Call Me By Your Name by Andre Aciman

Call Me By Your Name (original 2007; edition 2017)

by Andre Aciman (Author)

"Call Me By Your Name is the story of a sudden and powerful romance that blossoms between an adolescent boy and a summer guest at his parents' cliffside mansion on the Italian Riviera. Unprepared for the consequences of their attraction, at first each feigns indifference. But during the restless summer weeks that follow, unrelenting buried currents of obsession and fear, fascination and desire, intensify their passion as they test the charged ground between them. What grows from the depths of their spirits is a romance of scarcely six weeks' duration, and an experience that marks them for a lifetime. For what the two discover on the Riviera and during a sultry evening in Rome is the one thing both already fear they may never truly find again: total intimacy."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)
Member:the_darling_copilots
Title:Call Me By Your Name
Authors:Andre Aciman (Author)
Info:Atlantic Books (2017), Edition: Tie-In
Rating:*****

Call Me By Your Name by André Aciman (2007)

English (77)  Italian (6)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  All languages (89)
"But going back is false. Moving ahead is false. Looking the other way is false. Trying to redress all that is false turns out to be just as false."

This is an excellent book that I would give 4 1/2 stars to if I could. The narrator's inner dialog and decision-making is enough to sad sack self-sabotage that I found myself irritated at several places in a way that makes a book less satisfying to me. It's certainly understandable and well-rendered, just not my cup of tea; in balance, the book stays this side of that line and I am glad I kept with it. ( )
  NML_dc | Aug 17, 2019 |
my heart!! That was the best ending to a book I've read in a long time. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
What is André Aciman doing with Elio? Is he a naïve youth exploring different aspects of his feelings and personalities? Or is he a self-deluding narcicist who sees everything the the unreliable lenses of his shifting passions? I suppose he is both, which, for me, makes him a bit difficult to relate to. I want to shake him up and say, come on, you’re a smart kid, intellectual, talented, sensuous, feeling. Why are you wallowing in this overblown romanticism? Either jump the guy or move on, but don’t mope endlessly.
And there’s the problem, I suppose. Elio is a romantic teenager, exploring his identity and trying to come to terms with his desires, both emotional and sexual. In his relationship with Marzia, he learns something about love and willingly sharing his psychic being with another person. In his relationship with Oliver, he goes farther, and wants to become Oliver when he says, Call me by your name. Communication is a repeated theme in the novel, with successful and unsuccessful communications that range from the hinted and unspoken messages that Elio wants to read in a glance and that extend to to his desire for total intimacy and shared knowledge. But communication is the last thing that any of the characters find here when they are so often speaking at cross-purposes and avoiding what they want to say. And perhaps that’s the point.
Aciman parallels Elio’s two relationships when he joins them in the gift of the book, Se l’amore, If love. But the relationship with Marzia is a brief and simple one that Elio quickly abandons. The relationship with Oliver is complex and layered, which Elio (and I) hoped would prove to be more lasting. (This is a little ironic, as the European sensibility is portrayed here as more sophisticated and complex, while the American Oliver is brash and straightforward.) Aciman also mocks the literature of love in the pretentions and artifice of the poetry reading in Rome, which Elio sees through but still enjoys.
But of course, this is a summer love and even Elio knows that Oliver is leaving at the end of a few weeks. So he ends the summer heartbroken but wiser for having experienced a deep connection to Oliver. This is so familiar that it’s a cliché, even if it’s one that a reader can enjoy.
But then, there’s the conversation with Elio’s father, in which his father hints that he gave up (repressed) his homosexuality and married, ending up in a distant relationship with his wife. He tells Elio not to make the same mistake, not that Elio seems likely to. Elio does, however, show some casual homophobia in his self-loathing after his first sexual experience with Oliver, when he compares it the next morning with his experience with Marzia. Since the story seems to be set in about the 1970s or ’80s, that’s probably common enough for some young men, particular given Elio’s ambivalence. This adds a sociological line to the story that seems out of tone with the exaggerated romanticism of the rest of the story.
There’s another layer of complication here. The story is in the first person, in Elio’s voice, but apparently as a recollection of a distant past. A contemporary narrator occasionally makes an appearance reflecting on Elio’s story. And Elio himself re-connects briefly with the married Oliver later in life, and still finds a bond of unspoken communication. Is this story the naïve voice of Elio the younger or the mocking voice of Elio the mature exaggerating the naivety of his youth? In fact, there were several times, before the appearance of the narrator, where I wondered if this story was a satire of romantic self-absorbed youth. Perhaps this is how to take the story of the peach, so sensuous and yet so ridiculous.
So is this an exploration of the formation of the identity of a young gay man in the 1980s, or is it a satirical reflection on the comical exaggerations of romantic love? I’ll be interested to read what other readers comment on the novel. ( )
  rab1953 | Mar 7, 2019 |
I don't think I would have finished this if it wasn't a bookclub read. Never managed to gain any empathy for Elio or Oliver. They were both so clearly spoiled and privileged and maybe just a little bored.
I have read other gay fiction with much more body, (Alan Hollinghurst and John Boyne) come to mind, and very much enjoyed them, but Elio's internal dwelling on himself and his desires tested me. I don't really believe he actually loved Oliver. He was lusting after him before he even knew him. This sort of shallow emotion does not move me at all, and although I know they were young (Elio anyway) this youthful drive for sex with any gender does not automatically make it a good story. I thought their cavorting around Rome seemed a little pointless, nothing ever came of anything they did together except a bit of lustful sex. All up a pretty empty story for me. ( )
  jody12 | Feb 20, 2019 |
One of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Every single word has a purpose and is perfectly placed in the context of the story. And all the feelings...this book made me feel all of the feelings. I can see myself rereading this one many times over the rest of my life! ( )
  tntbeckyford | Feb 16, 2019 |
In poetic, elevated prose, André Aciman has written a powerful psychological drama of two bisexual men who share their most intimate selves, intellectually, spiritually, and physically. Elio’s thoughts and emotions are depicted in vivid detail that unashamedly highlights the infatuation, lust, love, and obsession that sometimes results from a first love.

André Acimanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Bastia, ValeriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Orth-Guttmann, RenateTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Albio, Alma de mi vida
"Later!" The word, the voice, the attitude.
Whoever said the soul and the body met in the pineal gland was a fool. It’s the asshole, stupid.
If youth must canter, then who’ll do the galloping?
Perhaps we were friends first and lovers second.
But then perhaps this is what lovers are.
All I knew was that I had nothing left to hide from him. I had never felt freer or safer in my life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible