Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything…

Fly on the Wall: How One Girl Saw Everything (2006)

by E. Lockhart

English (26)  French (1)  All languages (27)
Narrated by Caitlin Greer. Would-be censors alert: A whole chapter describing penises and boys' butts! Gretchen attends an art high school in Manhattan, feeling ordinary and invisible. After she wishes aloud she could be a fly on the wall in the locker room to learn more about what makes boys tick, she wakes up one morning as a fly in said locker room. Of course, the first thing she zooms in on are the boys' privates. The premise of the story is intriguing; most girls do wish they understood why boys are like that and what a great way to spy on them unnoticed. Outside of the metamorphosis, I found this a routine YA novel, standard stuff for the romantically yearning girl, and slow to start. And I wished certain of the boys Gretchen spies on would have gotten some comeuppance for their loutish behavior. Gretchen finally gets her man and wins locker-room equality for the girls, but nothing really happens to the gay-bashers and bullies. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I liked this book because Gretchen, the main character, was totally unlike me. I realize that's the point of fiction - reading about different people who lead different lives than you, but I feel like I pretty much read the same type of stuff. Gretchen is a half Asian, half Jewish girl going to an arts high school. She loves comic books, and draws exclusively in that style. Her social circle includes just one close friend, and her experience with boys is extremely limited. So, when she wakes up (after reading The Metamorphosis for English class, of course) and finds herself as a fly in the boys' locker room, she learns more than she ever expected to. Overall it's an interesting story with a sweet ending. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
It's short, but doesn't have very much plot. It's supposed to be about a girl who Franz Kafka's into a fly, so she can know what boys are really like, what they talk about, what goes on when girls aren't there turning them into monkey-idiots.

The thing is, it doesn't seem like her big problem is understanding boys, but getting people to understand her. She goes to an arts high school where her teacher frowns on her refusal to branch from a comic book style. Her parents spring a divorce on her, then her mom leaves her daughter behind while she goes on a week-long cruise (this makes it convenient to be a fly for a week). She's not boy-crazy, like I'd expect out of a plot like this.

It's decent at learning about the gendered Other, but doesn't go as far with the idea as it could and uses too much melodrama. The titular "fly on the wall" literally doesn't leave the locker room, and there is a lot more to teen males than what happens there. It's like studying polar bear behavior only in the zoo. There's a significant portion of the text dedicated to discovering boys' "gherkins". Is this a northeastern thing? I've NEVER heard anyone use the word gherkin, least of all as much as she does.

But it's easy and short. I think you'll get something out of it, as long as you're not looking for much. ( )
  theWallflower | Nov 24, 2014 |
I choose this book because I wanted to read a book in one evening. I heard some good things about it and it would be funny so I tried it. I liked the story. The best part in the book is the part where she is the fly on the wall and rates the boys. It's just for once not the boys who rates the girls and i liked that :) I didn't really laughed but I enjoyed reading it. But it's too bad that the story is so short. Ok , that was a big reason to read it, but I had the feeling that the author could have get more out of the story. I found that the part where she is fly, ended too soon. I would've liked it if it was longer and happened more :)

So it's not the best book in the world in my opinion, but nice to read sometime :) ( )
  yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |

yasmine_d | Mar 8, 2014 |

At the Manhattan School for Art and Music, where everyone is “different” and everyone is “special,” Gretchen Yee feels ordinary. She’s the kind of girl who sits alone at lunch, drawing pictures of Spider-Man, so she won’t have to talk to anyone; who has a crush on Titus but won’t do anything about it; who has no one to hang out with when her best (and only real) friend Katya is busy.
One day, Gretchen wishes that she could be a fly on the wall in the boys’ locker room–just to learn more about guys. What are they really like? What do they really talk about? Are they really cretins most of the time?
Fly on the Wall is the story of how that wish comes true.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:47 -0400)

When Gretchen Yee, a student at the Manhattan School for Art and Music, wishes she were a fly on the wall of the boys' locker room, she never expects her wish to come true in such a dramatic way.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,019,756 books! | Top bar: Always visible