La Misteriosa Fiamma Della Regina Loana -…

La Misteriosa Fiamma Della Regina Loana - Limited Edition (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Umberto Eco

Member:libertareauser01
Title:La Misteriosa Fiamma Della Regina Loana - Limited Edition
Authors:Umberto Eco
Info:Bompiani (2004), Hardcover, 451 pages

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco (2004)

History of Beauty by Umberto Eco (WiJiWiJi)
    The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall (freddlerabbit)
    The Uncommon Reader by Alan Bennett (Alixtii)
    Alixtii: Both books having writers getting meta about the nature of writing and reading as a protagonist goes through a process of reading very (and I mean very) many books. Both are written with wit and insight, although Eco's book is better.

English (66)  French (5)  Italian (4)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  German (1)  All languages (79)
Stopped reading it just over halfway through. Disregard for his wife, overt sexual fantasies about his young secretary, all a bit of a bore. ( )
  CinnamonAndSpite | Jul 18, 2018 |
This book was absolutely outstanding, until the very end. I do not at all understand what the ending had to do with anything at all in the rest of the novel; it was quite a disappointment.

It's entirely possible, though, that I just didn't get it.

I gave it three stars as a balance between the excellent writing, and the horrible ending.

Most of the novel explores identity, via a main character with amnesia. It's a great exploration.

I listened to this as an unabridged audio book ready be George Guidall. His performance was oustanding, as always. ( )
  hopeevey | May 19, 2018 |
non mi sarebbe mai passata per il cervello l'dea di leggerlo. Poi una bella recensione mi ha stuzzicato e ho detto, mah! può darsi che...
No, non può darsi...meglio lasciare perdere. La stima e il grande affetto per il suo autore non saranno certo scalfite dalla ennesima conferma di quanto sia stato un modesto romanziere.
  icaro. | Aug 31, 2017 |
I bought this book for 25 cents at the Tara Rotary Book Sale, which is a real bargain considering it's hard-cover and filled with beautiful colour reproductions of art, comics, photographs, and other ephemera. Much like [b:The Uncommon Reader|1096390|The Uncommon Reader|Alan Bennett|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1317064291s/1096390.jpg|1792422] which I read a few weeks ago, going through this book I was particularly excited to have Eco's recommendations for what to read next. Bennett's book was far more blithe, of course, whereas Eco has his trademark deep intertextuality at play, but for me the joy of making connections between art and literature and culture is there with both of them.

There are ways in which it drags. There were definitely times where I felt that I'd heard so many stories of growing up in Fascist Italy that it was hard to care for another personalized retelling in fiction. I constantly wondered why it was only his childhood literary history he was interested in recovering, seeing as any work connected deeply with his personal life as he grew to be an adult should surely also matter. I wondered why he didn't strive to recover more of that part of his history, and felt like the only reason it didn't get covered was because it was post-Fascism and that's what Eco wanted to write about. I suppose there's an extent to which childhood is the period of development, of intensity, and the cornerstone of our eventual Self. Perhaps Yambo did level out, cease developing at the pace of youth, but I dislike the presumed stasis of adulthood. We have our habits, perhaps, but I don't think our identities are any more permanent and fixed. ( )
  likecymbeline | Apr 1, 2017 |
Yambo, a sixtyish rare-book dealer who lives in Milan, has suffered a loss of memory-he can remember the plot of every book he has ever read, every line of poetry, but he no longer knows his own name, doesn't recognize his wife or his daughters, and remembers nothing about his parents or his childhood. In an effort to retrieve his past, he withdraws to the family home somewhere in the hills between Milan and Turin. There, in the sprawling attic, he searches through boxes of old newspapers, comics, records, photo albums, and adolescent diaries.

This book explores what is memories. How do our memories shape us? How did Yambo grow and become the person he no longer remembers. ( )
  nx74defiant | Mar 12, 2017 |

Eco, Umbertoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brock, GeoffreyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gerritsen, RobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Guidall, GeorgeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vlot, HennyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
"And what's your name?"
"Wait, it's on the tip of my tongue."

There is a wiki annotation page for this novel at: http://queenloana.wikispaces.com/

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0156030438, Paperback)

The premise of Umberto Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, may strike some readers as laughably unpromising, and others as breathtakingly rich. A sixty-ish Milanese antiquarian bookseller nicknamed Yambo suffers a stroke and loses his memory of everything but the words he has read: poems, scenes from novels, miscellaneous quotations. His wife Paola fills in the bare essentials of his family history, but in order to trigger original memories, Yambo retreats alone to his ancestral home at Solara, a large country house with an improbably intact collection of family papers, books, gramophone records, and photographs. The house is a museum of Yambo's childhood, conventiently empty of people, except of course for one old family servant with a long memory--an apt metaphor for the mind. Yambo submerges himself in these artifacts, rereading almost everything he read as a school boy, blazing a meandering, sometimes misguided, often enchanting trail of words. Flares of recognition do come, like "mysterious flames," but these only signal that Yambo remembers something; they do not return that memory to him. It is like being handed a wrapped package, the contents of which he can only guess.

Within the limitations of Yambo's handicap and quest, Eco creates wondrous variety, wringing surprise and delight from such shamelessly hackneyed plot twists as the discovery of a hidden room. Illustrated with the cartoons, sheet music covers, and book jackets that Yambo uncovers in his search, The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana can be read as a love letter to literature, a layered excavation of an Italian boyhood of the 1940s, and a sly meditation on human consciousness. Both playful and reverent, it stands with The Name of the Rose and The Island of the Day Before as among Eco's most successful novels. --Regina Marler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:28 -0400)

Having suffered a complete loss of memory regarding every aspect of his identity, Yambo withdraws to a family home outside of Milan, where he sorts through boxes of old records and experiences memories in the form of a graphic novel.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,690,172 books! | Top bar: Always visible