Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive…

Self-Esteem: A Proven Program of Cognitive Techniques for Assessing,…

by Matthew McKay

A bit of a (poorly) mixed bag. ( )
  lente | Sep 6, 2013 |
What I learned from this book:

1. If I have low self-esteem it is all my parents’ fault.
2. We are all valuable because we are alive and we just are trying to survive and doing the best we can. (Yeah, tell that to Ayn Rand.)
3. We can enhance our self-esteem through powerful visualization techniques, like visualizing ourselves getting out of bed or eating a sandwich. Ooh, that’ll work!
3. Self-hypnosis is easy and fun!
4. There is no such thing as good or bad or right or wrong. No one can be blamed or judged for anything they do or fail to do. “[P]eople always act according to their prevailing awareness, needs, and values. Even the terrorist planting bombs to hurt the innocent is making a decision based on his or her highest good.” Awesome. We can all be totally selfish and do whatever we want even if it results in the death of other people, as long as we feel good about ourselves while doing it!
5. I pretty much stopped listening after #4. What crock of bantha poodoo.
6. Oh, yeah, one more important thing: A major drawback of reading e-books is the inability to fling a book across the room with great force when it makes you as angry as #4 made me. ( )
  shinyone | Mar 31, 2012 |
This is an okay book if you're looking for a pretty structured "course" to work through, and if you're fairly open-minded, and if you don't mind the occasional pablum, poor writing, and excessive arguments.

However, if you're like me, and find the inappropriate use of the word "literally" (as in, "you will literally jump out of your skin") distracting, or think that notions of forgiveness and repentance are more than just psychological baggage to be disposed of at the nearest opportunity, or have difficulty suspending your likes and dislikes for the sake of arbitrary exercises, you might want to look elsewhere. Because the book can be exhausting in those sorts of ways. ( )
  lloannna | Jul 30, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0312904436, Mass Market Paperback)

Are you your own worst enemy?
Are youd evastated by criticism? Do you have trouble your loved ones what you really need? If you said yes, you're a victim of low self-esteem.

Learn to be your own best friend!
This easy, step-by-step program can start changing that today! You can radically improve the way you feel about yourself and discover an attractive, confident, and happier you.

Discover:
simple exercises to focus on your good points
how to combat your critical inner voice
techniques to stop your" shoulds"--those damaging rules about how you "should" be
effective ways to deal with criticism

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:22:09 -0400)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,727,155 books! | Top bar: Always visible