The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart

The Boyfriend List (2005)

by E. Lockhart

Series: Ruby Oliver (1)

English (58)  Tagalog (1)  All languages (59)
I've had the worst cold, and I needed something fun and light to read. I found that in "The Boyfriend List" which I read in one sitting.

Ruby's story is very refreshing because it's so realistic. As an only child that tended to over analyze and then become very sensitive to the people around me, I felt that I had similar experiences in high school that Ruby experienced.

Overall, I'm so impressed with E. Lockhart's writing style. It's funny, witty, and poignant. I work with high school students and understand why high school feels like their whole world because it is. It's hard to explain that soon they will see that the world is so much bigger than their small high school. ( )
  megmo07 | Sep 27, 2013 |
15-year-old Ruby Oliver understandably starts having panic attacks when her first real boyfriend dumps her for her best friend and her other three best friends stop talking to her (in spectacular, public, and dramatic fashion, of course), all within a relatively short period of time. Her parents start taking her to a therapist, Dr. Z., who tells Ruby to make a "boyfriend list", a list of every guy who Ruby has ever had any sort (real, imagined, less-than-24-hour, or slightly longer) of relationship with at all. Told from Ruby's point of view, readers hear the blow-by-blow account of each and every boy, from the one she used to play in the splashy pool with when she was four (Adam, the mermaid) to the one who dumped her out of the blue and mere days later was discovered at a party, stark naked with her former best friend (Jackson, the actual boyfriend...not that Ruby was at the party, mind you, but an oh-so-helpful acqaintence gave her a detailed description of the event after). An entertaining look at one girl's journey to self-discovery that leaves readers wanting more--which is good, since it's the start to a series! ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 20, 2013 |
Re-read.

I adored this book. I really enjoy Lockhart's breezy writing style, and I completely identified with Ruby, the protagonist. The characters are believable, the plotting leisurely but engrossing, and the writing matches Ruby's style exactly. ( )
  satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |
5/6/2009:

Stayed up late reading this book because I'm a masochist... But it was really cute. I think I liked it even more this time around! And now the sequel is out, so I get to see what happens next. If I had to pick one of the guys (below) for her, I'd go with Noel or Angelo. My next choice would be Finn, then Shiv... But we'll see. I completely forgot that the book Ruby and her friends kept and wrote their ideas about boys was called [b:The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them|516182|The Boy Book A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, Book 2)|E. Lockhart|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1175457733s/516182.jpg|504124], which is the name of the sequel... hence the link....

5/5/2009:

I loved this book, back in the day, and I think I blogged about it back then. I'll see if I can find what I wrote... Ahh... Here we go:

From my blog on 7/3/2006:

You know what, I’m going to let Ruby tell you what’s up with this book. Here are the introductory paragraphs:

Here it is, the Boyfriend List. In chronological order.

1. Adam (but he doesn’t count.)
2. Finn (but people just thought so.)
3. Hutch (but I’d rather not think about it.)
4. Gideon (but it was just from afar.)
5. Ben (but he didn’t know.)
6. Tommy (but it was impossible.)
7. Chase (but it was all in his mind.)
8. Sky (but he had someone else.)
9. Michael (but I so didn’t want to.)
10. Angelo (but it was just one date.)
11. Shiv (but it was just one kiss.)
12. Billy (but he didn’t call.)
13. Jackson (yes, okay, he was my boyfriend. Don’t ask me any more about it.)
14. Noel (but it was just a rumor.)
15. Cabbie (but I’m undecided.)

Before anyone reading this thinks to call me a slut–or even imagines I’m incredibly popular–let me point out that this list includes absolutely every single boy I have ever had the slightest any-kind-of-anything with.

Boys I have never kissed are on this list.

Boys I never even talked to are on this list.
Doctor Z told me not to leave anyone off. Not even if I think he’s important.

In fact, especially if I think he’s unimportant.

Doctor Z is my shrink, and she says that for the purposes of this list, the boyfriends don’t have to be official. Official, unofficial–she says it doesn’t matter, so long as I remember the boy and something about what happened.So, how this book is set up is that there are 15 chapters–one for each of the guys. She tells what happened with that guy, and woven into these stories are the story of what's going on with her to cause her to need to be at the shrink's office in the first place--why she's having panic attacks at all.

The book didn’t really end like I would have written it (with a super-mushy ending). Ruby didn’t even end up with ANY of the 15 guys!!! BUT there is a sequel, so perhaps it will all come together. It’s a good book though--very interesting--makes me want to make a list too... except that it would be TRÈS long (as I am much older than Ruby). It would start with Byron... and end with Jason, my husband..... with a whole bunch of guys in the middle... :) ( )
  saraferrell | Apr 3, 2013 |
gah, this book stressed me OUT. however, it did make me reevaluate some past relationships. yay?
oH WAIT! extra star for footnotes!! ( )
  JenneB | Apr 2, 2013 |

E. Lockhartprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carlino, AngelaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Siegfried, MandyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For my dear old high school friends, who were (and still are) excellent and hilarious-and who never did anything like the bad stuff people do in this book

Ruby Oliver is a teenage girl who is in high school. She is the only child and her parents worry about her a lot. All of her friends are rich. She lives in a boat house type of thing.

She has a lot of stress because she broke up with her boyfriend and all her friends are mad at her. All of a sudden she got a panic attack while eating dinner with her mom and dad. Her parents where arguing while she was having the panic attack and she got even more mad. Her mom got nervous because they have a friend who has panic attacks and he never comes out of his apartment. Thats when she meets her therapist Dr.Z

(third summary, Liliana) Ruby had a crush on her friends brother but nothing ever happened. She wrote Ruby loves GVD for Gideon Van Duesen on her shoe. Her friend Nora saw it and she freaked out because it was her older brother. She had promised Ruby she wouldn't tell Gideon but someone did and he asked her if he could see. She got shy and said no but then he tackled her down in the grass and saw. He didn't get bothered by it, in fact he thought it was sweet and said he rather have had her write it than any other of Nora's friend.

As Ruby talks about other boys and what happened with them she seems to remember everything about Jackson(her actual boyfriend). She remembers the first time they went on a date to a hamburger hangout place for juniors and seniors. She remembers when his ex-girlfriend called him and she happened to pick up. And she just remembers how good he made her felt and now wishes they were back together.

(3rd summary Martha)
well right now ruby is talking about Tommy hazard. he was her and her best friend Kimmy imaginary boyfriend. he was the perfect guy for both of them. but for ruby her Tommy changed through out the years while Kimmy's stayed the same. and they always compared Tommy to the real life guys or boyfriends they had. but for some reason they would never stand up to Tommy's standard. they would call them the right now not the right one. and in the book it was time for Halloween. where ruby and her class went to the boys and girls club to volunteer in a Halloween party for the kids. there she meet Finn who was Kimmy's boyfriend. through out the night ruby and Finn hit it of. also because they were wearing kinda the same outfit. she was wearing a kitty costume while Finn was wearing a "panther" which looked like a kitty to ruby. for some reason Kimmy got kinda mad or jealous. which brought it down for her to get into a fight with her boyfriend Finn. when this was happening ruby's parents were going to a Halloweens party. but her mom didn't know what to wear. but his dad did not want to wear what her mom wanted them to wear. they wanted to wear a taco. her being the filling of the taco and him being the shell.

(fourth summary Liliana) The list has moved on to Tommy Hazard. Tommy Hazard has it all. He is prince charming for ruby and her best friend kim. He like the both girls but they don't seem to care. Tommy spends every moment he can with ruby or kim or even both at times. This Tommy character is an imaginary boy that ruby and kim have made up. They made him up because they wish a special boy like Tommy would come into there life.

Tommy changes over time for Ruby. Sometimes he is a california blonde surfer. Other times he's this quiet boy that ruby talks to. For kim he's always been the same. Clean cut guy that's always there for her. He was the one kim went to when she would break up with her boyfriends.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0385732074, Paperback)

E. Lockhart’s spot-on dialogue and descriptions of painfully but hilariously relatable situations make this young adult novel an addictive read.

Fifteen-year-old Ruby has had a rough ten days. During that time she:

* lost her boyfriend (#13 on the list)
   * lost her best friend (Kim)
   * lost all her other friends (Nora, Cricket)
   * did something suspicious with a boy (#10)
   * did something advanced with a boy (#15)
   * had an argument with a boy (#14)
   * had a panic attack
   * lost a lacrosse game (she's the goalie)
   * failed a math test (she'll make it up)
   * hurt Meghan's feelings (even though they aren't really friends)
   * became a social outcast (no one to sit with at lunch)
   * had graffiti written about her in the girls' bathroom (who knows what was in the
   boys'!?!)

But don't worry—Ruby lives to tell the tale. And make more lists.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:27:25 -0400)

A Seattle fifteen-year-old explains some of the reasons for her recent panic attacks, including breaking up with her boyfriend, losing all her girlfriends, tensions between her performance-artist mother and her father, and more.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,611,021 books! | Top bar: Always visible