Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything…

Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything (2006)

by E. Lockhart

English (23)  French (1)  All languages (24)
I choose this book because I wanted to read a book in one evening. I heard some good things about it and it would be funny so I tried it. I liked the story. The best part in the book is the part where she is the fly on the wall and rates the boys. It's just for once not the boys who rates the girls and i liked that :) I didn't really laughed but I enjoyed reading it. But it's too bad that the story is so short. Ok , that was a big reason to read it, but I had the feeling that the author could have get more out of the story. I found that the part where she is fly, ended too soon. I would've liked it if it was longer and happened more :)

So it's not the best book in the world in my opinion, but nice to read sometime :) ( )
  yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |

yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |
E. Lockhart is one of the best young adult novelists writing today. She is somehow able to capture what it is like to be a teenager -- complete with family issues and tension, friendship problems and boy-angst. She writes in a way that is fun, easy to read and humorous. Fly on the Wall is not my favorite of Lockhart, but it is darned good.

Fly on the Wall is a very short book, the audio is only about 5 hours but is superbly done. The setting is New York City and an art based charter school. The main character sees herself like most teenage girls do -- full of flaws. She wonders why her best friend won't call her back and wishes that the boy she likes would notice her. She wants her parents to stay together and stop fighting. And she can't figure out how to clean her room.

I went blind into this book, reading it only because it was written by E. Lockhart. But this book has an element of magical realism, somehow, improbably the main character spends a week as a fly on the wall in the boys locker room. The set-up seems crazy, but Lockhart makes it work. The week spent as a fly is surprisingly not gross and Gretchen makes some silly discoveries (hey those cute boys have lots of imperfections too! boys are shy in the locker room too! why do the boys have more space than the girls?)

Fans of realistic (yes, even though she turns into a fly) young adult fiction would enjoy this book. ( )
  ReginaR | Aug 3, 2013 |
This story was more of an essay or excercise than a full book, though most of my disappointment probably stems from how much I enjoy E. Lockhart's characters. At the end I wanted more Gretchen. ( )
  Capnrandm | Apr 15, 2013 |
This was exactly the kind of light reading I needed while I sludged through the grand book that is [b:Dune|234225|Dune|Frank Herbert|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1349105964s/234225.jpg|3634639].

Meet Gretchen Yee, a relatively ordinary girl in a school where everyone is "different" and everyone is "special". She eats lunch mostly alone now, since her best friend is always busy hanging out with the Art Rats, also she doesn't have the nerve to talk to her crush, Titus. One day she wishes she was a fly in the wall of the boy's locker room, then literally becomes one, and the fun ensues.

I found it funny that most of her schoolmates, in being outspoken in their individuality, lost their individuality. (I actually pride myself in being "different" but in a world where everyone strives to be different - by shocking people - suddenly I don't want to be different. Nonconformity-conformity makes sense to me.)

It is ironically Gretchen who maintains her individuality by sticking to what she loves and who she is. How can you not like a girl who's finally figured out who she is, and decides to live her life? The kind of girl who doesn't just think:

“I love the idea of the big life - the life that matters, the life that makes a difference. The life where stuff happens, where people take action. The opposite of the life where the girl can't even speak to the boy she likes; the opposite of the life where the friends aren't even good friends, and lots of days are wasted away feeling bored and kind of okay, like nothing matters much.”

but actually gets it.

I'm a little dissatisfied with the resolutions, though. Everything was tied up neatly, except for the bullying part. So it doesn't count as a completely happy ending to me.

Overall, *3.5 stars. It was funny and sweet and just feel-good. Perfect for light reading. ( )
  qquiet | Apr 2, 2013 |

At the Manhattan School for Art and Music, where everyone is “different” and everyone is “special,” Gretchen Yee feels ordinary. She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man, so she won’t have to talk to anyone; who has a crush on Titus but won’t do anything about it; who has no one to hang out with when her best (and only real) friend Katya is busy.
One day, Gretchen wishes that she could be a fly on the wall in the boys’ locker room–just to learn more about guys. What are they really like? What do they really talk about? Are they really cretins most of the time?
Fly on the Wall is the story of how that wish comes true.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

When Gretchen Yee, a student at the Manhattan School for Art and Music, wishes she were a fly on the wall of the boys' locker room, she never expects her wish to come true in such a dramatic way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,710,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible