When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park

When My Name Was Keoko (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Linda Sue Park, Norm Lee (Narrator), Jenny Ikeda (Narrator)

Member:Mstear1
Title:When My Name Was Keoko
Authors:Linda Sue Park
Other authors:Norm Lee (Narrator), Jenny Ikeda (Narrator)
Info:Recorded Books (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Collections:5th-6th Grade Readers, 3rd-4th Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, International Books, Historical Fiction, Chapter Books, Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Japanese, Korea, WWII, family

When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park (2002)

It was sad. It talked about how when there's war it dictates your life. You don't make decisions for yourself anymore. You do what your told because your life is @ stake. ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
I really enjoyed When My Name Was Keoko. This book had a very interesting plot and was really eye opening. The language in this book was very descriptive and gave a good depiction of what times were like during World War 2. I think the book did a good job at showing all the details/ specific hard times they went through. This book was told from a first person point of view which I find to be crucial for a story like this or else it starts to be more factual and you loose the emotion. It was told by 2 different narrators, alternating chapters. I really enjoyed this book and feel that the main message was just to show how hard times were and that you can over come it. ( )
  gcarat1 | Nov 14, 2016 |
I had mixed feelings about this book after reading it. I liked this book because of the point of view. The story is told from two siblings point of view. This is interesting because the siblings are very opposite of each other so you are able to see how different people feel about the same topics. For example, Sun-hee was very enthused to learn the Korean alphabet while her brother did not want to at all. However, I did not like that the story has a slow start. Historical fiction books are often times hard for me to get into so the slow start to this story made it hard for me to focus. The story spent a while talking about their daily lives heading up to when the concerns about Sun-hee’s uncle began. I feel that the author should have jumped to more of the action sooner to keep readers intrigued. The main message of the story is about perseverance; the family had to overcome many obstacles in order to live their normal lives again. It also deals with culture and being proud of who you are. ( )
  sbiela1 | Oct 24, 2016 |
`This book is well written and keeps the readers interested. The author does a great job of making it seem real. The books setting is placed during World War II when the Koreans and Japanese were not getting along. Japan was trying to over take Korea. The theme of this book was that Courage gets things done when they need to get done. There is an example of this on page 35 when Sun-hee says "Janpanese names are normally shorter, Korean names are normally longer... I could see someones name being Keoko but not mine." The Koreans point of view is present in this book and it seems they had to give up a lot. This book has a very show start but towards the middle keeps you wanting more. ( )
  pwood3 | Oct 24, 2016 |
I did not enjoy reading When My Name was Keoko. This chapter book is historical fiction, which is a genre that bores me because I usually cannot relate to the content. I did not like the pace of the book. There are chapters that cover a single day, and other chapters that summarize several months. The book itself covers 5 years, without a consistently paced timeline, which made it very hard to follow for me. Especially since the two main characters were coming of age during the book, I had a hard time telling how old they really were without stopping to do the math. Another thing that I did not like about this book was the formatting of the text. Generally, in a chapter book, each new chapter starts a new page. However, in this book each new chapter (point of view switch) started just below where the last chapter ended. This made it difficult for me to find natural stopping points. The "big idea" of this book is to respect your culture. ( )
  AlliyGaither | Oct 3, 2016 |
To my children: Sean and Anna

and for my parents:
Eung Won/Nobuo/Ed
Joung Sook/Keoko/Susie
"It's only a rumor," Abuji said as I cleared the table.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419441, Paperback)

Inspired by her own family's stories of living in South Korea during the Japanese occupation in the years preceding World War II, Newbery Medal-winning author Linda Sue Park chronicles the compelling story of two siblings, 10-year-old Sun-hee and 13-year-old Tae-yul, and their battle to maintain their identity and dignity during one of Korea's most difficult and turbulent times. In alternating first-person chapters, they relate their family's troubles under the strict fascist regime. The Kim family is stripped of their cultural symbols, only permitted to learn Japanese history and language, and forced to convert their names to Japanese. Sun-hee, now Keoko, struggles to reconcile her Korean home life with her Japanese school and friends, while Tae-yul, now Nobuo, attempts to convert his growing anger into a more positive passion for flight and airplanes. Both are worried for their uncle, whom they discover is printing an underground Korean resistance paper. When Sun-hee inadvertently puts her uncle's life in danger, she sets in motion a chain of events that results in her brother volunteering as a pilot for the Japanese near the end of WWII. While Sun-hee and her parents wait in breathless uncertainty to hear from Tae-yul, the war rushes to a close, leaving Korea's destiny hanging in the balance. This well-researched historical novel is accompanied by a thoughtful author's note that explains what happened to Korea and families like the Kims after WWII and a bibliography to entice interested young readers into learning more about a topic largely unknown to American audiences. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

With national pride and occasional fear, a brother and sister face the increasingly oppressive occupation of Korea by Japan during World War II, which threatens to suppress Korean culture entirely.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,643,227 books! | Top bar: Always visible