The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy…

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (original 1966; edition 1985)

by Dorothy Gilman

Member:reannon
Title:The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax
Authors:Dorothy Gilman
Info:Fawcett (1985), Edition: later printing, Mass Market Paperback, 208 pages
Rating:*****

The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman (1966)

So many Good Read friends have raved about "dear Mrs. Pollifax." I think I read one of the series some time ago, but I decided to read the first one. It was fun! This one explains how she got into the spy business and relates her first adventure. Unrealistic? Yes! Unbelievable? Yes! Fun? Definitely yes! Really a 3.5, and as someone else mentioned in their review, you do learn a lot about the culture/history/geography of the location of her adventure. ( )
  TheresaCIncinnati | Aug 17, 2015 |
I read this book after it was mentioned in an NPR review of books related to travel http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=130191275. It is about a wonderful character, Mrs. Pollifax, who is in her early sixties. Her doctor encourages her to find something to get involved in, to avoid depression, so she volunteers to become a spy, and then her adventures begin and she finds out she can handle many more challenges than she thought she could. The book has lighthearted moments as well as serious and suspenseful ones, and it is also very clean. It is a quick, enjoyable read. I will probably try to read other books in this series. ( )
  AdrienneJS | May 18, 2015 |
It is the first in the series and introduces Mrs Pollifax not only to the reader but to the CIA. It is a very entertaining, light, spy story yet provides lots of information about the political state at the time between America, Russia, China and the Balkans. This was a lot of fun. ( )
  VivienneR | Dec 10, 2014 |
A fun read even if the plot is a bit thin. I could envision Maggie Smith as Mrs. Pollifax! ( )
  hemlokgang | Sep 20, 2014 |
How have I missed this series? Friends turned me on to it and I am most grateful. Well written and funny, I highly recommend them ( )
  morandia | Aug 1, 2014 |

Manchette, MélissaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rosenblat, BarbaraNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rubin, AlfredoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
柳沢由実子Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The nurse walked out of the room, closing the door behind her, and Mrs. Pollifax looked at the doctor and he in turn looked at her.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449208281, Mass Market Paperback)

"Mrs. Pollifax is an enchantress."
THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW
Mrs. Virgil (Emily) Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was a widow with grown children. She was tired of attending her Garden Club meetings. She wanted to do something good for her country. So, naturally, she became a CIA agent. This time, the assignment sounds as tasty as a taco. A quick trip to Mexico City is on her agenda. Unfortunately, something goes wrong, and our dear Mrs. Pollifax finds herself embroilied in quite a hot Cold War--and her country's enemies find themsleves entangled with one unbelievably feisty lady.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:23 -0400)

"Mrs. Pollifax is an enchantress." THE NEW YORK TIMES BOOK REVIEW. Mrs. Virgil (Emily) Pollifax of New Brunswick, New Jersey, was a widow with grown children. She was tired of attending her Garden Club meetings. She wanted to do something good for her country. So, naturally, she became a CIA agent. This time, the assignment sounds as tasty as a taco. A quick trip to Mexico City is on her agenda. Unfortunately, something goes wrong, and our dear Mrs. Pollifax finds herself embroiled in quite a hot Cold War--and her country's enemies find themselves entangled with one unbelievably feisty lady.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,037,701 books! | Top bar: Always visible