dismiss

Rogue Protocol

by Martha Wells

Series: The Murderbot Diaries (3)

"Sci-Fi's favorite antisocial AI is back on a mission. The case against the too-big-to-fail GrayCris Corporation is floundering, and more importantly, authorities are beginning to ask more questions about where Dr. Mensah's SecUnit is. And Murderbot would rather those questions went away. For good."The case against the too-big-to-fail GrayCris Corporation is floundering, and more importantly, authorities are beginning to ask more questions about where Dr. Mensah's SecUnit is. The cyborg Security Unit Murderbot would rather those questions went away. For good. Is Milu, a deserted terraforming facility in space, an abandoned project of GrayCris or a cover for its recovery operations for alien remnants? -- adapted from jacket and goodreads.com… (more)

English (63)  French (1)  All languages (64)
Murderbot is on its own again and now has a plan to help Dr. Mensah take down GrayCris Corporation and hopefully go back to Preservation, where she will be safe and Murderbot can stop worrying about her. Some time ago, GrayCris set up a terraform facility at Milu that somehow failed. Since GrayCris Corporation's standard operations include lying, murdering, and stealing, Murderbot figures that the terraform facility was just a cover and is now heading to Milu to get proof. As usual, its work is complicated by the need to protect humans in dangerous situations.

There was almost no media watching and the ending was a gut punch, but aside from that, this might be my favorite entry in the series so far. The pacing was excellent, and I enjoyed watching Murderbot struggle to get a handle on the relationship between Miki, a bot, and Don Abene, the human Miki referred to as its friend. Which also led to Murderbot struggling with its feelings about that relationship - although Miki's child-like innocence and trust irked it, and it figured that Don Abene probably viewed Miki as a pet, it occasionally felt something almost like envy while watching them.

One of the things that struck me while reading this was that Murderbot's universe is bigger and more varied than even it seems to grasp. This makes at least the second time it has encountered humans who don't automatically view bots and SecUnits as disposable objects, even though Murderbot has repeatedly told us that everyone hates and fears SecUnits.

It's going to be interesting to see what Murderbot does after this - it knows it doesn't want to be property or some kind of pet, but it also clearly can't just go around watching serials and doing nothing. For one thing, it would eventually get caught, and for another, it can't seem to help but perform its function, even as it tries its best not to care about the humans it's driven to protect.

Again, I'm glad I already own the next work. No need to wait around - I can start reading it tonight.

(Original review posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Jul 12, 2020 |
Little pet robot
loyal, but not a fighter
happy just to help. ( )
  Eggpants | Jun 25, 2020 |
Murderbot continues to be a delight. Seriously impressive how much these are simultaneously a light, fun, easy read and address really big themes about morality, capitalism, violence, robot slavery, personhood and autonomy. ( )
  eldang | Jun 8, 2020 |
Lightweight adventure, third in the series of novellas about a killer robot with no governor to keep it from killing people but a conscience that does an even better job. While engaging and hard to put down, there's little to remember either, other than the robot's snarky first person narration.

Fun, and that's not such a bad thing. ( )
1 vote ChrisRiesbeck | Jun 2, 2020 |
Urban fantasy has made it to the broken assassinbot AI stage in a big way. Just as much internal monologues as the other field, but this is entirely a corporate/spaceships/planetary colonies kind of popcorn fiction.

Is this is as good as the other two delicious entries? I think so. Maybe not quite as interesting as the last, but introducing the near-skinjob Miki who is treated at worst as a pet and at best as a valued member of the team was a real treat for us, if not for our favorite broken assassinbot just trying to make ends meet long enough to watch her favorite SF soap operas.

And trying not to care whether her clients kick it, of course. :)

Frankly, these novellas are smooth as silk and enjoyable no matter what goes on in them. I blame it on our MC robot. Her ruminations into her nature and her abilities and her interpersonal growth when it comes to the other robots she meets could make even watching paint dry rather interesting. Even so, it's a good thing we're ripping heads off bad guys and dealing with the intrigue of pretending to be someone's chattel or pretending to be human... sometimes successfully... while always running the risk of becoming a major scary target because she is what she is.

Ongoing goodness? Yes. Very enjoyable. ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |

Martha Wellsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Böhmert, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montier, MathildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I have the worst luck with bot-driven transports.

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,049,795 books! | Top bar: Always visible