Home From the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean

Home From the Vinyl Cafe (original 1998; edition 1999)

by Stuart McLean (Author)

Member:mfagan
Title:Home From the Vinyl Cafe
Authors:Stuart McLean (Author)
Info:Penguin (1999), 256 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Home from the Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean (1998)

Enjoyable and great for the laughs. Very easy to pick up and put down until you can get back to it.Style of writing reminds me of Dave Barry and Phillip Gulley.My favorite stories were the turkey and the cat,guinea pig and the friends party stories. ( )
  LauGal | Aug 16, 2016 |
Stuart McLean is brilliant, and while I'm rating the print book, his stories are best when you hear him read them. Some are poignant, some hilarious. I have read this book, but have heard more stories than this. ( )
  Karin7 | Jan 20, 2016 |
I can see why Stuart McLean is one of Canada's beloved storytellers through the warmth, humanity and humor of his stories. My favorite stories came early in the book, one of them being "Turkey" which starts off both the book and the Winter section. The description of the turkey before it was roasted had me and my husband howling with laughter. Another favorite is the one about the birthday party, especially the scene where Dave tries to frost the cake while it is still warm. My husband recently made the same mistake when he was frosting my birthday cake. I think there is enough depth to this collection of stories that most any one can come away with a favorite story or at least a favorite scene. ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 17, 2014 |
"The first Stuart McLean I ever read. It was a Christmas gift from my parent's and I was hooked. " ( )
  monnibo | Nov 9, 2012 |
These are stories from fictional character Dave, proud owner of the Vinyl Cafe http://www.cbc.ca/vinylcafe/home.php - - the World's smallest record store whose motto is "We May Not be big, but we're small". These humorous stories are often centered on Dave and his bungles, but also feature his wife (Morley) and the kids (Stephanie and Sam) as well as the cat and some of the neighbors. Note: Some of these stories were previously published in Stories from the Viny Cafe (1995) and Home from the Vinyl Cafe (1998). (lj) ( )
  eduscapes | Apr 21, 2010 |
For Peter Gzowski
When Carl Lowbeer bought his wife, Gerta, The Complete Christmas Planner, he did not understand what he was doing.

Welcome to the Vinyl Cafe. Motto: "We May Not Be Big, But We're Small". Introducing Dave, owner of a downtown Toronto record store and his wife, Morley, and chronicling their valiant attempts to rise to the challenges of modern life, these are tales of everyday struggles and triumphs. In these hymns to common foibles and absurdities, nothing ever quite goes according to plan. A sleepover for ten small boys ends abruptly after an inadvertent screeing of "The Night of the Zombies"; a family holiday is interrupted by a surprising feline discovery under the bonnet of the car; a balding guinea pig runs up a vet's bill for £563.30; preparations for Christmas dinner unexpectedly involve an electric blanket, a hair dryer, a bottle of scotch and a hotel bill. Along the way, Dave and Morley battle to maintain perspective on the idiosyncrasies of elderly parents, teenaged children, friends, neighbours and unannounced guests.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:18 -0400)

"We May Not Be Big, But We're Small," reads the framed motto by the cash register in The Vinyl Cafe, a quirky second-hand record store in Canada. The stories in this book chronicle the misadventures of the Vinyl Cafe's proprietor, Dave. Dave, and his wife Morley, would, no doubt, tell you that life is what you make it.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,870,087 books! | Top bar: Always visible