Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and…

Tamar: A Novel of Espionage, Passion, and Betrayal (2005)

by Mal Peet

Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein (faither)
    Postcards from No Man's Land by Aidan Chambers (avatiakh)
    After Long Silence by Helen Fremont (becbart)
    becbart: Helen Fremont grew up believing that her parents were ardent Catholics when in fact they were Polish Jews who had survived the Holocaust and totally reinvented themselves in post-war America. A moving memoir of how Fremont and her sister pieced together an almost-vanished family history.… (more)

When her grandfather dies, Tamar inherits a box containing a series of clues and coded messages. Out of the past, another Tamar emerges, a man involved in the terrifying world of resistance fighters in Nazi-occupied Holland half a century before. His story is one of passionate love, jealousy, and tragedy set against the daily fear and casual horror of the Second World War -- and unraveling it is about to transform Tamar’s life forever.
The above is the summary provided by Goodreads.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
A Dutch resistance fighter trained by a branch of the British Secret Services, after surviving the starving winter of 1944-45 in Holland, moves to England and marries. They raise their son, and watch their granddaughter, Tamar, grow. At 15, Tamar uses her grandfather’s maps for a road trip.

Both this story and the author’s way of writing it were haunting. Perfectly paced, characterizations well nuanced, setting written with a strong sense of place, showing the awfulness of war, yet without too much graphic horror, this is a very well written YA book that mature audiences can sink their teeth into, as well.

Highly recommended. ( )
1 vote countrylife | Feb 16, 2017 |
Tamar by Mal Peet is a vividly told story that jumps back and forth from WW II to the present. In 1944 two soldiers are dropped into Holland to help organize the Resistance while in 1995 a young woman launches her search to reveal family secrets from the strange clues in a shoebox left for her by her grandfather.

This is a story of love, jealousy and betrayal. I found the love triangle a bit of a stretch, but the details about Holland during this last year of World War II was fascinating. I am not usually a fan of books that follow two timelines but I thought this plot device worked well here and I found myself totally drawn into both stories. The “twist” at the end of the book was certainly no surprise but overall I found this book highly readable.

Tamar is classified as a YA book but I would say it’s definitely for 14+ as the author does not steer away from the brutality of the war. Tamar is a well constructed, multi-layered story that I enjoyed. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Dec 6, 2016 |
This book ties two time periods together in a thrilling story of generations. With an excess of dramatic irony, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole story. The beginning is a bit jerky because the author throws you into the middle of WWII. As the story unfolds, we are transported forward in time to a teenage girl with her own mystery to solve. As the title says: espionage, passion, and betrayal en-capture the audience until the very end. ( )
  Dana.0409 | Apr 21, 2016 |
This book grabbed me from the start and turned out to be an intense read. "Tamar" started strongly, slowed in the middle and gathered pace near the end, although the ending was rather clumsy. It is listed as a YA novel, but I can't imagine it appealing to many young people. The plot is too dark and heavy, and two of the main characters are adult men, English soldiers helping the Dutch resistance. The only teenage character is Tamar, and her narrative is the weakest part of the book.

Throughout the book, Peet gives a bleak insight into life in Holland during the Nazi occupation. It is full of historical detail showing the daily struggles to survive, the risks many individuals took and the physical, mental and emotional turmoil that it had on ordinary people - bringing out the best and worst of human nature, and it is left to the reader to decide who deserves forgiveness. I can see this book being made into a movie one day.
1 vote HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
Mal Peet's second novel is utterly unlike his first, Keeper, save in one respect: the quality of the writing. This sombre and distinguished book is as fine a piece of storytelling as you are likely to read this year.

For Tony Langham and Plym Peters, and in memory of former SOE agent Paul Peters (1924-2003)
In the end, it was her grandfather, William Hyde, who gave the unborn child her name. He was serious about names; he'd had several himself.

Now available - the Carnegie Medal winner comes to the U.S.

From acclaimed British sensation Mal Peet comes a masterful story of adventure, love, secrets, and betrayal in time of war, both past and present.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:57 -0400)

In England in 1995, fifteen-year-old Tamar, grief-stricken by the puzzling death of her beloved grandfather, slowly begins to uncover the secrets of his life in the Dutch resistance during the last year of the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands, and the climactic events that forever cast a shadow on his life and that of his family.… (more)

Candlewick Press

3 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763634883, 0763641219, 0763640638

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,760,214 books! | Top bar: Always visible