Zombie by Joyce Carol Oates

Zombie (1995)

by Joyce Carol Oates (Author)

People Live Still in Cashtown Corners by Tony Burgess (ShelfMonkey)
    The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith (sturlington)
    sturlington: Told from the psychopath's point of view.
    The Seven Days of Peter Crumb: A Novel (P.S.) by Jonny Glynn (crazybatcow)
    crazybatcow: Similar content. Though, believe it or not, Q_P_ in Zombie is a more functional psychopath than Peter Crumb.
    The Collector by John Fowles (SomeGuyInVirginia)

English (37)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (39)
A gay serial killer who is obsessed with finding a boy he can lobotomize and turn into his own personal zombie. I figured it would be grim but it was actually just gross and pointless. One of those non-endings that infuriates me didn't help. I would advise looking for something else in the serial killer genre and skipping this one. ( )
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
  grammarchick | Jan 5, 2016 |
JCO gets into the mind of a serial killer?
Who knew?
There is no other view point in this terrifying study of murder, torture and love. Yes, love.
that deranged mind was looking for a Zombie to love him.
Ms.Oates is such a versatile writer, not many could pull this off.
Yet she does with quite the flair for the macabre. At times i wanted to put the book down and could not.
Quite a story. ( )
  sogamonk | Apr 7, 2015 |
A gritty, disturbing portrayal of a serial killer and rapist, this short novel takes the form of journal writings of Quentin P, a registered sex offender on parole. Joyce Carol Oates is an excellent story-teller, and she varies her writing style to suit the story she is telling -- in this case, with great success. ( )
  LynnB | Dec 31, 2014 |
This book makes me want to read everything Joyce Carol Oates has ever written. The style of writing fits so well with the story and main character, it was scary. Let's just say that I wouldn't want to meet Quintin but what if I have? What if it's someone I know? Oates made this character so believable it sent chills down my spine. Her writing is poetic and realistic at the same time. I can't wait to read more of her writing and will be running back to the library to pick up whatever I can find. ( )
  yougotamber | Aug 22, 2014 |

Oates, Joyce CarolAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My name is Q__ P__ & I am thirty-one years old, three months.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0452275008, Paperback)

A hero who gets into the mind of a serial killer is a fixture of television crime shows, but such stories are usually disappointing, because the viewer knows it's just a gimmick. Not so with this unusual little novel, which The New York Times called a "note-perfect, horror-comic ventriloquization of a half-bright, infantile serial killer." Joyce Carol Oates has so convincingly written through the voice of a killer, you will feel nervous while reading at how familiar, how human, he is. Part of how she achieves the effect is through sparing use of bizarre capitalization (e.g., "MOON" and "FRAGMENT") and crude drawings done with a felt-tip pen. But the language is what makes it come alive, as in such weird statements as "My whole body is a numb tongue." This book was winner of the 1996 Bram Stoker Award for Best Novel.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:11 -0400)

Oates's ostensible diary of the paroled sex offender Quentin P. provides a psychologically astute portrait of the way cold calculation and dark obsession combine in a serial killer to make him both horrifyingly successful and maddeningly elusive.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,137,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible