Call Me by Your Name: A Novel by Andre…

Call Me by Your Name: A Novel (original 2007; edition 2017)

by Andre Aciman (Author)

Member:NiftyLefty
Title:Call Me by Your Name: A Novel
Authors:Andre Aciman (Author)
Info:Holtzbrinck Publishers (2017), Edition: Media Tie In, 256 pages

Call Me by Your Name: A Novel by André Aciman (2007)

English (66)  Italian (5)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (77)
So beautiful, sensual, soulful and sad. Everything I hoped it would be. ( )
  marie2830 | Sep 2, 2018 |
Super rapey and dull. I feel like I am definitely on the outside looking in on this one. I'm confused on why everyone is losing their minds; crying about how beautiful it is and feeling a connection to these self-obsessed characters. ( )
  ambersnowpants | Aug 23, 2018 |
I chose this book to widen my reading a bit, and while I don't regret reading it I also didn't enjoy it much. The narrator was hard to identify with. I found his obsession with his family's house guest over the top and difficult to believe, and his casual disregard for the feelings of pretty much everyone around him make him difficult to like. Perhaps the point of the book is the overwhelming obsession that some people experience and the way it can isolate them from everything else around them, and if so the book accomplishes this wonderfully. It is also beautifully written. Still, not a book I'd be likely to pick up again. ( )
  duchessjlh | Jun 8, 2018 |
One of the most beautiful, gorgeous stories I've ever read. ( )
  CATPORT | Apr 23, 2018 |
It was soooo good and such a delicious slow burn. And then it totally lost me. The part in Rome with the book party was so insufferable and boring, OMG. It was like, waking up the morning after and being kinda like, "...are you still here? uh, okay..." and then they are talking about poetry that you are very ehhhh about and you are like "...please stop talking. Please. You are ruining the memory."

Then it became very obvious that the whole book was like, a single character. Which is like, ok... I don't mean like it was a single, first person point of view, which it was, obviously. But it had a single voice. Everyone had the same voice. Oliver, the dad, the dying 10 year old, that poet. Like they were all facets of a single, self-centered personality. They were all Elio. I'm like, is this on purpose? I mean, the book is called Call Me by Your Name. So it is about egocentrism? I can see that. Elio is a teenager after all, ha. He's figuring shit out (which was definitely part of the book). But. With all my own personal issues and history I'm like, this is soooo unhealthy. With Elio's projection (projective identification?) and the idealization of a partner... Like, being called your partner's own name could be hot in erotic situations, but in a relationship... I'm like... boundaries please, Elio! Elio Elio Elio.

Like, that part where Oliver forgot about calling Elio by his own name? I heard about that after I saw the movie, but before I read the book. And I was like WHHHAT OMG nooo, so HEARTBREAKING. But when I actually read the book I was like... Makes sense. Good for you, Oliver.

Oh! I think... as I read the book I became more and more convinced that Elio was an unreliable narrator. An emotionally unreliable narrator, who could not truly empathize with people (or the parts of people) who did not reflect himself. And with such a person there is no real intimacy. And so, the previous parts which had felt like intimacy... hm. No more.

But the movie doesn't have that problem! Usually in movies we are witnesses to what is happening, unless it is pointed out that you shouldn't trust what you see. And so the movie remains sexy while the book needs money for the cab ride back home. ha ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
In poetic, elevated prose, André Aciman has written a powerful psychological drama of two bisexual men who share their most intimate selves, intellectually, spiritually, and physically. Elio’s thoughts and emotions are depicted in vivid detail that unashamedly highlights the infatuation, lust, love, and obsession that sometimes results from a first love.

For Albio, Alma de mi vida
"Later!" The word, the voice, the attitude.
Whoever said the soul and the body met in the pineal gland was a fool. It’s the asshole, stupid.
If youth must canter, then who’ll do the galloping?
Perhaps we were friends first and lovers second.
But then perhaps this is what lovers are.
All I knew was that I had nothing left to hide from him. I had never felt freer or safer in my life.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 031242678X, Paperback)

A New York Times Notable Book of the Year

A Publishers Weekly Best Book of the Year

A Washington Post Best Fiction Book of the Year

A New York Magazine “Future Canon” Selection

A Chicago Tribune Favorite Book of the Year

One of The Seattle Times’ Michael Upchurch’s Favorite Books of the Year

An Amazon Top 100 Editors’ Picks of the Year

An Amazon Top 10 Editors’ pick: Debut Fiction (#6)

An Amazon Top 10 Editors’ pick: Gay & Lesbian (#1)

Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera.  During the restless summer weeks, unrelenting but buried currents of obsession, fascination, and desire intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them and verge toward the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy. André Aciman's critically acclaimed debut novel is a frank, unsentimental, heartrending elegy to human passion.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:48 -0400)

Call Me by Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' house, a cliff-side mansion on the Italian Riviera. Unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, at first each feigns indifference to the other. But during the warm, languorous summer weeks that follow, unrelenting buried currents of obsession and fear, fascination and desire, intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them. What grows from the depths of their spirits is a romance of scarcely six weeks duration and an experience that marks them for a lifetime. For what the two discover on the Riviera and on a sultry evening in Rome is the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,558,489 books! | Top bar: Always visible