The Prisoner of Limnos by Lois McMaster…

This new chapter in the novella series featuring Learned Penric, his daemon Desdemona, and the widow Nikys, is an episode in which Penric rescues Niky's mother from prison. To accomplish the brave deed, Penric and Desdemona call on the skills another of Desdemona's previous hosts, Ruchia, who was a temple divine, scholar, and spy.

Light-hearted and quick moving, this series is fun to read, although it doesn't have much depth. Ms Bujold is one of my favorite authors.

I received a review copy of "The Prisoner of Limnos: A Fantasy Novella in the World of the Five Gods" by Lois McMaster Bujold (Subterranean) through NetGalley.com. ( )
  Dokfintong | Jan 31, 2019 |
Very enjoyable story that further develops the relationship between Penric and Nikys.
Her mother is held prisoner on the Island of Limnos, a place dedicated to the Daughter.
I love the practicality and common sense of both mother and daughter. There is a wonderful moment when Nikys is praying to the Daughter and wondering what to say/ask for, and then realises that she is doing what any daughter should do for her mother, and changes her prayer to an offering.
The theology of this entire series is wonderfully consistent and very believable. ( )
  JudithProctor | Feb 6, 2018 |
I’ve been listening to the Penric and Desdemona novellas as audiobooks, but I didn't want to wait for The Prisoner of Limnos audiobook to be released. No way was I waiting.

The Prisoner of Limnos is both a standalone adventure and the third installment of a larger story, following on from Penric’s Mission and Mira’s Last Dance. It’s an interesting case of themes and variations. Another member of Nikys’s family requires rescue, and although the circumstances are rather different, the politics behind it are the same (namely, her brother Adelis has enemies in high places). Penric takes inspiration from Desdemona for another disguise. Nikys is given another example of people whose personal relationships are successful despite being unusually, unconventionally, complicated.

The story probably would have been slightly more tense if I had listened to the audiobook and events had unfolded more slowly (for me, I mean), but that seems to be an acceptable price for finding out what happened next sooner. Especially since this is a much better place to leave Pen and co. than the end of Mira’s Last Dance.

One gives you the shirt off his back, mused Des, and the other offers to help you bury bodies. I do believe you have made some new friends, Pen!
Hush, Pen thought back. But he believed so, too.
  Herenya | Nov 27, 2017 |
Penric travels with Nikys to rescue her mother who has been imprisoned in the Daughter's House on the island of Limnos. They are traveling with Bosha, a eunuch, who is the private secretary of Tanar who has been courted by Nikys's brother. Meanwhile, Penric is trying to court Nikys who is a widow and who is worried about sharing Penric with his twelve demons among other things. Great story. ( )
  kmartin802 | Nov 15, 2017 |

Lois McMaster Bujoldprimary authorall editionscalculated
Saint-Onge, LaurenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

In this sequel novella to "Mira's Last Dance", Temple sorcerer Penric and the widow Nikys have reached safety in the duchy of Orbas when a secret letter from a friend brings frightening news: Nikys's mother has been taken hostage by her brother's enemies at the Cedonian imperial court, and confined in a precarious island sanctuary.

Their own romance still unresolved, Nikys, Penric, and of course Desdemona must infiltrate the hostile country once more, finding along the way that family relationships can be as unexpectedly challenging as any rescue scheme.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,399,092 books! | Top bar: Always visible