When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park

When My Name Was Keoko (original 2002; edition 2003)

by Linda Sue Park, Norm Lee (Narrator), Jenny Ikeda (Narrator)

Member:Mstear1
Title:When My Name Was Keoko
Authors:Linda Sue Park
Other authors:Norm Lee (Narrator), Jenny Ikeda (Narrator)
Info:Recorded Books (2003), Edition: Unabridged, Audio Cassette
Collections:5th-6th Grade Readers, 3rd-4th Grade Readers, Multicultural Books, International Books, Historical Fiction, Chapter Books, Your library, Read but unowned
Tags:Japanese, Korea, WWII, family

When My Name Was Keoko by Linda Sue Park (2002)

A good book, I really liked how it was written, and the perspective it took. ( )
  Shadow494 | Jun 20, 2016 |
I liked this book for two reasons. First, two different first-person point of view makes the reading more interesting. In the book, there are two side of stories one from sister sun-hee and from her brother tae-yul. While they are living in same age, they are treated differently only because of their gender. Sun-hee not being told an important issue while their dad told it to tae-yul gives strong impression how boys were more valued back then in Korea. Second, this book pushes readers to think about how it feels like to losing their nationality. Along the story, Japanese makes Korean to lose their language, their history, their words, their flags, their national tree, and even their names. It reminds the readers how cruel the Japanese were and how we should not forget what they have done and how everyone should value their nationalities no matter what. ( )
  ykim31 | Mar 16, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book. It was a quick read, yet it really took a lasting toll on the readers. I saw insight into the life of a Korean girl during a huge war. I found this book to be suspenseful, riveting, and emotional. It is perfect for young readers who are looking for a book with different perspective. It is told in two perspectives, a brother and sister, so it is a good choice for either gender. The main idea of this book is to show readers how life was during the war for a Korean family and what troubles they encountered during their fight for freedom. ( )
  rleary2 | Mar 7, 2016 |
Throughout the book, the author keeps the theme of hope and bravery when a girl named Sun-hee and her family struggle to hold onto their culture during the Japanese invasion of Korea during World War II. In my opinion this book is a must read for both elementary aged school children and adults for three reasons. First, the language of the book is captivating. The author is constantly drawing the reader in and leaving the audience wanting more. For example, when Tae-yul takes off on a deadly mission to be a kamikaze, he goes in with a plan, but we are left hanging on to his last words without knowing what it is. Also, Sun-hee uses beautiful imagery in her poetry to express to the audience her feelings when writing in her diary. For example, when she describes what it feels like to have her words ripped up by the Japanese, is absolutely beautiful. The next reason why this book was a must read is the organization of the book. Because this text is historical fiction it does follows the events of the war accurately, but the way those events affected her family helps guide the readers through their journey. For example, the way Sun-hee’s uncle is such a presence in her life and then is suddenly gone without a trace, really plays into the heat of the war. Without having to say it, the author explains how the bad the war has gotten and how it directly affects those at home. The events that the author has chosen to mention in the book brings the reader through all the lows and highs of the family as they fight to keep their identity. Lastly, the writing the author used keeps the readers well engaged. For example, only knowing what the parents allow them to know about the war is a crucial part of the book. This is because it keeps us as readers guessing and waiting till the end. Will the uncle come back? How did Tae-yul die?
  jhunt6 | Mar 5, 2016 |
In my opinion this is a good historical fiction book to read. The main idea of the story is when times get rough, family is important to lean on. First, the plot of the story was very engaging, and I felt eager to continue reading each chapter. For example, when Sun-Hee had received a letter from her older brother, Tae-yul about how he would be going on a suicide mission for the Japanese military. At that time, I thought her brother was gone for, until he showed up at the their home in Korea and surprised his whole family. Next, I really enjoyed the writing of the story. This chapter was very different from other chapters I have previously read. Each chapter was told from either Sun-Hee's or Tae-yul's point of view. I liked that the author incorporated this into the book because it let the reader understand how a young girl and a young boy feel during the 1940's in Korea. For example, Sun-Hee is a young girl growing up in South Korea who was taught to listen rather than speak. Whereas, Tae-Yul was an older brother in the household that was able to talk and be apart of family discussions. Lastly, I liked the boy because it pushes the reader to think about tough issues. The story takes place during a time in South Korea where the country was ruled by the Japanese. I had previously learned in History class about WWII, but never went into depth about Japan's control over Korea. This book allows readers to take a journey through Korean history and think about the tough issues that young Korean children had to go through. For example. Korean students were forced to learn the Japanese language and history, but were unable to learn their home language in school. ( )
  ahenri7 | Mar 4, 2016 |
To my children: Sean and Anna

and for my parents:
Eung Won/Nobuo/Ed
Joung Sook/Keoko/Susie
"It's only a rumor," Abuji said as I cleared the table.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0440419441, Paperback)

Inspired by her own family's stories of living in South Korea during the Japanese occupation in the years preceding World War II, Newbery Medal-winning author Linda Sue Park chronicles the compelling story of two siblings, 10-year-old Sun-hee and 13-year-old Tae-yul, and their battle to maintain their identity and dignity during one of Korea's most difficult and turbulent times. In alternating first-person chapters, they relate their family's troubles under the strict fascist regime. The Kim family is stripped of their cultural symbols, only permitted to learn Japanese history and language, and forced to convert their names to Japanese. Sun-hee, now Keoko, struggles to reconcile her Korean home life with her Japanese school and friends, while Tae-yul, now Nobuo, attempts to convert his growing anger into a more positive passion for flight and airplanes. Both are worried for their uncle, whom they discover is printing an underground Korean resistance paper. When Sun-hee inadvertently puts her uncle's life in danger, she sets in motion a chain of events that results in her brother volunteering as a pilot for the Japanese near the end of WWII. While Sun-hee and her parents wait in breathless uncertainty to hear from Tae-yul, the war rushes to a close, leaving Korea's destiny hanging in the balance. This well-researched historical novel is accompanied by a thoughtful author's note that explains what happened to Korea and families like the Kims after WWII and a bibliography to entice interested young readers into learning more about a topic largely unknown to American audiences. (Ages 10 to 14) --Jennifer Hubert

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:36 -0400)

With national pride and occasional fear, a brother and sister face the increasingly oppressive occupation of Korea by Japan during World War II, which threatens to suppress Korean culture entirely.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,475,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible