Exit strategy by Martha Wells

Exit strategy (edition 2018)

by Martha Wells

Member:jen.e.moore
Title:Exit strategy
Authors:Martha Wells
Info:New York : Tor Books, October 2018.
Collections:Your library, ebooks
Tags:science fiction, artificial intelligence, personhood

Exit Strategy by Martha Wells

What Made Me Read It It's the final book of The Murderbot Diaries series and the conclusion of the deliciously sarcastic & space netflix addicted SecUnit's story arc.
The Good "Exit Strategy" is the fourth and final novella of The Murderbot Diaries series. If you haven't read the previous books and you're not familiar with the story, in book one "All Systems Red" we're introduced to Murderbot, an introvert and socially awkward SecUnit (security unit) cyborg, who, after a particularly disastrous mission, secretly hacked its own governor module that forced it to obey orders. Murderbot is hired to protect a team of scientists lead by Dr. Mensah from the mysterious GrayCris Corporation, who is intent on killing the team during a planetary survey mission. In book two "Artificial Condition", Murderbot leaves Dr. Mensah to find the truth behind the disastrous mission where it unwillingly killed its own clients. In book three "Rogue Protocol", Murderbot learns about an abandoned terraforming project owed by the same GrayCris corporation that tried to kill Dr. Mensah in book one, and decides to find and collect the necessary evidence to help the doctor in her case against the scheming corporation. In this fourth and final book "Exit Strategy", Murderbot comes full circle to reunite with Dr. Mensah's team, rescue the doctor from the clutches of GrayCris and bring the corporation to justice, ending the story arc. "Exit Strategy" is a good and satisfying conclusion to the series. Despite the short novella length it has in-depth worldbuilding, plenty of tense and suspenseful action sequences, infectious dry humor with quick and witty dialogue but also deep emotional moments and thought provoking moral questions. It's an entertaining and enjoyable read that makes us care about the characters and the outcome of the story. At the heart of The Murderbot Diaries series is Murderbot's character exploration and development, its journey of self discovery from a SecUnit who hacked its own governor module so it could spend more time watching space soap-operas, to a fully fleshed out person with feelings, a strong sense of identity and a determination to stay independent.
Read the full review on: https://literaryportals.blogspot.com/2018/10/book-review-exit-strategy-murderbot.html
Final Rating "Exit Strategy" is an action-packed introspective space-opera novella, with plenty of fight sequences but also deep character development and philosophical questions on the nature of personhood. Recommended for those who enjoy sci-fi espionage thrillers with plenty of sarcastic humor and socially awkward AI characters dealing with unwanted human emotions. ( )
1 vote LiteraryPortals | Nov 11, 2018 |
Once again, Murderbot is the most delightful and relatable construct in fiction. This book is absolutely the culmination of the previous novellas, and as such it's hard to sum up the plot. It's also rough going for the first few pages if you haven't read the others recently: I'd recommend a binge-read to get caught up. But the action is good, the emotions are real (if complex and difficult to understand), and I cannot wait for next year's full-length novel. ( )
  jen.e.moore | Nov 8, 2018 |
A very satisfying “season finale”, which pulls together threads from the previous novellas into a high-stakes, fast-paced conclusion. Murderbot, a rogue SecUnit, has been gathering evidence of corporate wrongdoing under its own initiative. But its investigation has been noticed and Dr Mensah, who legally owns Murderbot, is in trouble.

I continue to be delighted by Murderbot -- sarcastic, socially-anxious, obsessed with serials, reluctantly caring, still working out what it means to be a bot with autonomy and feelings. Unlike in Rogue Protocol, Murderbot is very attached to the humans it is working with here, and Murderbot has a lot of complicated emotions about being attached to humans. Moreover, with these humans it doesn’t need to pretend, because they know who it is. I like that Murderbot has people who want to support it.

I enjoyed this enormously. Read it and then reread it. Bookmarked all the quotes. Next up is apparently a Murderbot novel -- more Murderbot, hurray!

(Possibly I was overthinking this. I do that: it’s the anxiety that comes with being a part-organic murderbot. The upside was paranoid attention to detail. The downside was also paranoid attention to detail.) ( )
1 vote Herenya | Nov 4, 2018 |
I had a great time with this newest installment in the Murderbot Diaries series. After reading the previous three installments in the series, I knew that I was going to have to read about Murderbot's further adventures just as soon as I could. This is a novella length piece that could easily be read in a single evening. I do think that this series is best read in order since this newest entry touched on things that happened in previous adventures quite often. This story was everything that I had hoped it would be.

Everything comes full circle in the series with Murderbot working to help Dr. Mensah who we met in the first installment. As soon as the SecUnit finds out that Dr. Mensah is in trouble, immediate plans are made to get close and offer assistance. Things are pretty tense at times and there is a whole lot of excitement that had me at the edge of my seat.

I loved seeing how much Murderbot has grown over the course of the series. There are feelings in this book. Real feelings. Everyone's favorite SecUnit seems to be having a whole lot of feelings for an anti-social cyborg. There is a lot more interaction with others that is done quite willingly and there are times with the SecUnit is willing to self-sacrifice if necessary. I love Murderbot's internal dialogue and really appreciated its sense of humor.

I would recommend this series to others. I think that this book had a great blend of excitement and action. I am so glad that I have had the chance to go along with Murderbot as it tries to find its place in the world. I will definitely be reading any future books in the series.

I borrowed a copy of this book from my local library. ( )
  Carolesrandomlife | Oct 27, 2018 |
Sort of like a scraping together of the less fascinating parts of the earlier three books - mostly Murderbot hacking through systems to protect itself and it's people. No fascinating new places or uncovered scandals. But some insights into Murderbot itself. ( )
  quondame | Oct 25, 2018 |

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,187,603 books! | Top bar: Always visible