Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything…

Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything (2006)

by E. Lockhart

English (24)  French (1)  All languages (25)
It's short, but doesn't have very much plot. It's supposed to be about a girl who Franz Kafka's into a fly, so she can know what boys are really like, what they talk about, what goes on when girls aren't there turning them into monkey-idiots.

The thing is, it doesn't seem like her big problem is understanding boys, but getting people to understand her. She goes to an arts high school where her teacher frowns on her refusal to branch from a comic book style. Her parents spring a divorce on her, then her mom leaves her daughter behind while she goes on a week-long cruise (this makes it convenient to be a fly for a week). She's not boy-crazy, like I'd expect out of a plot like this.

It's decent at learning about the gendered Other, but doesn't go as far with the idea as it could and uses too much melodrama. The titular "fly on the wall" literally doesn't leave the locker room, and there is a lot more to teen males than what happens there. It's like studying polar bear behavior only in the zoo. There's a significant portion of the text dedicated to discovering boys' "gherkins". Is this a northeastern thing? I've NEVER heard anyone use the word gherkin, least of all as much as she does.

But it's easy and short. I think you'll get something out of it, as long as you're not looking for much. ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 24, 2014 |
I choose this book because I wanted to read a book in one evening. I heard some good things about it and it would be funny so I tried it. I liked the story. The best part in the book is the part where she is the fly on the wall and rates the boys. It's just for once not the boys who rates the girls and i liked that :) I didn't really laughed but I enjoyed reading it. But it's too bad that the story is so short. Ok , that was a big reason to read it, but I had the feeling that the author could have get more out of the story. I found that the part where she is fly, ended too soon. I would've liked it if it was longer and happened more :)

So it's not the best book in the world in my opinion, but nice to read sometime :) ( )
  yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |

yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |
E. Lockhart is one of the best young adult novelists writing today. She is somehow able to capture what it is like to be a teenager -- complete with family issues and tension, friendship problems and boy-angst. She writes in a way that is fun, easy to read and humorous. Fly on the Wall is not my favorite of Lockhart, but it is darned good.

Fly on the Wall is a very short book, the audio is only about 5 hours but is superbly done. The setting is New York City and an art based charter school. The main character sees herself like most teenage girls do -- full of flaws. She wonders why her best friend won't call her back and wishes that the boy she likes would notice her. She wants her parents to stay together and stop fighting. And she can't figure out how to clean her room.

I went blind into this book, reading it only because it was written by E. Lockhart. But this book has an element of magical realism, somehow, improbably the main character spends a week as a fly on the wall in the boys locker room. The set-up seems crazy, but Lockhart makes it work. The week spent as a fly is surprisingly not gross and Gretchen makes some silly discoveries (hey those cute boys have lots of imperfections too! boys are shy in the locker room too! why do the boys have more space than the girls?)

Fans of realistic (yes, even though she turns into a fly) young adult fiction would enjoy this book. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
This story was more of an essay or excercise than a full book, though most of my disappointment probably stems from how much I enjoy E. Lockhart's characters. At the end I wanted more Gretchen. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |

At the Manhattan School for Art and Music, where everyone is “different” and everyone is “special,” Gretchen Yee feels ordinary. She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man, so she won’t have to talk to anyone; who has a crush on Titus but won’t do anything about it; who has no one to hang out with when her best (and only real) friend Katya is busy.
One day, Gretchen wishes that she could be a fly on the wall in the boys’ locker room–just to learn more about guys. What are they really like? What do they really talk about? Are they really cretins most of the time?
Fly on the Wall is the story of how that wish comes true.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

When Gretchen Yee, a student at the Manhattan School for Art and Music, wishes she were a fly on the wall of the boys' locker room, she never expects her wish to come true in such a dramatic way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,320,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible