The Last Time I Lied: A Novel by Riley Sager

The Last Time I Lied: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Riley Sager (Author)

Member:CariDeCoons
Title:The Last Time I Lied: A Novel
Authors:Riley Sager (Author)
Info:Dutton (2018), Edition: First Edition, 384 pages

The Last Time I Lied: A Novel by Riley Sager

Recently added byMegha17, rena75, Shadow_Sandy, ethompson011, SWade0126, ratana05, private library, mplservice

I read this book in one day. I couldn't put it down! There was lots of suspense and it was hard to predict the ending with lots of twists and turns. I particularly liked the way the author had the characters play the game "Two truths and a lie" throughout the novel. It was definitely well-written in how little by little truth was revealed. I related to all aspects of the novel. I've spent countless summers at camp and recognized the camp atmosphere very well. I also feel the description of the girl friendships was very true. The only slightly odd part was the prologue and epilogue which were narrated in a different voice...I couldn't quite figure out who was speaking at those moments...I'll look for more titles by this author for sure! ( )
  5041 | Jan 6, 2019 |
Fun, captivating, perfect-for-the-weekend read.

Emma Davis is an artist of rising prominence, based in New York. Her acclaimed painting series has been influenced by a tragedy she witnessed as a teenager. Attending an expensive summer camp for the first time, 13 year old Emma is bunked with three older teenagers- Vivian, Natalie, and Allison. The three girls walk out of their cabin one night, never to be found again.

15 years later, Emma is approached by Franny, owner of the camp property and under whose responsibility the girls were, at the time of their disappearance. They're reopening the camp, and Emma is offered an instructor position.

For Franny and members of her family, reopening and running the camp successfully is a chance at redemption, and closure. For Emma, closure also means finding out what happened to her cabin-mates. Even if she has to confront her own mistakes.

The Last Time I Lied follows Emma's journey to unearth the truth after all these years. It is a suspenseful read that will leave you guessing till the end. The final reveal is in the making throughout the book, and you might be staring it in the face, yet it doesn't quite dawn on you until it happens.

Definitely recommended for those who enjoy atmospheric suspense novels without gore/graphic scenes. As an aside, I was reminded of the TV show Pretty Little Liars while reading the book. ( )
  AceFeminist | Dec 7, 2018 |
The first half of the book felt like it dragged on a little, but I was still curious enough to want to keep reading. The second half was fast-paced and kept me guessing. I was surprised multiple times, and I definitely did not see any of it coming. I definitely recommend this for fans of thrillers or creepy camp stories. ( )
  distantiation | Dec 3, 2018 |
SO GOOD!! I couldn’t put it down. I had so many theories as I read and couldn’t figure out WTF was going on. Half way through - major shocker! I was like WHAAAAAAA?!?! What is going on!? Then the ending! Omg. A must read if you like suspense!! ( )
  erthom02 | Nov 20, 2018 |
What I enjoyed about this one is the twists and turns happening all throughout the novel. You think it’s one thing, but it’s leading to another, yet out comes another possible solution to the mystery however it ends up being another red herring and so on. The guessing games keep the book on your toes.

The plot flows through smoothly, alternating between past and present so you get a feel for the background story on the events leading up as to why Emma is back. There were times where you had to question her sanity because her behavior was erratic and unstable. As mentioned before, the guessing games throughout the novel kept the plot going and exciting to read. Expect mean girl behavior and shenanigans, and Emma’s character overall isn’t too likable but tolerable at the most. Vivian isn’t any better but the role she takes upon herself as a ‘big sister’ is endearing and gets instant idolization from Emma.

What I loved the most about this book is I wasn’t expecting such a great ending. I was thinking it was going to be a lackluster one at the most with a simple explanation as to what was behind the girls disappearances. It’s not until literally, the last pages of the novel where you get hit with a mega surprise and it was instant mind blow. I was left shocked for a fair amount of time as it was expertly done.

I heard more good things about Sager’s other works so I’ll definitely be picking them up. Hope they’re just as good as this one! ( )
  sensitivemuse | Nov 11, 2018 |

"In the new novel from the bestselling author of Final Girls, The Last Time I Lied follows a young woman as she returns to her childhood summer camp to uncover the truth about a tragedy that happened there fifteen years ago. Two Truths and a Lie. The girls played it all the time in their tiny cabin at Camp Nightingale. Vivian, Natalie, Allison, and first-time camper Emma Davis, the youngest of the group. The games ended when Emma sleepily watched the others sneak out of the cabin in the dead of night. The last she--or anyone--saw of them was Vivian closing the cabin door behind her, hushing Emma with a finger pressed to her lips. Now a rising star in the New York art scene, Emma turns her past into paintings--massive canvases filled with dark leaves and gnarled branches that cover ghostly shapes in white dresses. The paintings catch the attention of Francesca Harris-White, the socialite and wealthy owner of Camp Nightingale. When Francesca implores her to return to the newly reopened camp as a painting instructor, Emma sees an opportunity to try to find out what really happened to her friends. Yet it's immediately clear that all is not right at Camp Nightingale. Already haunted by memories from fifteen years ago, Emma discovers a security camera pointed directly at her cabin, mounting mistrust from Francesca and, most disturbing of all, cryptic clues Vivian left behind about the camp's twisted origins. As she digs deeper, Emma finds herself sorting through lies from the past while facing threats from both man and nature in the present. And the closer she gets to the truth about Camp Nightingale, the more she realizes it may come at a deadly price"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,629,614 books! | Top bar: Always visible