The Paxton Papers

by J. R. Dunbar

2None4,225,875NoneNone
An attempt has been made to arrange the pamphlets reprinted in this volume in a chronological/argumentative sequence. The grammar, punctuation, and spelling of the originals have been kept; however, occasionally, where the spelling in the original might arouse serious question in the mind of the reader, the conventional symbol sic has been placed after the word. For permission to reprint these pamphlets I wish to thank the American Philosophical Society; The Historical Society of Pennsylvania; The Huntington Library, San Marino, Califor­ The Library Company of Philadelphia; and The New nia; York Public Library. I am particularly grateful for the generous help given me by the staffs of the American Philosophical Society and The Historical Society of Pennsylvania; I es­ pecially wish to thank Mr. Nicholas Biddle Wainwright, Re­ search Librarian of the latter Society, for prompt aid from a far distance in a number of trying circumstances. For permission to quote from Mr. Brooke Hindle's "The March of the Paxton Men," thanks are due to Mr. Lawrence W. Turner, editor of the William and Mary Quarter!J. TABLE OF CONTENTS Preface VII Introduction I A Narrative of the Late Massacres, in Lancaster County, of a Number of Indians, Friends of this Province, By Persons unknown. 55 Copy of a Letter From Charles Read, Esq: To The Hon: John Ladd, Esq: And his Associates, Justices of the Peace for the County of Gloucester. 77 The Cloven-Foot discovered.… (more)
Recently added byLibraryImporter

No reviews

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,479,364 books! | Top bar: Always visible