The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

The Boyfriend List (2005)

by E. Lockhart

Series: Ruby Oliver (1)

1,119657,372 (3.63)33

English (64)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (65)
Narrated by Mandy Siegfried. After Ruby suffers a panic attack, her parents send her to see a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist suggests that Ruby list all the boyfriends she's had. Ruby lists boys she interested in, kissed or dated (even if only once), all the way back to preschool. In the book she describes and discusses each boy in turn, but always goes back to discussing Jackson, probably the one boy she could consider a real boyfriend. Set in Seattle; she lives on a houseboat. Lib notes: She never has sex with any of the boys but there are scenes of groping and bawdy girl talk about boys and sex.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
This was a fun perspective from a fifteen year old girl, Ruby, and her take on he fickleness of teenage boys. I loved the mom as well (not that I saw anything of myself in her or anything!) ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I actually didn't read this. I listened to the audiobook. It was a good read. Ruby felt mostly real. Lockhart nailed the strange mix of confusion and confidence you have as a teenager. Ruby had an extensive vocabulary and she used it well. I enjoyed that. She also did a fine job of giving the characters one view and the reader another - meaning, the reader knows Jackson is a two-face cheater, but Ruby doesn't - she has the naivety of someone who hasn't learned that sort of thing yet. The secondary characters differing personality and even some depth. But in the end, the book just had too much drama for me to be believable. So while I was entertained by the story, and even found some humorous parts, in the end, there was just too much nonsense. It reminded me of some those angsty CW TV shows - which I hate. I probably won't read the rest in the series.
  empress8411 | Sep 5, 2015 |
The Boyfriend List: 15 Guys, 11 Shrink Appointments, 4 Ceramic Frogs, and Me, Ruby Oliver

The Characters

Ruby Oliver and Friends: I really liked Ruby, no so much most of her friends.

The Story

Ruby’s cool but man does she show us how a few mistakes can lead a girl down a terrible path. Fortunately Ruby only glimpses the path and doesn’t take it. She’s stronger than most girls in her position I think despite the way she lets some people take advantage of her. (That thought seems so contradictory.)

Overall I quite enjoyed the book and will continue the series.

The Random Thoughts

4 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | May 21, 2015 |

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlino, AngelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siegfried, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dear old high school friends, who were (and still are) excellent and hilarious-and who never did anything like the bad stuff people do in this book

Ruby Oliver is a teenage girl who is in high school. She is the only child and her parents worry about her a lot. All of her friends are rich. She lives in a boat house type of thing.

She has a lot of stress because she broke up with her boyfriend and all her friends are mad at her. All of a sudden she got a panic attack while eating dinner with her mom and dad. Her parents where arguing while she was having the panic attack and she got even more mad. Her mom got nervous because they have a friend who has panic attacks and he never comes out of his apartment. Thats when she meets her therapist Dr.Z

(third summary, Liliana) Ruby had a crush on her friends brother but nothing ever happened. She wrote Ruby loves GVD for Gideon Van Duesen on her shoe. Her friend Nora saw it and she freaked out because it was her older brother. She had promised Ruby she wouldn't tell Gideon but someone did and he asked her if he could see. She got shy and said no but then he tackled her down in the grass and saw. He didn't get bothered by it, in fact he thought it was sweet and said he rather have had her write it than any other of Nora's friend.

As Ruby talks about other boys and what happened with them she seems to remember everything about Jackson(her actual boyfriend). She remembers the first time they went on a date to a hamburger hangout place for juniors and seniors. She remembers when his ex-girlfriend called him and she happened to pick up. And she just remembers how good he made her felt and now wishes they were back together.

(3rd summary Martha)
well right now ruby is talking about Tommy hazard. he was her and her best friend Kimmy imaginary boyfriend. he was the perfect guy for both of them. but for ruby her Tommy changed through out the years while Kimmy's stayed the same. and they always compared Tommy to the real life guys or boyfriends they had. but for some reason they would never stand up to Tommy's standard. they would call them the right now not the right one. and in the book it was time for Halloween. where ruby and her class went to the boys and girls club to volunteer in a Halloween party for the kids. there she meet Finn who was Kimmy's boyfriend. through out the night ruby and Finn hit it of. also because they were wearing kinda the same outfit. she was wearing a kitty costume while Finn was wearing a "panther" which looked like a kitty to ruby. for some reason Kimmy got kinda mad or jealous. which brought it down for her to get into a fight with her boyfriend Finn. when this was happening ruby's parents were going to a Halloweens party. but her mom didn't know what to wear. but his dad did not want to wear what her mom wanted them to wear. they wanted to wear a taco. her being the filling of the taco and him being the shell.

(fourth summary Liliana) The list has moved on to Tommy Hazard. Tommy Hazard has it all. He is prince charming for ruby and her best friend kim. He like the both girls but they don't seem to care. Tommy spends every moment he can with ruby or kim or even both at times. This Tommy character is an imaginary boy that ruby and kim have made up. They made him up because they wish a special boy like Tommy would come into there life.

Tommy changes over time for Ruby. Sometimes he is a california blonde surfer. Other times he's this quiet boy that ruby talks to. For kim he's always been the same. Clean cut guy that's always there for her. He was the one kim went to when she would break up with her boyfriends.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385732074, Paperback)

E. Lockhart’s spot-on dialogue and descriptions of painfully but hilariously relatable situations make this young adult novel an addictive read.

Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
   * lost her best friend (Kim)
   * lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
   * did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
   * did something advanced with a boy (#15)
   * had an argument with a boy (#14)
   * had a panic attack
   * lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
   * failed a math test (she'll make it up)
   * hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
   * became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
   * had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the
   boys'!?!)

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:15 -0400)

A Seattle fifteen-year-old explains some of the reasons for her recent panic attacks, including breaking up with her boyfriend, losing all her girlfriends, tensions between her performance-artist mother and her father, and more.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,820,207 books! | Top bar: Always visible