Not That I Could Tell: A Novel by Jessica…

Not That I Could Tell: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Jessica Strawser (Author)

Title:Not That I Could Tell: A Novel
Authors:Jessica Strawser (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), 336 pages

Not That I Could Tell: A Novel by Jessica Strawser

A group of friends gathers around the fire pit for an evening to gossip and drink wine without husbands and kids. What could be better than this for a group of young over-stressed women. Until the next morning when the police show up at each of their houses to tell them that one of their friends has disappeared. Kristin, the mother of twins and soon to be divorced wife of a doctor has disappeared with the kids and no one has a clue where she is, whether she left voluntarily or was forced. As the tension builds in the neighborhood due to police questioning and the media presence, we learn that each of the women has secrets that she hasn't shared with her friends. I really can't say much about the plot without a spoiler but I will say that this is a wonderful books. The characters are well written and were a great representation of women everywhere. The plot is fantastic and a real page turner. Don't think you have it all figured out too early in the book because you will be wrong. I highly recommend this one!

i received an advance copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are my own. ( )
  susan0316 | Mar 17, 2018 |
Requested from NetGalley.

This is a well-written book which covers numerous topics that are prevalent in our current society.

A group of neighbor women, all but one of them mothers, meet for a friendly night of wine and laughter at one of the neighbors' homes. They are happy to find that their baby monitors reach that far. They get tipsy and conversation goes deeper than planned, with some of them spilling their secrets. The following morning, one of the women is gone. She and her children are missing.

These women all send their children to the same school, they walk the same paths, they shop the same stores. The woman who is missing is a working woman, married to a doctor, has two small children and around the campfire stated she was not concerned about her upcoming divorce.

The husband moves back into the house, the police are investigating, no one has any information at all, and no one knows what to do. Only one of them will grant the husband the benefit of the doubt.

The woman doesn't return, the police stop investigating, but there remains hope.

This is a good story of friendship, secrets we keep, clues we choose not to see, and outcomes we don't expect. It has a twist ending.....well worth reading! ( )
  Bonnie.Franks | Mar 15, 2018 |
I recently read "Almost Missed You" and loved it, so I was excited to see a new book out by the author.

The book centers around a group of neighbors. Izzy, the newest addition to the neighborhood, has issues with her sister and brother-in-law and hates her job at the radio station. Randi and Rhoda have a three month old baby and own a boutique in town. Natalie has a husband deployed oversees and is attending college part-time while raising her precocious twelve year old daughter. Clara is happily married with two young children and experienced a tragic event with a friend/coworker. Then there's Kristin, with the appearance of being the perfect mother of twins and is in the middle of finalizing her divorce to her doctor husband. Everything seems fine in their neighborhood, until the women wake up in the morning after a girls' night around Clara's new fire pit drinking wine, to discover Kristin and her children are missing.

I thought the book was going to be more of a mystery and suspense with twists. I did love reading about the neighbors and getting to know them. Even though the book is about Kristin, I felt like I didn't get to really know her or what exactly was going on with her husband. Izzy's circumstances with her sister, Penny, and brother-in-law, Josh, were confusing. I thought Penny would have some knowledge about Izzy's feelings for Josh, since they were best friends for so long. I wasn't exactly expecting the ending, but I also wasn't surprised.

I recommend the book and look forward to reading more by the author.

Thanks to NetGalley, St. Martin's Press and the author, Jessica Strawser, for a free electronic ARC of this novel ( )
  JenniferLynn | Mar 13, 2018 |
Not That I Could Tell
Jessica Strasser

What it's all about...

A lovely neighborhood in a quaint small town...a friendly place where everyone knows each other. The neighborhood moms are recovering from a night in Clara’s back yard...drinking wine and sharing secrets and stories of their lives. The next day one of the moms is gone. She and her twins have disappeared. The neighbors are left in shock...the neighborhood in disarray! What happened? Is the handsome doctor husband involved in any way?

Why I wanted to read it...

This book just had a great feel to it. The moment I picked it up I was absorbed in the lives of these characters. They were all affected by this disappearance...but some more than others.

What made me truly enjoy this book...

The writing, the suspense, the dialogue, the characters...all made this book really really good.

Why you should read it, too...

Readers who love books that detail families, their lives, their dysfunctional issues...will love this book!

I received an advance reader’s copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley and Amazon. It was my choice to read it and review it. ( )
  PattyLouise | Mar 11, 2018 |
Jessica Strawser

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️▫️
PUBLISHER St. Martin’s Press
PUBLISHED March 27, 2018

A fun girls night out with wine and friends turns one neighborhood into the media’s spotlight.

A group of neighborhood women gather around a fire pit one Saturday night. With wine in hand the conversation turns both giddy and personal. On Monday morning, one of them is missing. Kristen, the mother of four-year-old twins and school mom volunteer extraordinaire is in the midst of a divorce to a handsome doctor. No one saw her leave or knows why she might have left. As secrets are revealed Kristen’s ex-husband to be, Paul is at the center of the police investigation. Clara who was Kristen’s closest friend on the block, is very much reminded of an incident in her past, and has suspicions of her own. Izzy who only moved to the neighborhood recently, is not jumping to any conclusions, besides she is dealing with issues in her own love life. As the weeks pass and the media attention dwindles the neighbors are left to realize they may never know why Kristen disappeared.

“The missing, the hidden, the murdered and the other wise lost never get to tell their sides of the story. It’s the last and sometimes cruelest injustice.”

The big question is what happened to Kristen and the twins? Was she running away from something or was Paul responsible for her disappearance? A search of Kristen’s computer revealed visits to domestic abuse sites. But if that was the case, why didn’t she say something, or reach out to someone for help. NOT THAT I COULD TELL is an intriguing and evocative domestic thriller that will captivate you and leave you wondering about how well you know your own neighbors. JESSICA STRAWSER has drawn an ideal cast of neighbors who all react differently to Kristen’s disappearance. Strawser creatively imparts backstory in italics at the beginning of each chapter. The writing is absorbing and will keep your head in the book until late into the night.

Strawser is the Editor-at-Large at Writer’s Digest Magazine. Her debut novel was Almost Missed You (2017). Thanks to NetGalley, St Martin’s Press and Jessica Strawser for an advance reading copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Feb 15, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 123,919,885 books! | Top bar: Always visible