The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy…

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (original 1966; edition 1989)

by Dorothy Gilman

Member:BFish
Title:The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax
Authors:Dorothy Gilman
Info:Recorded Books (1989), Audio CD

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (1966)

How have I missed this series? Friends turned me on to it and I am most grateful. Well written and funny, I highly recommend them ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |
This was my first Pollifax book, after reading very good reviews, and having heard of it forever. I was disappointed. I don't like "cute" forced on me, as if I can't decide on my own. And the "cute" would often morph (at least in my head) into really annoying. (I did like Farrell, though.) The plot was just so-so, and, from early on, there was no mystery. I do love a good mystery, but this wasn't one of them. ( )
  afinch11 | Jul 19, 2014 |
Again, I did not want to start another new series but oh Mrs. Pollifax you are quite the woman!

Retired, widowed, grown children and bored so what is a woman to do when she is looking for some excitement? Well join the CIA and become a spy right??!!?? That is exactly what Mrs. Pollifax does; the CIA agent gives her a try, since no one would suspect a little old woman as being a spy but this simple hand off of information turns into something different from what Mrs.Pollifax or the CIA expected.

However this unexpected turn of events shows us that Mrs. Pollifax can take care of herself and she is no one to be messed with. She can also take care of others when things go horribly wrong, I loved her no nonsense attitude and her view of life and her friendship with Farrell and I hope there will be more of him in future books, there are a few characters I will be interested to see if they pop back up in the future. Mrs. Pollifax made me giggle and made me want to read more!

Barbara Rosenblatt narrated the audiobook and as always a fantastic job with many different characters, dialects and accents. You can never go wrong with this narrator.

I really enjoyed this book if you are a fan of Miss Marple or cozy mysteries give this one a try you won’t regret it.

4 Stars ( )
  susiesharp | Jan 20, 2014 |
I just loved this book. I watched the movie years ago, but only got around to reading the book recently. Sure it isn't plausible, but its fun! Mrs. Emily Pollifax is widowed; her children are grown, and she is feeling useless and bored. So she goes to the CIA to get a job as a spy.
This is her first story of misadventure in the spy game. A cozy mystery that is very enjoyable. Now I will have to read the rest of the series! ( )
  TheBoltChick | Nov 12, 2013 |
A trip back to Cold War days. Fun spy novel about an unlikely spy. Barbara Rosenblatt's reading makes it. ( )
  quixoposto | Nov 8, 2013 |

Manchette, MélissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
柳沢由実子Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The nurse walked out of the room, closing the door behind her, and Mrs. Pollifax looked at the doctor and he in turn looked at her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449208281, Mass Market Paperback)

"Mrs. Pollifax is an enchantress."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
Mrs. Virgil (Emily) Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was a widow with grown children. She was tired of attending her Garden Club meetings. She wanted to do something good for her country. So, naturally, she became a CIA agent. This time, the assignment sounds as tasty as a taco. A quick trip to Mexico City is on her agenda. Unfortunately, something goes wrong, and our dear Mrs. Pollifax finds herself embroilied in quite a hot Cold War--and her country's enemies find themsleves entangled with one unbelievably feisty lady.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:17 -0400)

"Mrs. Pollifax is an enchantress." THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW. Mrs. Virgil (Emily) Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was a widow with grown children. She was tired of attending her Garden Club meetings. She wanted to do something good for her country. So, naturally, she became a CIA agent. This time, the assignment sounds as tasty as a taco. A quick trip to Mexico City is on her agenda. Unfortunately, something goes wrong, and our dear Mrs. Pollifax finds herself embroiled in quite a hot Cold War--and her country's enemies find themselves entangled with one unbelievably feisty lady.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,363,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible