Exit Strategy: The Murderbot Diaries by…

Exit Strategy: The Murderbot Diaries

by Martha Wells

The story of the Murderbot from "All Systems Red" continues in this 4th of four novellas. I've been wanting (and expecting) the story to get to this place ( reconnect with the original team) since the first book, but this installment of the story felt very repetitive of things from the earlier stories - super-hacking abilities, robot angst, snarky humor, and the need to recap in various ways prior events in the story to refresh a reader's memory, but also to allow someone to read this novella as a standalone. The recap stuff is done reasonably well, but still, it is duplicative of things we already know from the earlier books. To be fair, this happens in many series books.

Aside from that. the action in this book is written well, very exciting and I enjoyed how it played out.

It seems funny to me to get emotionally tied to a cyborg-like robot, but you do in these books. This short series has been a fun offbeat trip, I'll give it that. ( )
  RBeffa | Feb 4, 2019 |
Maybe not quite as good as the previous three novellas in the series (particularly 1 & 3) this does appear to wrap up the sequence dealing with the conflict between Dr. Mensah & her colleagues and the GrayChris Corporation as Murderbot decides it has to intervene when it gets the news that Mensah is an apparent hostage of GrayChris. The live question is what does the corporate management really want: Money? Revenge? Or possibly something more. If you've read the preceding books you'll certainly want to read this one. Then we'll see what Wells does with the full-length novel. ( )
  Shrike58 | Jan 27, 2019 |
As our story continues, Murderbot once again finds himself defending those that hate him and trying to rescue those that find themselves kidnapped. Struggling with the organic and augmented portions of itself, Murderbot also struggles to deal with emotions - emotions he often he feels he'd be better off without. Swashbuckling his way into our hearts, Murderbot manages to be a conflicted hero for our times while proving to be more humane than the humans he serves. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 25, 2019 |
This fourth novella in the Murderbot series effectively serves as a finale while leaving the door open for further adventures of my favorite Security Unit. The good news is that it appears that Martha Wells is working on a full length novel that will continue the story.

The series is narrated by a part organic, part android security unit who refers to itself as Murderbot. It hates dealing with humans but continues to be forced into situation where it's in charge of keeping them safe.

It's hard to say much about the plot without giving away too much from the previous books. This was a well done ending to the ongoing story. I still love Murderbot's asides and snide comments.

Wells has created an interesting universe and populated it with interesting characters both human and machine or some mix of both. I look forward to more from Murderbot in the future.

Go get the first one (All Systems Red) and start reading. ( )
1 vote SuziQoregon | Jan 4, 2019 |
I really can barely find words to express my love for these books. The main character, Murderbot, is (let’s see how alliterative I can get) an antisocial, aro-ace, agender, possibly autistic android who would just like to be left alone to watch space sitcoms, but instead has to spend much of its time protecting humans who just can’t protect themselves. Also it is extremely sarcastic. Being in its head is a treat.

The plots of the four novellas so far in the series are ostensibly about protecting people and staying incognito and researching the event that somehow led to Murderbot hacking its own programming in the first place, and those are important and interesting, of course, but the real focus of the story is on the emotional journey and growth that Murderbot takes over the course of the series; everything from learning to not freak out around crowds to learning to make friends to learning to articulate its own desires and needs beyond the absolute minimum.

I haven’t reread the series yet, so I don’t know if it holds up to a second reading, but I imagine it will. The voice Wells created for Murderbot is simply a joy to read and the universe it inhabits is vast and fascinating. Also, Wells has been tapped to write a full-length novel continuing the series, which is fantastic!
  bluesalamanders | Dec 31, 2018 |

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,527,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible