When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park

When My Name Was Keoko (2002)

by Linda Sue Park

For a chapter children’s book I did not enjoy this book very much. While it did give the Korean perspective of their struggles during World War II the book was very drawn out and dry. One thing I did like about the book was that it came from the perspective of a young girl and then of her older brother. I liked this because for students who get bored easily it switches up the opinions and point of views making the book more interesting then just being told from one perspective. ( )
  kwiggi3 | May 5, 2014 |
I thought this was a good book. I liked how the book was written in the siblings different points of view. This allows the reader to be able to see the different sides of the story. I also really enjoyed the informative aspect of the book. I really learned a lot about the Korean and Japanese during this time period. I think the big message of this story is that family is very important. ( )
  kbrowe2 | Apr 29, 2014 |
I enjoyed reading this chapter book. One aspect I enjoyed about this book was the fact that it is about an underrepresented event in history. While I read this story, I was learning about this conflict between Korea and Japan for the first time. I found it truly incredible to be able to learn so much about this event through a primary narrative text. Also, I enjoyed the fact that the story was told from both the brother’s and sister’s perspectives. It was very interesting to see how boys and girls at this time had very different views on the same ideas. The main message of this book is that family is very valuable and something we should hold near and dear to our hearts. ( )
  kjacob9 | Apr 7, 2014 |
“When My Name Was Keoko” was not one of my favorite books because of the plot. The reasoning behind this for me was there wasn’t much suspense throughout it at least not at the begging which for me, as a reader is very important. I need something to grab me and keep me interested. This didn’t happen till I was almost to the middle when the uncle was leaving. There also wasn’t much of an internal conflict with the main two characters most of the conflict was external. For me as a reader I like to see the character face a personal struggle. I will however say that the writing style was very engaging in the way that the author switched perspectives and when we assumed that the brother was dead his perspective all together disappeared from the book. I would say that the main point of this book is that over time horrible things come to and end but don’t forget to stand for what you believe in. ( )
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 11, 2014 |
In my opinion this was a great book that held my attention throughout the reading. I liked this book because it offered two different perspectives. The first perspective was Keko the sister, who is also know as Sun-hee, and the other prospective was her brother Tae-yul. Each chapter alternates between the two perspectives. I liked this feature, because it is almost like two different stories in one. Another feature I like about this book was how it offered insight into the Korean culture and provided examples, such as the meanings of names in Korea, and samples of the writings the children has to learn in school. The main idea of this book was to offer insight on the Korean perspective during WWII. ( )
  CassandraQuigley | Mar 10, 2014 |
To my children: Sean and Anna

and for my parents:
Eung Won/Nobuo/Ed
Joung Sook/Keoko/Susie
"It's only a rumor," Abuji said as I cleared the table.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419441, Paperback)

Inspired by her own family's stories of living in South Korea during the Japanese occupation in the years preceding World War II, Newbery Medal-winning author Linda Sue Park chronicles the compelling story of two siblings, 10-year-old Sun-hee and 13-year-old Tae-yul, and their battle to maintain their identity and dignity during one of Korea's most difficult and turbulent times. In alternating first-person chapters, they relate their family's troubles under the strict fascist regime. The Kim family is stripped of their cultural symbols, only permitted to learn Japanese history and language, and forced to convert their names to Japanese. Sun-hee, now Keoko, struggles to reconcile her Korean home life with her Japanese school and friends, while Tae-yul, now Nobuo, attempts to convert his growing anger into a more positive passion for flight and airplanes. Both are worried for their uncle, whom they discover is printing an underground Korean resistance paper. When Sun-hee inadvertently puts her uncle's life in danger, she sets in motion a chain of events that results in her brother volunteering as a pilot for the Japanese near the end of WWII. While Sun-hee and her parents wait in breathless uncertainty to hear from Tae-yul, the war rushes to a close, leaving Korea's destiny hanging in the balance. This well-researched historical novel is accompanied by a thoughtful author's note that explains what happened to Korea and families like the Kims after WWII and a bibliography to entice interested young readers into learning more about a topic largely unknown to American audiences. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:48:36 -0400)

With national pride and occasional fear, a brother and sister face the increasingly oppressive occupation of Korea by Japan during World War II, which threatens to suppress Korean culture entirely.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,697,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible