Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, Volume…

Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, Volume 3) (original 1999; edition 2000)

by Tad Williams

Teacher Renie Sulaweyo, the Bushman !Xabbu, and their companions struggle to solve the mysteries of Otherland before the virtual reality realm run by the ruthless Grail Brotherhood takes over the minds of Earth's children forever.
Member:Falcon124
Title:Mountain of Black Glass (Otherland, Volume 3)
Authors:Tad Williams
Info:DAW (2000), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback, 784 pages

Mountain of Black Glass by Tad Williams (1999)

English (16)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
2011 Review:
Things really start to come together in this book. We find out the ultimate aims of the Grail and the Circle. Paul Jonas has a bit revealed about his past and the group makes it back together. Fantastic writing, tons of action. Dread is a great bad guy.

2001 Review:
good as second, no better tho ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
This book is massive and, for me, dragged a bit in the middle. However, it dramatically picks up in the second half and the ending gets rather exciting, forcing the reader (me) to pick up the next book right away (another 1000 pages). The characters are richly drawn in the Otherland series, and the 3rd book is no exception. The reader is drawn closer and closer to the characters, and Williams delves deeper into their minds and psyches. It is rather impressive how many different voices are present in the series, with each having a separate and unique personality.

The series presents chaotic situation and baffling scenario after chaotic situation and baffling scenario, yet the story as a whole continues to move forward, answering some questions and leaving more in its wake. The series shifts a bit into a more fantasy-like genre for much of book 3, but the sci-fi is still definitely present, and I am continually impressed with the depth of Williams' thinking and exploration. Although Book 3 lagged a bit in the middle for me, I am still overall very pleased with the series.

I am not saying more because ... any discussion of the plot of book 3 would be spoiler. :)
But a few thoughts for those who've read them already:
I absolutely love the developing personality of the Other. It is interesting how child-like he seems and I get the feeling that he is protecting the children that have been taken hostage, even if he needs them to operate.

I also am very interested in the developing relationship between Dread and Dulcie Anwin... and the developing case that Calliope is working through. I love that it is culminating in Sydney.

I am pleased that Jacoubian and Wells' stories developed the way they did... even in the apparent death of Jacoubian. And it's sooooo interesting that the ceremony didn't work for any of the brotherhood except partially for the one guy (whose name is evading me right now). BUT I wonder if the brotherhood may actually somehow be revived at some point in book 4 --- after all, they are, at this point, "merely code" anyway.

There is definitely more to !Xabbu than meets the eye.. his response was interesting when Renie said he was back in his real form (or however she phrased that)... and he didn't respond as expected.

Ooooh, and I loved who Emily was. But 2 questions remain at this point... if one of her other selves killed her... why was the baby she may have been carrying such a central point of her character for so long? Maybe something will develop where the presence of the baby was crucial... And the 2nd question is ... Dread said he "left something behind" with Martine when he was killed (when in Quan Li's body).... I don't think we know what that is yet... If so, I completely missed it!

Mmmmm... that's all for now. :)

This book gets another . ( )
  avanders | May 31, 2016 |
In this penultimate volume, the basic conflict in the real world, and in Otherland is laid bare. The Grail Brotherhood continues to defend itself from the adventurers and the episodes are played out at the siege of Troy, ( )
  DinadansFriend | Jun 6, 2014 |
Kept me on the hook and looking for volume 4 ( )
  Chris.Graham | Jul 30, 2013 |
Very long but for some reason I couldn't put it down. Amazing that a fantasy author could put out science fiction of this caliber. ( )
  wweisser | Jul 6, 2013 |
This is still dedicated to you-know-who,
even if he doesn't.
Maybe we can keep this a secret
all the way to the final volume.
As she spoke, the flame of the oil lamp repeatedly drew his eye, a wriggling brightness that in such a still room might have been the only real thing in all the universe.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,601 books! | Top bar: Always visible