Upstream by Melissa Lion

Upstream

by Melissa Lion

Like the salmon that struggle upstream to get to their birthplace, Marty pushes through her grief after losing her boyfriend in an accident. Her family and the solid Alaska wilderness keep her grounded and in the world as she finds her way to a measure of peace and acceptance. Quiet but powerful; clean writing doesn't waste words. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
I wouldn't recommend this book to other people, I just couldn't follow it. I don't always follow along well in books, but this one was especially difficult for me to follow. 1Q1P The cover art is okay and I'd recommend this to middle and high school students. I chose to read this because the cover caught my eye. I noticed that the water on the cover burred the background and I wanted to figure out while. PeytonL
  edspicer | Dec 30, 2014 |

Marty’s small town in Alaska is the most beautiful place in the world. There she and her beloved boyfriend, Steven, can walk through fields of fireweed, explore the wild, and tie pink floozy fishing lures to catch the salmon that swim upstream. But when she starts her senior year, Marty must return to school by herself. Without Steven. Something happened during the summer that changed things forever.

It’s a small town and people are starting to talk; Marty can feel their stares and hear their whispers. But they weren’t there and they don’t know. Only Marty knows what really happened, and it’s something she must never, ever tell.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:01 -0400)

After her boyfriend is killed in a hunting accident, Alaska high-school-senior Marty, with help from her mother and two younger sisters, tries to get over her grief and begin a new life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,616,031 books! | Top bar: Always visible