Postcards From a Stranger by Imogen Clark

Postcards From a Stranger (edition 2018)

by Imogen Clark (Author)

A secret lies buried at the heart of her family--but it can't stay hidden forever. When Cara stumbles across a stash of old postcards in the attic, their contents make her question everything she thought she knew. The story she pieces together is confusing and unsettling, and appears to have been patched over with lies. But who can tell her the truth? With her father sinking into Alzheimer's and her brother reluctant to help, it seems Cara will never find the answers to her questions. One thing is clear, though: someone knows more than they're letting on. Torn between loyalty to her family and dread of what she might find, Cara digs into the early years of her parents' troubled marriage, hunting down long-lost relatives who might help unravel the mystery. But the picture that begins to emerge is not at all the one she'd expected--because as she soon discovers, lies have a habit of multiplying . . . Revised edition: This edition of Postcards from a Stranger includes editorial revisions.… (more)
Member:AlexDraven
Title:Postcards From a Stranger
Authors:Imogen Clark (Author)
Info:Lake Union Publishing (2018), 348 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Postcards from a Stranger by Imogen Clark

I've got some Autumnal snuffles on the go, so this book from my TBR fitted the bill for a light, easy read that didn't require too much thinking.

The protagonist is caring for her father who has Alzheimer's when she discovers some postcards in the attic which throw into question her mother's death when she was a toddler and the truth of her family back story.

Although not the most eloquently written book I've ever read (too much switching between timeframes, narrator viewpoints and first and third person, as well as a lot of 'tell' rather than 'show'), this surprised me by turning into bit of a page-turner once it got going. This is not high-brow fiction, but it ticked the box for guilty pleasure comfort reading.

3 stars - fairly predictable and lacking writing finesse, but an enjoyable read on these dark evenings nonetheless. ( )
  AlisonY | Oct 24, 2019 |
This book by Imogen Clark, follows Cara as she cares for her father during his last months with Alzheimers. The storyline has a past and a present voice that skips back and forth. At the beginning this is confusing because the reader does not know who the voice of the past is. Trust me though... stick it out because the book is AMAZING!!! It is certainly not your run of the mill romance or family story. There are A LOT of twists and turns that will give the reader food for thought. Clark makes you think, 'What would you do if you were in Cara's situation?' Often it is so difficult to answer questions like those until you have walked in those shoes.

'Postcards from a Stranger is a story of romance, friendship, family, death, maternal love and mystery. Have your tissues ready because this book is definitely a tear-jerker. There are so many different parts of this book where my heart actually hurt for Cara and what she was experiencing. Okay... I know it's only a book, but sometimes it's tough to get that through to my head while I'm reading.

If you like reading a book that is unlike others, then I would grab this one. It's an incredible read.

I received this book for free from the Publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. ( )
  Mandy.Rasmussen | Dec 10, 2018 |
Loved the book from the moment I started reading it. I was first drawn to the cover and ended up loving the story. There's a bit of a mystery about what happened to Cara's mom.

Since Cara was two, she has always believed that her mom was dead. She grew up with an older brother, Michael, and a father who was rather strict. Cara and Michael weren't allowed to make noise while playing and the attic was forbidden. Michael left the house as soon as he entered college and never looked back. Cara became a wedding dress designer and lives at home. Cara finds a box in the attic full of postcards from her mom. A mom that is supposed to be dead. Cara can't ask her dad about them because he is suffering from Alzheimer's. Cara knows her mom must be alive and goes on a search to find her or at least the truth about why she abandoned her children. Cara travels to San Francisco to meet an aunt she never knew existed.

My favorite parts were reading about Cara and her quest to find her mom. I wanted to feel bad for Annie, but she made so many bad choices. To get away from her dad she goes straight into the arms of someone exactly like him. Tilly was one of the worst choices she made. Where was Annie when Cara turned eighteen? Cara and Michael acted the opposite of what I thought they would at the end of the funeral. Michael discouraged Cara from looking for their mom. Throughout the whole book I was hoping Mrs. P would turn out to be Cara's long lost mom. All signs pointed that Beth made a terrible mistake by getting married. He seemed so controlling. My favorite part is when she bought the dog and refused to sell her cottage. I loved the story, characters and writing style.

I definitely recommend the book. I look forward to reading more by the author.

Thanks to NetGalley, Amazon Publishing UK and the author, Imogen Clark, for a free electronic ARC of this novel. ( )
  JenniferLynn | Jul 18, 2018 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 140,165,394 books! | Top bar: Always visible