Not That I Could Tell: A Novel by Jessica…

Not That I Could Tell: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Jessica Strawser (Author)

Member:JenniferLynn
Title:Not That I Could Tell: A Novel
Authors:Jessica Strawser (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), 336 pages
Rating:***

Not That I Could Tell: A Novel by Jessica Strawser

Not That I Could Tell begins the morning after Clare hosted a party of six neighborhood women to christen her new firepit. Waking up tired, groggy, and with little memory of the night before, they are shocked to learn that on of them, Kristin, has disappeared along with her twins. Paul, her distraught and estranged husband suggests she fled for financial reasons, cleaning out the bank account. Clare wonders if there may have been foul play, but then she may be biased having first-hand experience of domestic violence. Natalie’s daughter Hallie is on the case. Meanwhile, Izzy, the single woman of the group is recovering from her own broken heart and thinking Paul may help fix it.

Not That I Could Tell is an interesting intersection of genres–not quite a thriller though we do wonder what happened to Kristin, not as much as the neighbors do, since there are short interstitial chapters from her point-of-view. It’s also not a romance, as Izzy makes very clear, though there is some romancing. It’s not quite a family/marriage drama though Clare and her wonderful husband Benny have some disagreements about what Benny perceives as Clare’s misplaced obsession. It’s a bit of everything and not a book you can pigeonhole, which is why there is the category “Contemporary Fiction.”

I like the people in the book, particularly Clare, Hallie, and Benny. The police are pretty nice, too, though not particularly effective. The resolution is satisfying, though not surprising. It’s not going to keep you up at night, but it kept my interest.

I received a copy of Not That I Could Tell from the publisher through NetGalley.

Not That I Could Tell at St. Martin’s Press | Macmillan
Jessica Strawser author site

https://tonstantweaderreviews.wordpress.com/2018/08/01/9781250107886/ ( )
  Tonstant.Weader | Aug 1, 2018 |
Where the $#%#% is Kristen!?!?!

This book will take you up and down, and back around again just trying to answer that question. I really enjoyed the suspense that builds up throughout this - and it's a fun, easy read as well. A bit "Big Little Lies" -esque, this story follows a group of neighbors (mostly moms), who let their hair down one night with some wine, and stories, and some neighborly bonding while their children and families sleep unaware of the mystery they will wake up to Monday morning - Kristen, has disappeared.

You wonder throughout the WHOLE BOOK where she went. You think it's one thing, then you think it's another (I wish there was more of this though - I didn't question many characters, and wished there were more angles to point fingers) but ultimately the end is satisfying, yet a little predictable, and then WHAM! Total surprise! I loooooved the end of this book!

I have read a few books in the past that each chapter is dedicated to a character. I find this a bit hard to keep track when its three or more characters. This book primarily follows two, Clara and Izzy, who are very likeable although troubled. I loved this technique of just following two people and watching all the drama in this entire neighborhood unfold.

The writing is smart, and clever and progresses very smoothly. This story of how well you really know the people around you, flows really well, and is definitley a page-turner, and I'm glad I read this. ( )
  Bookapotamus | Jun 27, 2018 |
I found this thriller to be very suspenseful all the way through but felt let down by the ending and I'm not sure why. The writing was fine, although the portrayal of an all white life in an affluent college town left me a bit meh. But I would read another of hers. The plot - a suburban mom, divorced with young twins from a first husband, disappears in plain sight - worked, because where death is final, disappearance is not, and leaves more room for conjecturing possibilities. But I couldn't really get excited about the almost all female cast. Although when one character asks for a happy ending that DIDN'T involve a romantic relationship, that was striking and great.

Quotes: "We remember the whole night exactly the same, except for the foggy parts - which we fail to remember exactly the same. Seriously, who put alcohol in the wine?"

"Clara wondered what she'd ever done to deserve such a good man, and then immediately wondered why anyone deserved less of one." ( )
  froxgirl | Jun 1, 2018 |
Gone Girl meets Big Little Lies but so much better. Definitely a page turner. ( )
  DKnight0918 | May 31, 2018 |
Good book. Didn’t see the ending coming! I love a good twist. ( )
  gail616 | May 30, 2018 |

"A group of neighborhood woman gather around a fire pit to enjoy a Saturday night of laughter and shared secrets. The single newcomer. The imperfect mom. The newborn parents. The military wife. The almost divorce. By Monday morning, one of them is gone. An innocent night of fun has shocking repercussions"--Book jacket.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,023,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible