Zombie (1995)

by Joyce Carol Oates

Unflinching and unforgettable, devastating in its impact, Joyce Carol Oate's fictional journey into the mind of paroled sex offender Quentin P. provides a psychologically astute portrait of the way cold calculation and dark obsession combine in a serial killer. Oates is the award-winning author of 26 novels.… (more)

English (50)  German (1)  Italian (1)  French (1)  All languages (53)
Did not like this one. I wanted to enjoy it. I wanted it to scare me. But it was mostly just irritating. The stream of consciousness writing style left much to be desired, and the sporadic capitalization, punctuation, and drawings were unnecessary and added nothing. I feel like Joyce Carol Oates was trying too hard with this one, and it showed. ( )
  kiaweathersby | Sep 16, 2020 |
I got about halfway through and decided it wasn't worth it. It was very edgy for the sake of edginess. Gross, but not to any particular end. Joyce Carol Oates is better than this book. ( )
  widdersyns | Jul 19, 2020 |
Impressive attempt by Oates to get inside the mind of a deeply disturbed, psychotic young man. The story would have been more powerful if it wasn’t so obviously inspired by the Jeffrey Dahmer case. ( )
  dale01 | Jul 2, 2020 |
Yuck. ( )
  gleipnir | Jun 20, 2020 |
Absolutely lovely. A very easy read, and Oates has taken in Jeffrey Dahmer's story and made it something on its own without resorting to shock tactics. ( )
  pivic | Mar 20, 2020 |

Oates, Joyce Carolprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Harris, MichaelNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My name is Q__ P__ & I am thirty-one years old, three months.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,575,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible