You Belong To Me by Mary Higgins Clark

You Belong To Me (original 1998; edition 1998)

by Mary Higgins Clark

Member:amsparky
Title:You Belong To Me
Authors:Mary Higgins Clark
Info:Simon & Schuster Audio (1998), Edition: Abridged, Audio Cassette
Tags:mooching away

You Belong to Me by Mary Higgins Clark (1998)

English (9)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (1)  All languages (12)
NIL
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
Incredibly simplistic plot line and very predictable ending. The red herrings were too overtly obvious and that only left one male character as the killer. I used to enjoy her books, but do not think I will read another one. It was long and not very interesting. The strong female main character was really the only interesting part of the novel. ( )
1 vote monana79 | Nov 11, 2010 |
You Belong to Me was my first Mary Higgins Clark. She's such a popular and prolific author, I had put off reading her books. I was afraid I wouldn't like them, but what I should have been afraid of was enjoying them. You Belong to Me was an exciting, suspenseful read that made me regret not reading Clark's books earlier.

Susan is a former assistant district attorney turned psychologist and radio host. When she inquires on-air about a missing woman she sets off a murderous chain reaction she never could have predicted. I cared about what happened to Susan, but I also questioned her often. I couldn't understand why she wouldn't follow certain obvious - to me at least - leads. She had a lot of stuff going on, personally and professionally, so ultimately it could have been a realistic portrayal of things slipping through the cracks unnoticed.

Each page of You Belong to Me drew me in further than the last. I could not put this book down. It could be a little repetitive at time, going over certain things two or three different times, but I was so wrapped up in the story I barely cared.

I was in awe of the storytelling in throughout the entire book. I highly enjoyed the way the book was written and that actually stopped my progress on a few occasions. Clark took the full advantage of what writing for print has to offer and exercised freedom that visual media can't compete with. She was able to show the story from multiple perspectives, including the killer's. She showed the actions and thoughts of all the suspects and the killer without letting on which suspect was the killer. You were in the killers head, seeing what he saw and yet couldn't tell which man was guilty or innocent. It was an amazing experience. ( )
  TequilaReader | Jun 16, 2010 |
This was your usual MHC fare. By halfway through the book I was pretty certain which guy was the bad guy and which ones were just red herrings. Though I was a bit sad that the bad guy was who he was, because I liked the character. ( )
  miyurose | Dec 13, 2008 |
You belong to Me by Mary Higgins Clark is about Dr. Susan Chandler who is a clinical psychologist and also has a slot called Ask Dr Susan on a popular radio station. On one of these shows Susan has a guest: Dr Donald Richards who has lost his wife and written a book called Vanishing Women and this discussion finds them talking about Regina a lady who disappeared off a cruise ship; this leads to another lady, Carolyn, who calls into the show and states she had befriended a man on a cruise ship. Following on from this call she states she will send Susan the ring this man gave her with the inscription; “You Belong To Me” and also a photo. Before this can happen she is run over by a van and ends up in a coma in hospital. Death then follows death in this fast paced novel.

I did enjoy this novel to a degree and it was a very quick read and had me wanting to know what was going to happen next. It tries to confuse you over who was the really bad guy, but I think most people will see who he is quite quickly. Even though I enjoyed the thriller I found a problem with the characters in the book, as they all appeared very flat, cold and dull and I couldn’t warm to any of them. It isn’t one of my favorite thrillers, but if you find it on your TBR pile it’s good for a quick read.

Review here:
http://bookannelid.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/you-belong-to-me-by-mary-higgins-cla... ( )
1 vote loopyloo100 | Jul 31, 2008 |
Robert and Ashley Lanzara,
Lauren, Megan, Kelly and John Conheeney,
David, Courtney and Thomas Tarleton
With love
He had played this same game before and had anticipated this time out it would be something of a letdown.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0671004549, Mass Market Paperback)

Much like the real-life Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Dr. Susan Chandler, the star of You Belong to Me, is a clinical psychologist who hosts a call-in radio show. She's bright, sharp-tongued, and even has "shoulder-length dark blonde hair." Fortunately for Dr. Laura, the similarities end there. During an episode of Ask Dr. Susan, Chandler unwittingly gets herself tangled in the web of a dangerous serial killer. It begins innocently enough when Chandler invites Dr. Donald Richards, a criminologist/psychiatrist/author to talk about his book, Vanishing Women and the plight of lonely women who are preyed upon by calculating killers. Chandler is particularly interested in the disappearance of woman named Regina Clausen, a high-profile investment advisor who vanished on a luxury cruise. Chandler feels indebted to Clausen--an investing tip she offered on CNBC turned a modest birthday check into a "bonanza"--so the good doctor uses her radio forum to help crack the case. Sure enough, during the last moments of the show, a nervous, married woman who goes by the name "Karen" calls in with invaluable clues. Apparently, she was almost a victim and can identify the murderer, but is frightened to come forward because of an insanely jealous husband. As Dr. Susan pursues her timid witness and digs deeper into the case, she realizes a hair too late that she is also one of the hunted. The fast-moving story line and easily digestible plot of You Belong to Me is vintage Mary Higgins Clark. --Rebekah Warren

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:17:35 -0400)

A beautiful and dedicated young psychoanalyst is terrified to discover that her beloved sister is determined to marry one of the doctor's former patients, a man who conceals a dangerously jealous, obsessive nature, as well as a pattern of abuse, behind his charming and wealthy facade.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,053,156 books! | Top bar: Always visible