Der letzte Wunsch - Das Schwert der…

Der letzte Wunsch - Das Schwert der Vorsehung (original 1993; edition 2000)

by Andrzej Sapkowski

Member:Oneironaut
Title:Der letzte Wunsch - Das Schwert der Vorsehung
Authors:Andrzej Sapkowski
Info:Heyne (2000), Broschiert, 446 Seiten

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski (1993)

English (28)  Finnish (3)  Spanish (2)  German (2)  Polish (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (38)
This was described to me as the Polish Tolkien.

This doesn't read like Tolkien at all.

Thank goodness. ( )
1 vote Tom_Wright | Jun 26, 2014 |
I was a little disappointed in this one. Normally, I'm rather fond of stories in translation, because their origins in a foreign culture imbue them with very authentic "alienness" can't be faked by writers from my own culture. With a foreign sensibility, characters end up making odd choices and associations and treating them as obvious. Commonplace. Even the narrator will do so. And this all makes for a deliciously eerie experience.

Usually.

In this case, however, the oddities didn't feel delicious. Just odd. I was frequently confused about sequences of events, changes of scene, and even dialogue attribution. Some phrases get repeated regularly enough to suggest the repitition might mean something, but try as I might, all I can make them mean is "boring writing." (Although I suppose it could mean "sloppy translation" instead.)

The story itself was decent, but today - less than 24 hours after finishing it - I find it hard to recall what the whole thing was about.

In the end, the flaws drew too much attention to themselves and the story wasn't strong enough to distract me from noticing that fact. ( )
  Jefficus | Apr 25, 2014 |
Really enjoyed this one.

This book has a frame story with six other stories within. They tell about Geralt of Rivia, a Witcher.

A Witcher is an alchemically enhanced monster hunter for hire, a mercenary, so don’t expect your average fantasy protagonist here, and for the matter do not expect your average generic middle age fantasy setting as well.

The setting is based on the middle ages, the world is dominated by the Human folk, the Old Races (elves, dwarves and gnomes) are viewed with suspicion and more often than not, outright racism. There seems to be a lot of political strife as well. This world is grey and ambiguous, sometimes depressingly so, human nature most of the time is not painted in good lights, there is incest, vengeance, backstab and whatnot, but there is beauty, kindness and love as well, sometimes in the places you would expect the least.

When I started reading it I knew this universe and its characters mostly through the game (a great game btw), so it was really nice to reencounter them, I did miss Triss Marigold a lot to be sure, since she is only mentioned in here. On the other hand, I’ve gotten to know Yennefer of Vengerberg much better, and what a blast it was, talk about badass female character.

One of my favorite things about this book were the many references to Classic Fairy Tales, I don’t want to spoil, so keep an eye out for it. I also learned a great deal about Polish Folklore, not by reading the book per se, but googling the references afterwards, most creatures come directly from it, very nice stuff.

I would recommend this book to fan of medieval fantasy, especially sword and sorcery and I guess to those interested in fairy tales and polish culture.
  Jack_Saucer | Mar 14, 2014 |
Yeah, not for me. Possibly an OK book, just not one that captures my attention. ( )
  duende | Feb 6, 2014 |
Again, inspired by media (AKA the Witcher 2 on the 360), I bought this novel this for my Kindle.

The Last Wish details how Geralt of Rivia meets some of the beloved characters in W2, more specifically the sorceress Yennefer, and how they initially met. (Which may have been explained in the first Witcher game, but I didn’t play that one). The overall story consists of Geralt seeking the aid of a healer/nun, and in return he tells her about his exciting exploits, and the life lessons each provided.

Sapkowski’s writing style is action-packed, detail-oriented, and just absolutely spectacular.

Originally published in Polish, and later translated into English, I know that there are some novellas that provide some continuity between this novel and the second, Blood of Elves. Other readers have commented on “being lost” when attempting to read the second novel. Regardless, I still plan reading the second and third novels, just because I loved Sapkowski’s style. ( )
  philae_02 | Jan 7, 2014 |
She came to him toward morning.
"Meinst du nicht" - er lächelte -, "dass mein Unglaube an den Sinn solch einer Trance ihren Zweck von vornherein zunichte machen würde?"
"Nein, das meine ich nicht". Und weißt Du, warum?"
"Nein."
Nenneke neigte den Kopf, blickte ihm in die Augen, ein seltsames Lächeln auf den bleichen Lippen. "Weil das der erste mir bekannte Beweis dafür wäre, dass Unglaube irgend etwas bewirken kann."
Contains 7 short stories. do not combine with 5 story editions.
Information from the Polish Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to the English one.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0316029181, Mass Market Paperback)

Geralt of Rivia is a witcher. A cunning sorcerer. A merciless assassin.

And a cold-blooded killer.

His sole purpose: to destroy the monsters that plague the world.

But not everything monstrous-looking is evil and not everything fair is good. . . and in every fairy tale there is a grain of truth.

The international hit that inspired the video game: The Witcher.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:41 -0400)

Geralt de Riv, a witcher, uses his vast sorcerous powers to hunt down the monsters that threaten the world, but he soon discovers that not every monstrous-looking creature is evil, and not everything beautiful is good.

Orbit Books

Two editions of this book were published by Orbit Books.

Editions: 0575077832, 0316029181

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,283,581 books! | Top bar: Always visible