A Bargain in Silver (Solis Invicti) (Volume…

A Bargain in Silver (Solis Invicti) (Volume 1) (edition 2017)

by Josie Jaffrey (Author)

1321,046,280 (4.25)None
Member:Terrell_Sanzone
Title:A Bargain in Silver (Solis Invicti) (Volume 1)
Authors:Josie Jaffrey (Author)
Info:CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (2017), Edition: 2, 368 pages

A Bargain in Silver (Solis Invicti) (Volume 1) by Josie Jaffrey

Disclaimer: I received this book for free from LibraryThing in return for an honest review.

Overnight the world as Emilia, better known as Emmy, knows it changes. A virus that turns humans into mindless hungry zombie like creatures is threatening to wipe out humanity. Which is where the Silvers come in. The Silvers are a vampiric race that offers humans protection in return for blood and service. But Emmy is not one to give up her freedom without a fight. Emmy finds herself drawn to two of the most powerful Silvers. As her connection with these two increases Emmy finds herself drawn into a political battle that might just cost her life.

Overall I really enjoyed this book. It sucks the reader in right away. I did find it a little slow at times but that is because it need to take time to explain our character's world. Also found Emmy to be slightly annoying but towards the end I felt I began to understand her more. I cannot wait to read the next book in the series! ( )
  RebeccaLMello | Aug 3, 2018 |
Emilia resists the change with her being. Somehow in her attempt to escape the rule of the Silvers, she finds herself more tangled in their world. Her resistance has drawn her closer to the most elite of the Silver. Now Emmy has to decide where to take her chances: the Weepers who she knows will kill her or the Silver who include a few who have targeted her for reasons she can’t explain.

Bargain in Silver, Solis Invicti Book 1 by Josie Jaffrey is a spell bounding young adult fiction with a cliffhanger that will have you thirsty for Book 2.

What Did Work: Bargain in Silver does not let down in the use of the old in a new way. Jaffrey takes vampires and uses them to construct a new world for the characters. To begin the word vampire is rarely used in the story though Emmy does so in an almost further means to rebel. They are Silver in respects to their most identifying feature, their eyes. Silvers are strong, fast, beautiful creatures with unlimited resources and some with an entitled mentality. None of these characteristics are new, but Jaffrey uses these old favorites to create a world out of London in a setting that transpires into something new and interesting. Speed that can kill? How about speed that can build a city out of decimation in a day?
Love triangles are the bread and butter of young adult novels and Jaffrey does not let down. Can a love triangle develop when blood, murder, and curiosity is hanging in the face of a person who refuses to accept the new status quo? Emmy will infuriate you with her decision making and Jaffrey teases the reader relentlessly only showing two sides of the triangle. But I will not spoil!

Get this book, some wine, and a few friends and you have a steamy book club talking about eyes, touching, and space in ways I never thought to imagine for vampires.

What Didn’t Work: Though the story is moderately paced and not of exhausting length, the tale seems longer as we continue to listen to Emmy mentally pine over the death of her friends and question everything around her. Resistance is her main attribute, but so much time is spent going over “the betrayal” she feels from Drew that it makes you want to scream “get over it and look at what is going on in front of you” into the pages of the book. And while Emmy’s train of thought seems to be stagnant sometimes, other characters emotions move at whiplash speed or in circumstances that made me wonder how a race of people who can see and do so much also miss so much. So no one thought to warn Emmy about that person only pretending to like humans? How was that missed? The humans are not much better than the Silver. From friends who get angry at nothing to strangers who harbor resentment, some of the characters seem bipolar and cause a stark contrast to the main character.

Still, this book was a great read and enjoyed it. Rec this book to paranormal romance type fans. ( )
  ByChallaF | Dec 19, 2017 |
Bloody Brilliant. Are the next books ready yet?! What a great story, couldn't put it down.
added by ADavidson17 | editA

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Josie Jaffrey's book A Bargain in Silver was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,400,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible