on the grand tour and along the way marries a penniless Italian, her in-laws are not amused. That the marriage should fail and poor Lilia die tragically are only to be expected. But that Lilia should have had a baby -- and that the baby should be raised as an Italian! -- are matters requiring immediate correction by Philip Herriton, his dour sister Harriet, and their well-meaning friend Miss Abbott.

In his first novel, E. M. Forster anticipated the themes of cultural collision and the sterility of the English middle class that he would develop in A Room with a View and A Passage to India. Where Angels Fear to Tread is an accomplished, harrowing, and malevolently funny book, in which familiar notions of vice and virtue collapse underfoot and the best intentions go mortally awry.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:03 -0400)

Forster's first novel, a marvelously assured tragicomedy of English men and women adrift in Italy--now the basis for a major motion picture. When a young English widow has the effrontery to marry a penniless Italian while on the grand tour, her proper relations take it upon themselves to set things right.… (more)

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141441453, 0141199253

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,472,918 books! | Top bar: Always visible