Innocence by Kathleen Tessaro

Innocence (original 2005; edition 2005)

by Kathleen Tessaro

Member:agneson9
Title:Innocence
Authors:Kathleen Tessaro
Info:London : HarperCollins, 2005.
Collections:Your library, Unfinished
Rating:***
Tags:grp-fiction, for-adult, grp-gen

Innocence by Kathleen Tessaro (2005)

Over the top in exactly the right ways... kept me up well past when I should have gone to sleep. ( )
  akaGingerK | Sep 30, 2018 |
Della Tessaro ho adorato Elegance, al punto da ridurlo più volte ai minimi termini per tutte le volte che l'ho riletto...
Questo non ha niente a che vedere con l'ironia di "Zucchetta", anzi, è una storia triste e complessa. Anche qui, l'autrice alterna il racconto dal tempo dei ricordi ad un tempo presente dove questi stessi ricordi in qualche modo sono ancora vivi.
La ricerca della felicità e di un obiettivo da raggiungere è resa ancor più ardua dagli scherzi della vita: Evie è, nonostante tutto, una donna forte e il finale vedo/non vedo è perfetto.
Speravo di sorridere di più, ma è questa l'unica delusione: tre stelle di cuore. ( )
  LaPizia | Aug 3, 2017 |
This review originally appeared at http://bellesbookshelf.blogspot.com

I was excited to read this book, but sadly it fell a little flat for me.

A friend lent it to me because we share a mutual love of love stories, and after I made her read If I Stay (and she adored it), she insisted I'd love this one. The story definitely intrigued me - switching between timelines, it tells the tale of Evie as she is at 18 and at 33. At 18, she dreams of being an actress, is best friends with the larger-than-life Robbie and swept up in a passionate affair with wannabe rock star Jake. At 33, she's living in a sharehouse as a single mum, teaching acting classes for amateurs at night and being haunted by the now-dead Robbie. How she went from one to the other is slowly revealed and it's this that kept me reading. I had no problems with the plot, really - but the characters drove me bonkers.

I had high hopes of falling for Jake and being swept away with passion myself, so I was very disappointed to find him extremely unattractive. Oh, sure, he's sexy - but he's also douchebag drug dealer/manipulative asshat (side note: can you tell I'm currently reading City of Bones?). He raves on about how Evie's everything to him, but that's clearly not true. He cares more about drugs, music and himself, because that's what he chooses over her time and again. I would even say his relationship with Evie is emotionally abusive; it's not her he loves, it's how she makes him feel and the power he has over her. Even their first sexual encounter (and the only one detailed in the book) seems less about passion and more about what he can do to her and get her to do to him.

All of this made Evie's obsession with Jake extremely frustrating; even 15 years later, she's no longer with him but he's still haunting her - perhaps even more so than the actual ghost in her life. She's floundering and clearly extremely unhappy, with her scraps of unmet dreams and lost love piled up in a box under the bed. Hence the haunting; Robbie comes along with the message to not waste life because you never know when it will end. At least, I think that was why she was there. It's never firmly established; in fact, the haunting takes a backseat to a bunch of other things so much that each time Robbie pops up, I was like, "oh, that's right, this is a ghost story." In the end, all Robbie proved to me was what a horrible friend Evie was, making me like her even less.

Robbie herself is a colourful character, which is one of the reasons I would've liked to see more of her - dead or alive. There were some other secondary characters that I also enjoyed - namely pretty much all of the people Evie lives with as an adult. Piotr the pianist especially caught my heart; from the moment he was introduced I found him so much more attractive than icky Jake. But he wasn't in it enough to make up for the horrible relationship that dominates the majority of the book. To me, Innocence was not a story about love, or even about ghosts, but about the damage we can inflict on others. Not quite the bubbly chick lit I was hoping for. ( )
  Bookish_Belle | Aug 26, 2011 |
Innocence is for all those who gave up on the big dream, but still love their life. The book brings you into the lives of dreamers. Big on character development but, a light enough read to take to the pool, Ms. Tessaro captures you with her attention to detail, yet good pacing. I would have given the book 4-stars if it hadn't included a visit from a "supernatural being". That part of the book seemed contrived and I believe the issues brought forward in those scenes could have been dealt with better in a different manner. ( )
  sunnydrk | Jul 30, 2011 |
Innocence by Kathleen Tessaro is a book about a woman who once dreamed of being an actress but is teaching acting to amateurs instead. In the book, the reader learns how Evie went from the hopeful, aspiring young woman to the disappointed, struggling adult. I categorised the book as chick-lit, but I think it is actually a bit more than that. Innocence has more than one layer, and its characters develop more than in the average chick-lit book. I recommend this book if you are looking for a light read with a bit of depth. ( )
  SimoneA | Mar 21, 2011 |
For my family
The first thing you should know about Robbie is that she's dead.

From Kathleen Tessaro, author of the acclaimed international bestseller Elegance, comes a poignant, funny, and utterly remarkable story of real life, real love, and fantasy -- and the changes they put you through. Following a dream can lead to unexpected places. . . .

It is 1986, and eighteen-year-old aspiring actress Evie leaves Eden, Ohio, to study theater in London, England. Almost immediately she falls in with new female chums Imogen (born-again Laura Ashley poster child, frustrated virgin) and Robbie (gorgeous wild-child bohemian, far from virginal). The world is thrilling and new, and anything is possible . . . until love intervenes.

It is 2001, and Evie's a single mother teaching drama to night students. Robbie is dead, killed in a car accident. And Evie is doing her level best to forget the past, the lost opportunities, and the dreams that exploded . . . until an old friendship comes back to haunt her.

Literally.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:12 -0400)

From the author of 'Elegance' comes the story of Evie heading for London to study acting. She's determined to make her mark both on stage and off. But Jake Albery, a struggling rock musician, changes everything. Fourteen years later and Evie is stuck. Then a friendship from the past comes back to haunt her.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,681,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible