HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Summer Tree by Guy Gavriel Kay
Loading...

The Summer Tree (1984)

by Guy Gavriel Kay

Other authors: See the other authors section.

Series: Fionavar Tapestry (1)

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingConversations / Mentions
2,955721,943 (3.96)1 / 156

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

English (69)  Dutch (2)  Italian (1)  All languages (72)
Showing 1-5 of 69 (next | show all)
Please read the full review on Weighing A Pig Doesn't Fatten It...

(...)

So, why, despite the fact that one can make a pretty solid case for this book to be generic in most of its aspects, was I blown away by it? I think because Kay manages to convey one of the key aspects of a Romantic worldview so, so well: we, mortal humans, are part of a vast Whole that is mysterious, ancient, uncaring and unforgiving. This Whole determines us, but at the same time we determine parts of the Whole too. We cannot expect the Whole to do our bidding, that we have to do ourselves. In acknowledging this, and in doing this bidding, living our lives, there is heroism and honor to be found.

(...) ( )
  bormgans | Jan 22, 2016 |
I haven't read a book like this in quite awhile-- interesting use of contemporary people being pulled into a fantasy setting, not cutting back and forth between time periods the way some books do. The five people have different and interesting reactions to what happens to them. The last scene is a bit tough to take, although it seems like things will pull together in the next books, I guess if you want to get a feel for real evil...
I will read the next one, probably deserves an extra 1/2 star? ( )
  ehousewright | Jan 18, 2016 |
Kay's tragic take on Lord of the Rings is an excellent book for reading on public transit. The portal fantasy structure allows him to be critical of--but also enamored of--Tolkien's work (like Grossman's take on his source material in the Magicians series). Kay's Song for Arbonne is a much better book, but I enjoyed the characters and familiar tropes in this one.
  Marjorie_Jensen | Nov 12, 2015 |
Wonderful how he weaves all matter of myth into the story with his main characters. Thoroughly enjoyed. ( )
  Aronfish | Jul 7, 2015 |
This is difficult. If someone asked me how I'd rate this book, I would say "it was OK". On the other hand I liked it, so I ended up giving it three stars.

I don't understand exactly the raving reviews and the high ratings. It's a good book and writing and language are very often highly entertaining. At the same time I miss something. I can't put my finger on it, but there is something preventing me from completely enjoying it.

But at the same time I wouldn't want this odd feeling to keep anyone from reading it. They might share the highly enthusiastic feeling that seems prevalent in the readers of this book. ( )
  kenzen | Feb 23, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 69 (next | show all)
Une idée de départ intéressante (cinq étudiants terriens partent dans un monde de fantasy, ce qui permet de s'identifier aux personnages) pour une série qui louche plus ou moins habilement du côté de Tolkien...
Mais tout cela est finalement assez lourd, justement à cause de cette façon de raconter l'histoire de façon dramatique, comme si elle était rapportée bien plus tard sous forme de légendes... Il y a des moments très poétiques, d'autres terrifiants, d'autres drôles, pas mal de bonnes idées, mais les personnages ne parviennent pas à se rendre attachants, et l'histoire, avec son côté "inexorable", semble très pesante par moment
 
Auteur canadien, Guy Gavriel Kay aime les mythes, la fantasy et l'histoire médiévale. Sa merveilleuse Chanson d'Arbonne en a fait rêver plus d'un avec son mélange de magie et d'amour courtois. Avec cette série, il se lance plus dans la fantasy que dans son pendant historico-merveilleux, avec délice et humour.
Cinq jeunes gens d'une petite ville américaine reçoivent la visite d'un étrange personnage (et même de plusieurs) qui les entraîne dans un monde dont ils n'ont pas la moindre idée, monde de magie et de contes où leur présence est nécessaire à l'avènement d'un nouveau roi. Un par un, nos cinq contemporains se découvrent un destin étrange qui les éloigne encore plus de leur histoire et de leur monde. La tapisserie du monde est complexe, alignant côte à côte des histoires et des univers que tout sépare, que rien ne lie mais qui pourtant s'interpénètrent et se rejoignent par intervalles. Dans cette complexité, les personnalités de nos jeunes gens vont s'affirmer, révélant des traits qu'on n'aurait pu imaginer, leur ouvrant des perspectives inconnues en nous faisant rêver. Les différents peuples de ce monde étrange qui semble être au centre du nôtre, sont attachants et pourtant différents... Une fantasy mythologique et médiévale rare.
added by Ariane65 | editPhenix, Sara DOKE (Mar 1, 1999)
 

» Add other authors (11 possible)

Author nameRoleType of authorWork?Status
Guy Gavriel Kayprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Springett, MartinCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Information from the French Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
The Summer Tree is dedicated to the memory of my grandmother, Tania Pollock Birstein, whose gravestone reads, "Beautiful, Loving, Loved," and who was all of these things.
First words
In the spaces of calm almost lost in what followed, the question of why tended to surface. Why them?
En los períodos de calma casi borrados por lo que después siguió, la pregunta "¿por qué?" emergía a la superficie. ¿Por qué a ellos?
After the war was over, they bound him under the Mountain. (Prologue)
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Information from the French Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to your language.
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (2)

Book description
It all began with a lecture that introduced five university students to a man who would change their lives, a wizard who could take them from Earth to the heart of the first of all worlds - Fionavar. And take them Loren Silvercloak did, for his need - the need of Fionavar and all the worlds - was great indeed.

And in a marvelous land of men and dwarves, of wizards and gods - and of the Unraveller and his minions of Darkness - Kimberly, Dave, Jennifer, Kevin, and Paul discovered who they were truly meant to be. For the five were a long-awaited part of the pattern known as the Fionavar Tapestry, and only if they accepted their destiny would the armies of the Light stand any chance of surviving when the Unraveller unleashed his wrath upon the world.
Haiku summary

No descriptions found.

Five university students are whisked from Toronto to an alternate world where they must help to battle a great evil.

» see all 3 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
8 avail.
38 wanted
2 pay2 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.96)
0.5 2
1 12
1.5 3
2 38
2.5 16
3 131
3.5 57
4 226
4.5 32
5 263

Audible.com

2 editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

See editions

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,854,278 books! | Top bar: Always visible