THE DARKEST ROAD (FIONAVAR TAPESTRY S.) by…

THE DARKEST ROAD (FIONAVAR TAPESTRY S.) (original 1986; edition 1988)

by GUY GARRIEL KAY (Author)

Member:JohnFair
Title:THE DARKEST ROAD (FIONAVAR TAPESTRY S.)
Authors:GUY GARRIEL KAY (Author)
Info:HARPERCOLLINS (1988), Edition: New Ed, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:fantasy, alternate world, lios alfar, fionavar, rakoth maugrim, darian

The Darkest Road by Guy Gavriel Kay (1986)

Recently added byheinemusik, Darth-Heather, CaptainBookamir, cpjhenry, private library, vandaaway, Heather39, Shinyhead, Hecate45
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: While it's not an official sequel (thus not tagged with this series), there's some recurring characters from Fionavar.

English (37)  Dutch (2)  All languages (39)
The cumulation of our time in Fionavar, this book takes us through some dark times for the Grand Alliance as the forces of the Unraveller appear set to overwhelm all before them. Kimm, Seer of Brennin fails to take away the glory of the Dwarves, thereby appearing to doom the armies of Light to the oversight of the swans of Maugrim but she was sickened by the way the War Stone ripped out the heart of those it glowed for. Jennifer's child from her rape at the hand of Maugrim makes his way to the Dark Lord who he thought was the only person to love him, only to be cruelly disappointed.

If there was one disappointment with this closing part of the trilogy, it was just how easily the conflict was brought to an end but the story is more or less consistent with the rest of the storyline ( )
  JohnFair | Dec 23, 2018 |
The Darkest Road is the final book in The Fionavar Tapestry. This series started off really strong. The first book had a few rough patches, but I had no problem overlooking them due to my interest in the characters and the story and the newly-introduced setting. The second and third books became more problematic for me. I did still enjoy them, but I enjoyed each book less than the one before.

The second and third books rely to an increasingly heavy extent on real-world myths and legends, and that’s a large part of what became tiresome to me. Some of it was really angsty and melodramatic, made worse in my eyes by the fact that I wasn’t at all interested in that aspect of the story. Resolutions to problems were often unrealistic, relying a great deal on coincidences and intuition, or special abilities discovered at precisely the moment they were needed.

It wasn’t all as bad as I might be making it sound, though. I still liked most of the main characters, and I was often absorbed by the story aside from the unrealistic and/or melodramatic moments. Based on what I’ve read from him so far, which includes this series plus two other books, Kay has a way with words that draws me into a story, and he’s especially good at writing characters and friendships that I care about. I intend to read more of his work in the future. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Apr 30, 2018 |
I'm sad, I didn't like this more. I thought the first book was such a magical experience that I probably expected way too much from the sequels, but I didn't enjoy the Arthurian legends Kay introduced in book two and ended up mostly skimming book three.

I'm still going to read Guy Gavriel Kay's other books because I love his prose, love his writing and think he's a fantastic author. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 22, 2018 |
Superb, absolutely superb. I make it a point not to spend over $9.99 for a Kindle book, but I have been waiting a long time for this series to be released, so I didn't hesitate at all to buy each of the three books in this series despite the fact they were each around $12.99. Though I have only read it once before, about fifteen or twenty years ago, I remembered it as an outstanding story, and I wanted to read it again. That impression was vindicated as I came to the last page of the last book. Kay really knows how to end a story.

This is an outstanding series on every level: characters, plot, theme, setting. Highly, highly recommended, though definitely for older readers due to some mature content. ( )
  nsenger | Nov 6, 2016 |
My review is on my blog. Six stars again. ( )
  KateSherrod | Aug 1, 2016 |
Ce troisième livre possède sans aucun doute le souffle épique qui manquait aux précédents. Chaque élèment trouve sa place, et la puissance d'évocation est impressionnante. Les personnages prennent peu à peu leur vraie dimension, et l'ensemble se lit, ma foi...d'une traite.

Auteur canadien, Guy Gavriel Kay aime les mythes, la fantasy et l'histoire médiévale. Sa merveilleuse Chanson d'Arbonne en a fait rêver plus d'un avec son mélange de magie et d'amour courtois. Avec cette série, il se lance plus dans la fantasy que dans son pendant historico-merveilleux, avec délice et humour.
Cinq jeunes gens d'une petite ville américaine reçoivent la visite d'un étrange personnage (et même de plusieurs) qui les entraîne dans un monde dont ils n'ont pas la moindre idée, monde de magie et de contes où leur présence est nécessaire à l'avènement d'un nouveau roi. Un par un, nos cinq contemporains se découvrent un destin étrange qui les éloigne encore plus de leur histoire et de leur monde. La tapisserie du monde est complexe, alignant côte à côte des histoires et des univers que tout sépare, que rien ne lie mais qui pourtant s'interpénètrent et se rejoignent par intervalles. Dans cette complexité, les personnalités de nos jeunes gens vont s'affirmer, révélant des traits qu'on n'aurait pu imaginer, leur ouvrant des perspectives inconnues en nous faisant rêver. Les différents peuples de ce monde étrange qui semble être au centre du nôtre, sont attachants et pourtant différents... Une fantasy mythologique et médiévale rare.
added by Ariane65 | editPhenix, sara Doke (Mar 1, 1999)

Guy Gavriel Kayprimary authorall editionscalculated
Howe, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Odom, MelCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Springett, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
At the beginning of this road as at the beginning of all roads are my parents, Sybil and Sam Kay. This tapestry is theirs.
"Do you know the wish of your heart?"

The concluding novel in Kay's trilogy, The Fionavar Tapestry, opens as the fantasy world's magically prolonged winter yields to spring - but a spring where showers bring death, emptying entire cities. To combat the arch evil Rakoth Maugrim, the High King of Brennin marches north with his army and allies, anticipating a final confrontation. At the same time, a crucial choice faces young Darien, the son produced by Rakoth's rape of Guinevere. Feeling rejected by the good and the light, Darien sets off on the dark road to his father.

In the final battle between good and evil, five young men and women must each face the malfeasance of Rakoth Maugrim.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,423,430 books! | Top bar: Always visible