My Inventions: The Autobiography of Nikola…

My Inventions: The Autobiography of Nikola Tesla

by Nikola Tesla

203357,794 (3.73)1
    The Invention of Everything Else by Samantha Hunt (Imprinted)
    Imprinted: A novel about Nikola Tesla — visionary genius and inventor of AC electricity and wireless communication — eking out his last days at the rundown Hotel New Yorker.

This is a book I read because my husband love Nikola Tesla and we are reading a book of his papers together and I wanted to know more about him. Tesla was born in in the village of Smiljan, Vojna Krajina, in the territory of today's Croatia. By birth he was an ethnic Serb, a subject of the Austrian Empire and later in life became an American Citizen. He was a genius inventor and mechanical and electrical engineer. He is frequently cited as one of the most important contributors to the birth of commercial electricity, a man who "shed light over the face of Earth," and is best known for his many revolutionary developments in the field of electricity and magnetism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Tesla's patents and theoretical work formed the basis of modern alternating current (AC) electric power systems, including the polyphase power distribution systems and the AC motor, with which he helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution. Tesla was widely respected as one of the greatest electrical engineers who worked in America. Much of his early work pioneered modern electrical engineering and many of his discoveries were of groundbreaking importance. But due to his eccentric personality and his seemingly unbelievable and sometimes bizarre claims about possible scientific and technological developments, Tesla was ultimately ostracized and regarded as a mad scientist. He died impoverished at the age of 86.
Tesla lead an amazing life, in some ways it almost reads like fiction. The diseases he survived and the work he did, but it wasn't, it was true. Some of the book was hard to follow, his mind jumps at light speed. And I won't lie the science was hard for me to follow sometimes. But I think I got the general gist of it all, it will make discussions with my husband easier for sure. Tesla seems to be both a man with great intelligence and great compassion. His desire to improve the world through his inventions is inspiring. I now understand why my husband admire him so much.
For additional reviews please see my blog at www.adventuresofabibliophile.blogspot.com
  Serinde24 | Sep 27, 2015 |
Very interesting autobiography. Tesla created the hardware for wireless transmission in 1892 and by 1900, he had designs for GPS, wireless communication, the Internet, drones, and a wireless power system with less than 15% degradation.

He offered the entire package to the US Government with the expectation the government would do the right thing for humanity. Tesla was wrong. The US Gov dismissed Tesla's plans, instead choosing to go with the K Street Man of the Times, lobbyist Alexander Graham Bell. Bell singlehandedly set the United States back a hundred years by advising the US to dismiss Tesla's work.

Tesla's book shows his original ideas came from his youth. Humility aside, Tesla's plans are now the blueprint for the 21st century. He understood the Big Picture. 4 1/2 stars. ( )
  terrybanker | Feb 17, 2015 |
Nikola Tesla's autobiography, originally published in a series of magazines, is an amazing and intensely interesting look at one of the greatest geniuses of the modern age. And that's coming from someone who generally hates non-fiction - this is a great read no matter your interests. ( )
1 vote tankexmortis | Oct 28, 2006 |

Tesla's autobiography, originally printed as a series of six magazine articles in The Electrical Experimenter magazine. Complete with all original plus 6 additional illustrations.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:19 -0400)

Serbian inventor Nikola Tesla was a revolutionary scientist whose greatest invention, A/C current, powers almost all of the technological wonders in the world today.

200 wanted1 free

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,878,748 books! | Top bar: Always visible