A Traveler's Guide to Mars by William K.…

A Traveler's Guide to Mars

by William K. Hartmann

This is an excellent, well written, beautifully illustrated, and informative book. The author does a great job of explaining the data available at the time of publication from Mars orbiters, surface probes and rovers.
  RaskFamilyLibrary | Sep 13, 2012 |
Fun reading for space nuts, people who still dream of seeing a human footprint on Mars in their life time. This is like one of those Frommer's guides, an overview of all the Martian hot spots, featuring lovely photographs and graphics. I keep it beside my bed. To help trigger dreams of red sand, half-buried cities, intriguing bones and alien histories... ( )
  CliffBurns | Nov 19, 2008 |
I bought this book primarily because I am a science fiction author and have even placed a few of my stories on Mars. I thought having a book that gave me more information on the world could help with future stories. The depth of information in these well-written and informative pages is incredible, and not only for any story placed on Mars, but as a general look at an alien world.

Hartmann's in depth knowledge of the world and is excellent ability to explain the formations has created a far better understanding of this fascinating world than anything else I have ever read. Even the two fold out maps at the front of the book -- one showing the 'Classic' map of the Martian landscape from the 1960's and the second a topographical map created between 1997 and 2000 -- are fascinating to look at.

The pictures in this book are extraordinary. Different sections of the world are shown and the landscape explained. Ancient oceans, huge mountains, outflows, canyons... Mars is a world filled with breathtaking scenery. Until we can go to visit the world itself, this is the best way to take a trip to another world.

Harmann has a wonderful writing style that takes what could have been a dull recitation of facts made slightly better by great photos, into an exciting fun journey. He is the first winner of the Carl Sagan Medal from the American Astronomical Society, and an author of both nonfiction and fiction works.

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about the mysterious Red Planet. Science writing is rarely this much fun. ( )
  zette | Oct 19, 2008 |
While Mr. Hartmann is an evolutionist, this book is still fascinating for the creationist. The pictures are exquisite. Having read C.S. Lewis' "Out of the Silent Planet" it is easy to imagine that Mars was once filled with life, but a cosmic battle like that pictured in Revelations 12 laid it waste. ( )
1 vote yangguy | Jun 4, 2007 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0761126066, Paperback)

A Traveler's Guide to Mars revitalizes the Red Planet, leaving readers with the urge to don a spacesuit and take a long trip. With the look and heft of a guide to someplace you might actually go, the book presents Mars as a place of canyons and volcanoes, mesas, and barren plains, not that dissimilar from parts of Earth. Author William K. Hartmann, who participated in the Mars Global Surveyor mission, uses all the photos and data collected by scientists in decades of research to give a thorough, yet not boring, overview of the planet. The most exciting stuff is about water--whether it ever flowed on Mars, where it went, why it's hard to find. Beyond that, there are the rocks, dust, and weather to talk about, and Mars has lots of all three. Sidebars, maps, and chronologies help keep the regions and geology of Mars organized. Hartmann never forgets he's writing for the lay reader, and his style is personable and clear. When answering claims of NASA cover-ups, ancient civilizations, and hidden structures on Mars, he calmly lays out the facts and pictures, urging readers to simply examine the evidence. Hartmann offers a tourist's-eye view of one of our most intriguing planetary neighbors and does more to polish NASA's tarnished image than a thousand press releases. --Therese Littleton

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:55:30 -0400)

Utilizes a travel guide format to bring together recent scientific discoveries about Mars, describing such features as its dry riverbeds, huge volcano, possible ancient sea floor, and impact craters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,975,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible