Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman

Call Me By Your Name (2007)

by André Aciman

2007 (4) 21st century (10) American (6) American literature (10) coming of age (31) contemporary (4) ebook (5) fiction (136) first love (5) gay (53) Gay Fiction (14) glbt (11) homosexuality (14) Italy (65) lgbt (9) literature (12) love (18) novel (30) queer (10) read (9) relationships (6) Roman (8) romance (22) sexuality (13) summer (4) teenage boys (4) teenagers (4) to-read (22) wishlist (5) youth (5)

English (37)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  French (1)  All languages (42)
Was supposed to read this for a book club, but just couldn't slog my way through it. The self-consciousness and adolescent angstyness of it just went beyond what I could tolerate. I know it's a great book, but just not for me.
  mochap | Apr 11, 2014 |
I'm not a fan of lyrical romances, gay or otherwise , so I wasn't going to like this book no matter what. However, it was the first book for our local glbt book club, so I gave it a try. I hated the constant repetition of scenes, told slightly differently, until you had no idea what was really going on. (Of course, if you're a postmodernist, there's no reality outside the subjective remembering of the moment, which I'm sure is the author's point) Late in the book the lovers get out of the (to me) stifling Italian villa and go to Rome. That was a little more interesting. The best part for me was when they attended an author's reading at a bookstore. The author discussed the archeological layers of a church I actually visited in Rome. However except for providing a justification for the layering of the narrative, I didn't think it had much to do with the rest of the book. ( )
  aulsmith | Apr 6, 2014 |
The contents of the book (I opened it on a ramdom page) is not of the kind that I appreciate.
I did give it a try, but stopped reading after only a few pages. This books I acquired as part of a release 'game', so I sent it out on a journey again. No rating for this book: wouldn't be fair since I didn't finish.
  BoekenTrol71 | Dec 29, 2013 |
I loved this book! While some may feel a bit betrayed when they discover that this is a book about a deeply passionate relationship between two men, I didn't. Aciman writes quite intimately about a powerful and gut-wrenching love between two people. I was so moved by the hearthfelt emotion, love and destroying loss that is felt by the main characters in this book. My heart ached for them as they moved through their lives, never quite getting the love they desired to deeply. A true love story for the truly romantic at heart. A must read for anyone with an open mind in what they read. ( )
  AKLibGirl | Dec 21, 2013 |
From years later, first-person narrator Elio remembers the intense love affair he shared as a teenager with a young graduate student who stayed with Elio's family for a summer. The ratio of interiority to event in the novel is probably about 70/30, which might make for a tedious narrative, but Aciman handles it well. Elio's confusion and delight at falling in love with Oliver, as well as the agony he experiences in not knowing if Oliver feels the same way, are depicted with an intensity that prevents the story from bogging down in Elio's adolescent navel-gazing. Unlike Aciman's Eight White Nights, which despite possessing a certain kind of beauty never managed to be anything but a slog, Call Me By Your Name reads like a perfectly paced, elegantly brief exploration of the pleasurable chaos of early love. ( )
  lycomayflower | Dec 10, 2013 |
For Albio, Alma de mi vida
"Later!" The word, the voice, the attitude.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031242678X, Paperback)

A New York Times Notable Book of the Year

A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year

A Washington Post Best Fiction Book of the Year

A New York Magazine “Future Canon” Selection

A Chicago Tribune Favorite Book of the Year

One of The Seattle Times’ Michael Upchurch’s Favorite Books of the Year

An Amazon Top 100 Editors’ Picks of the Year

An Amazon Top 10 Editors’ pick: Debut Fiction (#6)

An Amazon Top 10 Editors’ pick: Gay & Lesbian (#1)

Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera.  During the restless summer weeks, unrelenting but buried currents of obsession, fascination, and desire intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them and verge toward the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy. André Aciman's critically acclaimed debut novel is a frank, unsentimental, heartrending elegy to human passion.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:16 -0400)

The sudden and powerful attraction between a teenage boy and a summer guest at his parents' house on the Italian Riviera has a profound and lasting influence that will mark them both for a lifetime.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,510,174 books! | Top bar: Always visible