Hottest Heads of State: Volume 1: The…

Hottest Heads of State: Volume 1: The American Presidents (2018)

by J. D. Dobson

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
With timelines, trivia, vital stats, and hilarious tips on how to win the hearts of American presidents, Hottest Heads of State is a fantastically unique approach to learning a little history. From George Washington to Donald Trump, this book has it all with fashion critiques, favorite recipes, pop quizzes, Best Beards, and several Match the Mistress games. Interspersed between president low downs are short tutorials on topics such as the Electoral College, Whig Party, Gold Standard, and the Federal Reserve System. Book has lots of great photos and an entertaining layout. Rutherford B. Hayes is a dreamboat! Fun book! ( )
  standhenry | Aug 22, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An irreverent romp through presidential history complete with scandals and mistresses. John F. Kennedy having the most mistresses with Lyndon Johnson coming in a distance second. It also points out that Gerald Ford's motive for pardoning Nixon was that in accepting the pardon Nixon was admitting he was guilty. Something I didn't realize at the time. There are sections on who had the best beards, oiled hair, an attempt to explain the Electoral College, the Iran-Contra-Affair and the Gold Standard. An amusing book about our presidents. ( )
  lisa.schureman | Jul 4, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not quite sure who this book is aimed at. As a history nerd, I was into it for the beginning, but it got old quickly. There's not a lot of actual information here that I didn't already know, at least about the better known presidents. The cutesy format could only keep my interest for so long. I could see it as a gag gift that maybe never gets read. ( )
  duchessjlh | Mar 29, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a very cute premise - Presidents in Tiger Beat fashion! - but I'm not sure whom the actual audience is. I feel like the audience is adult history nerds who also loved Tiger Beat in the 80s/90s, but that conceit only holds attention for so long. ( )
  literary.jess | Mar 6, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Hottest Heads of State Volume One: The American Presidents wasn't what I expected. J.D. And Kate Dobson attempt to titillate imaginations of teenage girls while dishing out trivia. Throughout the book the authors obviously try to inspire young ladies to consider imaginary crushes on U.S. presidents. Of course these leaders would never be attainable for the young target audience. That's for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that all but a handful of the chief executives are now dead. This is nevertheless a valiant effort to introduce the young ladies to the heads of American government.

Even if you're not a female in her teenage years, reading the book could well interest you in some things you likely didn't know. I don't recall ever having heard that founding father John Adams used a fake name in letters he wrote to newspapers. He signed off as Humphrey Ploughjogger! This somewhat obscure fact prompted me to contemplate that if Donald Trump were to choose a Twitter pseudonym, much less negative reaction would materialize. Most readers of the 1760's probably cared very little about what Humphrey Ploughjogger had to say.

There are other interesting facts that you may be compelled to double-check for yourself to verify accuracy. James Madison was a hypochondriac. The first president targeted for assassination was Andrew Jackson. His would-be killer twice failed to succeed at the attempt. As William Henry Harrison was dying doctors regularly applied leeches to his body. Sarah Polk functioned as secretary for husband James.

The book is loaded with such random facts. Maybe it will spark some interest in U.S. history on the part of young people. If it does, that's good. To be sure, substantive information about presidential policies just isn't there, but that obviously is not what the authors wanted to provide. The question of whether the obvious aim at tickling the humor of girls meets it's mark had best be left for young girls to answer.
  JamesBanzer | Feb 19, 2018 |
Dedicated to Jack and Adele. See? We told you we were writing a book.
We know what you're thinking" "Hey, who's the dreamboat in the wig?"

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

J. D. Dobson's book Hottest Heads of State is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible