Racing Manhattan by Terence Blacker

Racing Manhattan

by Terence Blacker

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. I didn't know anything about the racing environment in the United Kingdom or anywhere else for that matter so it was good to learn about it. I've always loved horses so even though I'm not into racing I enjoyed reading about them and their care. I loved the fact that there was a female protagonist and she had to fight her way through the male dominated culture of racing to prove herself. Jay was really lucky since she was given more than one second chance to reach her dream of becoming a jockey. She had so many obstacles in her way, her stubborn will to win, her conniving uncle, the male dominated Arabian culture. If you like strong female characters, this is a book for you. Recommended. ( )
  treadsowell | May 8, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jay doesn't like school and her aunt and uncle are always complaining about having to care for her. She's not high maintenance but she's not one of their kids either. She loves her cousin but isn't sure about the parents. When she finds out that her uncle has plans for her, she runs away. She loves the ponies they have and race so she heads to a town that is full of stables and racing. Surely she can find a job there...

Candlewick Press and Library Thing sent me an ARC of this book to read for review (thank you). It will be published May 22nd.

Jay is young but she's a strong person. She's willing to work hard to meet her goals. Her mother died several years ago and she never knew her father but she just does the best she can. She has more of a conscience than her uncle and more morals than most of the stable men.

What she finds is no one wants her. She makes her pitch to the man who's known as "Magic" and his wife convinces him to put her on. She gets to help care for the horses. That's when she sees this very secure building that is locked up. There's a horse in there but it has a very bad reputation. She defies orders and goes in to meet the horse. The horse has been abused and is fearful. But Jay has her own soothing routines and knows how to develop trust.

This is the best part of the story. Everyone else thinks the mare is no good and ought to be put down. Jay manages to get her out of the cage and riding again. No one knows how far this is going to go but when you put a determined girl and a determined horse together, there's really no limit.

This was a very good read with lots of ups and downs. It was a pleasure to read. ( )
  bkfaerie | Feb 2, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
There is something to say for reading a book where you know there will be a happy ending with all loose ends tied up. Sometimes, that is exactly what I need out of a book. That is certainly what I got with Racing Manhattan. Jay, the main character, was a delight to read about- watching her grow throughout the book as she discovers herself and grows stronger in her convictions.

This is a classic coming of age novel and a tale of survival - not just for Jay, but for Manhattan, the mare, as well. For me, knowing nothing about racing, it was interesting to be cast into the heat of the racing world and learn about the politics behind it all.

This is a solid 4-star read for me, and a perfect fit for anyone wanting learn about the racing world and anyone who is looking for a light, happy read.

**Thank you to Candlewick Press for providing me a copy of Racing Manhattan in exchange for an honest review** ( )
  AmyBreiter | Jan 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Entertaining story about a young orphan who leaves home to get into the racing business, and finds a misunderstood and mistreated horse that she believes could be a champion: in other words, this is a pony book.

I did feel that the author did a decent job of telling the story in first-person, which is not always done well, and I appreciated the fact that he did not feel it necessary to flood the reader with excess information that was not needed to tell this tale. ( )
  fuzzi | Jan 26, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jay Barton, a sixteen-year-old orphan who is being raised by her Uncle and Step-Aunt, has a strong connection to the ponies she is racing and a talent to become a jockey. Feeling unwanted by her adoptive family, Jay runs away to Newmarket and ends up securing a job as a lad at a racing stable. Here she develops a bond with a large grey mare named Manhattan who is being abused by the lad entrusted with her care. Together, Jay and Manhattan show that females have an important place in the racing world. Great read with feel good ending. ( )
  SheilaCornelisse | Jan 15, 2018 |

Alone in the world, Jay Barton is a teenage misfit with nothing much going for her besides an extraordinary talent for understanding racehorses and riding them like a pro. When, in a desperate attempt to escape her shifty, opportunistic uncle, she leaves home to work in a racing stable, Jay forms a bond with a beautiful gray mare named Manhattan -- brilliant, misunderstood, dangerous, and heading for racing's scrap heap. Recognizing a fellow misfit, Jay fights to give Manhattan one last opportunity to show that she's the champion she was born to be. Together they face a world of prejudice and cruelty, fighting back the only way they know how -- by becoming the best.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Terence Blacker's book Racing Manhattan is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,993,456 books! | Top bar: Always visible